Author Topic: Board recommendations for the chop  (Read 10004 times)

Seawalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Board recommendations for the chop
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 07:49:57 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions.

Unless something comes up used I’ll probably go with a Generation in 28”. I’ll post back when I do

white water

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2022, 04:59:00 PM »
Beautiful video, Creek.
11' Yolo Coastal Cruiser (1st board ever)
9'3" Stu Sharpe Honeybadger
8’11” Sunova SP25

Seawalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2022, 12:20:27 PM »
Maestros,

I was reading an old thread about the Infinity Blackfish, Luc mentioned that the 14 x 27 was a lot unless your a big dude - that I am not! At 160lb with extra padding to shed, would this make the board feel more buoyant - corky, what are the disadvantages ? Like Is there a trade off between going wider for stability but gaining too much volume?

I did wind up reserving a Starboard Gen, but then the shop called last week and said they won’t be getting any until August now! But I can still order one online.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 12:23:46 PM by Seawalker »

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2022, 12:37:26 PM »
Yes to the cork factor - really noticed it when recently when I borrowed a 14’x30” JP down in the DR for a paddle out to the reef and back. There was a lot of board to push through the chop. Where my svelte 14’x24” just pierces and can sometimes get really low in the water line yet keeps on going.
For me personally- I like my surf sups and the one racebaord that settled on to have barely enough float. Hope that helps

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2022, 04:01:33 PM »
Maestros,

I was reading an old thread about the Infinity Blackfish, Luc mentioned that the 14 x 27 was a lot unless your a big dude - that I am not! At 160lb with extra padding to shed, would this make the board feel more buoyant - corky, what are the disadvantages ? Like Is there a trade off between going wider for stability but gaining too much volume?

I did wind up reserving a Starboard Gen, but then the shop called last week and said they won’t be getting any until August now! But I can still order one online.

I do a lot of steep chop and quartering, and I prefer low volume/low profile a bit wide/narrow tail (25~27 is considered extremely wide these days...) at 170+ lbs, that is what works for me. YMMV.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Seawalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2022, 07:46:46 AM »
Thanks guys, very helpful. The idea of quartering or punching through chop trying to keep a battleship on course doesn’t sound fun. Maybe I should be going 24.5-26 max

Seawalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2022, 03:50:13 PM »
Thought I’d post an update for the archives. Starboard Generation finally arrived. I got the 12’6 x 28 Lite tech.

My first impressions of the board is that it is great for the chop! There is a huge difference just riding into a little boat wake. The bow doesn’t get knocked around around as easy as my iSUP.

On flat water, I didn’t notice that much difference in speed compared to my Red sport 11. The generation definitely looses some water line with the kicked up bow. And you hear the water slapping underneath the nose as a reminder.

The board feels a *little narrow (to me anyway) but is surprisingly stable. The wider point is forward of the Handle which gives that perception.  I also think the double concave bottom shape and the rails really push back as the board rolls.

Overall, pretty much agree with all the reviews out there on the generation!. Seems like a great all around board. I was tempted to go with the SiC Okeanos 27”, but the wider tail and new higher price steered me away. The generation is definitely a great value!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 03:53:28 PM by Seawalker »

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2022, 09:44:26 AM »
Awesome that you’re stoked with the board. Surf some of those boat wakes!
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal