Author Topic: Best board leash for winging in waves  (Read 6609 times)

DCSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best board leash for winging in waves
« on: January 08, 2022, 11:05:42 AM »

Which is better , waist leash or Ankle leash  in the surf ?  Seems like ankle leash will keep you further away from foil.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Best board leash for winging in waves
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 11:25:31 AM »
Good question and I would also like to know what length of leash people are using for winging in general.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 01:14:17 PM »
In waves I prefer wing leash on belt, board leash on ankle or calf. Wing leash on belt so you can paddle freely with your arms, and if caught by a big wave you don't destroy your shoulder and can hold onto board with both hands if duck diving. Board on ankle to help keep leashes from tangling you up completely and adds a little more length to board leash to help keep it away from wing.

Downwinding I put board leash on waist belt too.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 05:33:56 PM »
I can't say enough good things about a reel leash on a belt. The key trick is to put a short chunk of regular leash between the reel and the board so it's not constantly tugging and it provides some spring when the reel hits the end of its travel. I absolutely HATE the way leg leashes get tangled up in the foil and on my toes and the way the skip on the water is mildly annoying. The reel is completely out of the way and never gets snagged on my feet. And I can kick the board away when I'm crashing and it's LONG gone and well clear of me when the crash happens.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 06:56:47 PM »
What dns said  8)
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 06:58:38 PM »
DNS I second that emotion 8)
Never was much of a fan for kiting but fue the wing foil is the best.. Just recommend to take the metan clip off the end and just use larks head or other velcro type connector and /or quick release system.

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 04:03:44 AM »
I use a Kaohi 5’ straight leash and attach it above my calf. I previously had a 6’ surf leash that was frequently tangling on the foil, but the 5’ one almost never does. I tried a waist leash to board once and it was awful. I use the same 5’ leash for prone also.

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 11:28:25 AM »
4 ft webbing ankle leash for me, no tangles with the wing leash or the foil. Yes, it does drag slightly in the water when the foot it is attached to is at the back of the board, but a tiny thing compared to having it attached to your waist.

Tried the reel leash, didn’t like the board auto returning to me, I kept kicking the foil.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 01:43:50 PM »
4 ft webbing ankle leash for me, no tangles with the wing leash or the foil. Yes, it does drag slightly in the water when the foot it is attached to is at the back of the board, but a tiny thing compared to having it attached to your waist.

I like the idea of webbing because you might be less likely to notice it when you step on it but doesn't it generate a lot of pull on your leg?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 02:46:37 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 09:28:34 PM »
DNS I second that emotion 8)
Never was much of a fan for kiting but fue the wing foil is the best.. Just recommend to take the metan clip off the end and just use larks head or other velcro type connector and /or quick release system.

3x for waist reel leash. I have it attached to a kite shorts harness, so it has a hook for harness, a connection point for wing leash, and a pocket for tools, water, or snacks.  Plus bonus, that rad shorts over wetsuit look all the surfers seek.  ::)

Two negatives to be aware of: 1) the connector on reel is not dependable in serious situations, it can open and you can lose board....so either don't use it when things really matter, or strenghten connector (rubber band, tape, etc).
2) in significant waves, if thing go wrong you need a quick release to get board away from you. I once got tangled with reel leash and wing leash in big dumping waves, no way to release because of shorts harness...had the thought that drowning wouldn't be unrealistic had it gone any worse.  Last weekend another reminder (because I didn't address the issue, duh), coming in through large shore dump, no way to manage both wing and board, was handcuffed as I couldn't pick up board and run, also couldn't abandon it and run...stuck in the bad place for too many waves.  Solution: either attached to a belt with a clip instead of seat harness (and ensure you can't lose reel off it), or attach via a kite leash release to the seat harness. 

But overall, in bigger surf, i think I'd trust a regular surf leash more. I don't use reel leash for surf or sup foiling.

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 12:00:52 AM »

I like the idea of webbing because you might be less likely to notice it when you step on it but doesn't it generate a lot of pull on your leg?

I use an ankle leash when SUP surfing, heaps of pull from one of those, no problem.

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 08:17:23 AM »
My reel leash board clip snapped in a SUP foil over-the falls incident (The system was second hand and pretty old) but for winging I really like it. I'll sometimes use a 6' coiled ankle leash which has been secure, doesn't drag, and has yet to trip me or get in my toes while winging unlike the straight ankle leashes I've tried.
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 12:17:56 PM »
waist reel leash

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 02:30:31 PM »
This is what I use:

https://balin.com.au/products/01-supdw

6 feet coil calf leash.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 06:45:48 AM »
As far as wing leashes, I trust none of them.  They all seem too short and delicate, especially in high wind situations and in waves.  I now use a 7 foot Big Wave 8mm StayCovererd leash which I have coiled myself(using a bicycle seat post and boiling water).  The extra length gives me all the room in the world to get completely tangled and still successfully execute the maneuver. I can de-tangle later on the next run.  My leash is attached to 2 waist belts and to the leading edge handle of the wing.  If shit goes wrong, It won't be my fault.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal