Author Topic: Redesigned 2022 Starboard Sprint Looks Similar to the Waterline  (Read 4218 times)

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Redesigned 2022 Starboard Sprint Looks Similar to the Waterline
« on: January 01, 2022, 10:22:55 AM »
Happy New Year everyone,

I noticed the 2022 Sprint is redesigned with a new hull shape: https://sup.star-board.com/paddle-board/hard-paddle-board/sprint/

It now looks awfully similar to the Waterline! https://sup.star-board.com/paddle-board/hard-paddle-board/waterline/

I wonder if the folks at Starboard realized that the 2021 Waterline was indeed faster than the 2021 Sprint for most paddlers?
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Redesigned 2022 Starboard Sprint Looks Similar to the Waterline
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 03:46:05 PM »
I don't know about faster but certainly more doable for more paddlers stability and price wise.
From what I could tell the Waterline was well accepted and I credit it to its looks.
Borrowing design features from classic fast shapes applying it to an everyday board.

I think Starboard realized that and went that direction with the new 2022 Sprint.
There nothing really new in this board, recycled hull features from the early days of sup
where many features were ported from racing canoes. Rounded bottom, pulled-in nose outline.

It's going to be very fast, but beyond the reach of many paddlers as soon as the water has some texture.
Most companies realized that few years back and abandoned the concept. Starboard hit a wall speed wise
and the concept of narrower / more volume was maxed out so they had to do something to keep the machine going.
in progress...

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 08:01:06 PM »
cool stands under the 2nd one. Need to copy that. My Bark is narrow up front, and round-bottomed - I think it's stable in chop - but is it just so wide it (29") it just feels that way?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 08:32:48 PM »
cool stands under the 2nd one. Need to copy that. My Bark is narrow up front, and round-bottomed - I think it's stable in chop - but is it just so wide it (29") it just feels that way?

Nice and wide, extra long with a nice amount of rocker would make it a lot more stable, more like the touring canoes. It is a good design reference of older sup models.
When they started to scale down to a 14x27.5 and under like the Melvin and Morelli sup a lot of people had hard time with stability in mixed conditions.
in progress...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 09:37:56 AM »
Yes interesting after them saying the bevelled and square rail was faster for years to know go rounded.
 I would say that looks like a pretty tippy board with that fine nose and rounded rails. Obviously they think so as they are saying you need a wider board than last year.
 I think it will come down to preference, some people are faster on a stable board and can put the power in. Some have better balance and are faster on a narrower board.
 Goes back too if you cant stand up on it its not fast.
 Will be interesting to see what your normal people think of it.
 Some other brands have always stood by the rounded rails and only gone square at the tail.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 10:11:02 AM »
Looks more than a bit like the old Speedboard.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 11:37:42 AM »
Somewhere Joe Bark is smiling! 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal