Author Topic: Foil Stoke- SHARE IT FOR SANTA!!!!  (Read 4916 times)

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Foil Stoke- SHARE IT FOR SANTA!!!!
« on: December 20, 2021, 08:08:03 PM »
Folks, I am going to leave this real open and keep it simple,
I am so stoked to be foiling. I give it all to my brother who planted the seed in my head. 
To me this took surfing not to the next level, but to 5 levels above it.

It started foil surfing, now its winging and towing for me, fortunately.

Admin, I put this here as its the most used section.

CALL TO ACTION: Please post your stoke. thanks.

-Merry FoilNess!

-red

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foil Stoke- SHARE IT FOR SANTA!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 08:20:16 AM »
Yes Brother!!!!!! Watching you and others that I have nudged into foiling become foaming foil frothers is just as fun as foiling myself. Here in Reno, I am surrounded by skiers, so I start with

For skiers: "Do you like to ski powder? Wanna do it all the time with no lines? In your trunks for half the year? Foiling."

For surfers: "Wanna turn blow out knee high slop into world class conditions? Foiling"

For kiters: "Still satisfied doing you 3 tricks ad nauseum that you have been doing for 15 years? Do you want to be born again? You can re live the stoke you had learning to kite. Tired of dealing with crowded launches and accessibility? Foiling

For poleboarders: "Really? Still poleboarding?"

Happy Foiling!
-Sendy Clause

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 08:39:23 AM »
Started foiling in 2018 and the froth has been 110% since.  Before then, waiting on swells for a shot at some decent shortboarding was almost always a letdown at my local. 

Fam asks me what I want for Xmas, and I'm like, 'I'm good!  I buy all the foiling gear I want throughout the year, that's all I need!"

Life can be broken down into Pre-Foiling Initiation / Post-Foiling Initiation.  (I guess pre marriage/post marriage and kids et al as well  :P)

Local crew is growing and its great to see the stoke.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 02:01:31 PM »
Been at it for over a year now. I love how I revert to a complete kook whenever I have to learn a new skill or trick. It's like being a kid all over again!

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 03:42:38 PM »
Had one of my best sessions last night. 20+ wind, 6-8ft Hawaiian surf. It was big and unruly. Bumpy and lumpy. Just me and a buddy taking off on everything that came through.  We stayed out till dark.  Before winging I wouldn't have even gotten wet, but now these days are the best days ever.  Foiling is fun, but winging has taken everything up to a whole new level. 

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 04:09:48 PM »
Winter winging in Rhode Island on Dec. 19. Took a couple pics of my friend Shane with iphone 13. We are stoked!!

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 10:26:28 PM »
So much stoke!

Just a little than 5 years ago I ordered a gofoil setup.  It would be 6 months before I had the foil in hand AND a tuttle box in my board.  Earlier this year I passed 500 foil surfing sessions.

From the original Maliko, to the IWA, getting a longer mast, M200, going from a converter to a foil specific board, the joy of a chopped tail, GL series and the glide revelation, learning to pump for real with the NL series, and the KD Maui tail revolution.  Designing my own foil board that came out great.  Then Takuma Kujira and now the ART.  I can peg very specific improvements in my riding attributed to every single gear transition for me - and it continues to get better and better!  What I can't believe is how much there is still to learn, and how much I know the gear is going to continue to improve enabling all kinds of improvement in kind. 

But enough about gear. 

Every single time I get out of the water, I've realize that I had a nice session.  Just last week I got in the water and was literally the only soul in the water as far as I could see.  Absolute trash conditions, and here I was foiling up a storm and having a great time.   I couldn't catch my breath because as soon as I paddled back out, here comes a wave I need to spin and grab.  Where is everybody? 

For years I missed out on the really good days because I can't run for the beach whenever its good.  I have specific windows to go surf between family and work.  Now without fail every single time those available windows are 100% enjoyable - I honestly can't think of a bad session except when I break a leash or break some gear and have to go in early.

The wave count is so high, I get out of the water completely spent.  And whenever I can't be in the water I want to geek out about foiling. 

I can't believe I've been so high on the same thing for almost 5 years.

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 08:00:41 AM »
So stoked on foiling of any type. I started surfing when i was 9 or 10 on a beater of a longboard that I could only carry on my head. As a teenager I started shortboarding and was heavily into it until my 30s. I went to Hawaii on my honeymoon and it basically killed surfing (in Maine) for me. Water of the perfect temp, reef breaks with deep water channels, no wetsuit... then I came home to 2' gutless mush, close-out beach breaks in a 5 mil suit. I took up rock and ice climbing & snowboarding and moved to the mountains.

Then I saw a local guy pumping on a lake and knew I had to check that out. After one session I was up past midnight looking for boats on Craigslist, then woke up and 5:30 and searched some more. So at 62 I had a boat and a wake foil and there has been no stopping. I started wing and prone foiling at age 63 and I feel like I'm 16 again.

I spent 2 1/2 months living in my van chasing wind and waves. I will exceed that in 2022!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 09:10:39 AM »
I surfed a bit in the 70s. Windsurfed for 5 years in the late 70s/early 80s. Cruised sailboats for most of my life. I was thinking of taking up surfing again in my mid-50s until I saw three SUPs surfing a remote point break in southern Maine and immediately said that's for me. I bought a board, caught some waves on my first day, and was immediatly addicted. That was 2013. SUP has gotten old and a little boring. I'm 64 now and started wing foiling over the summer. I've been obsessed with it since day one. This should keep me busy for another ten years.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2021, 06:05:10 PM »
Just a little less than 5 years ago . . . From the original Maliko, to the IWA, getting a longer mast, M200, going from a converter to a foil specific board, the joy of a chopped tail, GL series and the glide revelation, learning to pump for real with the NL series, and the KD Maui tail revolution.  Designing my own foil board that came out great.  Then Takuma Kujira and now the ART. . . .

My path paralleled JonDrums with my home break being Pillar Point, California (includes Mavericks) but I also spend my summers on the East coast.  This past June I caught more waves in Connecticut and Rhode Island than any other single month of my life, and I would bet more waves than anyone in New England.  Why?  Because of the foil.  How do I know this?  Because the waves were TOO SMALL TO SURF.  There I was the guy from the West coast paddling out SOLO into the fog in 6" surf.  I taught myself to catch and pump up on NOTHING with the Maliko M280 (thank you PonoBill).

In 2018 I pulled up to a great Rhode Island break and saw a guy with a foil.  His name was Paul Murray.  That summer we were the only 2 people SUP foiling, or foiling at all (without kites).  This sport has made every mushy, crappy ZERO to 20 foot wave spot a FOIL HEAVEN.

1) Wave Count
2) Typical Forecast
3) What it looked like during the last week of June (Good Sunny Day)
4) Surf Amigo Paul on a glistening wave
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 06:13:01 PM by Beasho »

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 09:31:38 PM »
Beasho- I met Paul this fall winging down in south county RI. He's the mayor for sure! There's a big crew of super stoked foilers down there. I had an epic wing session at that spot in the pics on a strong east wind with sizable surf a month ago or so. Paul said I was the first guy to score that setup there. There are some other SUPfoilers who ride all summer at some semi secret surf spots on the other side of the state. There's alot of downwinding going on in the Newport area as well in big, open ocean conditions. And this is just Rhode Island. Cape Cod has some unique setups too. So much foiling conditions to explore in New England.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 05:25:44 AM »
I love it. And I'm barely started. Picked up winging so I could learn to foil with an eye towards surf foiling and haven't stopped winging long enough to really focus on prone.

For me it's the availability, as has been mentioned. At home I can go to a tiny lake when the wind is bad on the ocean and that's added so many days to my year.

Now I'm sitting in a resort in Cancun miles from a surf break but I can step 50 feet out of my room and launch a wing and go chase bumps. I don't need perfect conditions or a named break. It's democratized surf sports in a way that's unbelievable. The alternative If I wanted to get a horrible session on a wavestorm would be a 20 min drive each way for a place that could hold maybe 6 surfers for 10 second rides.

As to the stoke, I met 2 foilers from Mexico online and am hitting a secret spot with them tomorrow if conditions work out. That's pretty unlikely with surfing. The scarcity is removed, the friendliness is increased. Viva progress.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 08:12:29 AM »
Hey cowboy. Get your wing over to Cozumel while you are near. Beautiful island      ( when I was there )  I had my 1 and only windsurfing session there. Still have some of the flaky white sand in a bottle here at home. Enjoy your Christmas 🎄

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2021, 08:27:32 AM »
Foil Stoke on Christmas morning - the kids are happily chugging away playing their brand new games and I'm making the rounds on the foil forums.  I just finished packing up my foils and wings into a golf bag to head down to Mexico tomorrow.    Let's hope we have some wind.    Happy Holidays everyone!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2021, 09:39:09 AM »
Foil Stoke on Christmas morning - the kids are happily chugging away playing their brand new games and I'm making the rounds on the foil forums.  I just finished packing up my foils and wings into a golf bag to head down to Mexico tomorrow.    Let's hope we have some wind.    Happy Holidays everyone!

There is wind in the Harbor right now Jon.  Merry Christmas to all!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal