Author Topic: New to the sport.  (Read 3375 times)

1chef1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New to the sport.
« on: May 01, 2009, 05:19:05 PM »
Aloha,

Here's the story, started surfing at 14, 52 now.  Looking at any information to help me get started.  First issue, have not surfed for many years,  had a bad snowboarding crash at whistler, torn rotor cuff, had surgery 5 months ago, doctor says it's time to get it going.  At 5'11" 165 and fair shape, but week from lack of all things I am into.  I see this sport everyday going to Lahaina and  I am so ready to get into it.  Really want to focus on the health issues and getting back in the water.  Want to cruise and get strong, but also want to surf.  Wave knowledge and skills are still with me, but like I said very week and somewhat lost in the stand up world.  Any info would be great, board size, paddle size, etc. Mahalo for your help, again can't wait to get back out and feel home again.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:54:57 PM by 1chef1 »

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: New to the sport.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:40:28 PM »
Aloha 1chef1,
I take it your in Maui. You may want contact the gang at Lighting Bolt Maui. They have stand-up board, paddle, and can custom make any size board you want.     http://www.lightningboltmaui.com

Frank is a good friend of mine. He'll probably show you a thing or two on the fundamental, safety, and proper posture for padding.

PM me if you need a contact number or further information.... :)

Aloha.....Sam
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:58:21 PM by Sam Pa'e »

1chef1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 06:02:25 PM »
Mahalo Sam,

Yes Lighting Bolt has been around as long as I have been in Maui, over 25 years.  They moved from their last location, need to check them out.  I  remember the first time i saw Gerry out surfing Dumps, huge, he was unreal and so mellow, but don't even think about getting the set wave, he was all over it, I  never forget it.   Mahalo Sam

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:20:57 PM »
First - Go to Upcountry Fitness in Haiku and ask for Izaak Tyrell. He's a trainer there who specializes in physical rehab, as well as he's done the channel crossing races SUP and loves wave SUP (so he can really help you). I sent my husband, who had had 15 shoulder dislocations over his lifetime, to Upcountry Fitness, and they took him from barely being able to have any shoulder rotation to now he's SUP head high's with NO pain and NO injury. The trainers are truly great there.  :) Deb

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 09:06:22 PM »
Chef, I think you'll find SUP great for your shoulders. It sure has been for mine. I've had a lot of surgeries, I won't bother with the details, suffice it to say my shoulders are junk and SUP helped them greatly.

Your paddle choice will be important. I'd probably get one of Jimmy Lewis' paddles with the small blade, NOT the peahi. They have a huge amount of flex in the shaft which will be good for your shoulders. You'll probably have to contact Jimmy directly, I don't know if any shop is selling his paddles. Make sure to keep the paddle a little short. You don't want to raise your upper arm too high above your shoulder with a dodgy cuff. Probably something around 77-78".

I also found Malama wood paddles to be really good for my shoulders. I think the wood dampens out vibration. That's just a guess, but I'm not the only one that swears his paddles are particularly easy on the shoulders.

With your light weight you have a lot of board choices, but I'd start off with something fairly big, just so you won't be flailing around too much. You might rent rather than buy for the first few times, or hook up with the Maui crowd and borrow something for awhile. You'll find your progress will be surprisingly fast. Time on the water is all it will take. The shoulders will hurt for a while, but the good, tired hurt not the hot stabs of an injury.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 09:42:56 PM »
You are coming into the sport at such a good time.. Lots of equipment around.. Not like when a lot of us started.

I would say, go to Hi Tech or one of the other shops and rent a big board and paddle for a weekend or two. I think the Big Laird would be a great start. Way too big for your weight for your main board but perfect for a starter... Big and stable. You can rent for I think $35 a day with paddle. They may apply to purchase.  You want to go somewhere like 1000 Peaks or Puamana.. try for early, no wind.  The paddle is probably not as critical as the board. With your shoulder issues, I would go with a smaller blade.. I love the Werner Carve.. HI Island carries... pretty inexpensive too. $225 or so. Dont be afraid to buy used board. The first board you buy you will most likely outgrow fairly quickly. You're kinda light so will most likely want a 10'6" or smaller once you actually buy a board.

Have fun and say Hi...   ;D

Jon E.B.

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 05:22:20 PM »
Small steps, bro...
You're gonna love it!

1chef1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 09:08:55 PM »
First - Go to Upcountry Fitness in Haiku and ask for Izaak Tyrell. He's a trainer there who specializes in physical rehab, as well as he's done the channel crossing races SUP and loves wave SUP (so he can really help you). I sent my husband, who had had 15 shoulder dislocations over his lifetime, to Upcountry Fitness, and they took him from barely being able to have any shoulder rotation to now he's SUP head high's with NO pain and NO injury. The trainers are truly great there.  :) Deb

MAHALO,

I live upcountry and have heard good things about Upcountry Fitness, cool for your husband, can't wait for the same head highs on a paddle board.

JK ;)

1chef1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:20:38 PM »
Mahalo PonoBill,

Just watching this you can see it's going to have a huge impact of the recovery process.   Thanks for the positive feedback on the pain's of shoulders.  I've only seen paddles from a distance, never knew about all of the sizes and flex. 

Mahalo

;D

1chef1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
Mahalo noworrieshawaii,

No Worries, classic my friend.  Yes, the sport seems like a perfect time to be getting into, the boards are so different to me, I check them out and they just seem so massive, very cool.  Looking at them, you know this is going to be a fine time.  I knew this site would be helpful, already you can see all the Aloha in the feedback. Again Mahalo for the info.  Your right about 1000 peaks and Puamana, with the light Konas today it was almost glass this evening.
 8)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal