Stand Up Paddle > Flatwater and Touring

Actually rather sketch winter paddle

(1/3) > >>

deepmud:
I have been down and back up the Knik a few times last winter but I wanted to share the trip with a new paddling buddy(kayaker and new to that as well as to Alaska).As a kayak it's actually tougher to get across sandbars upstream than on sup sup the trip needed to be doswnstream only. Turns out my newbie kayaker was barely able to overcome the current even without a sandbar screwingup thr stroke. I really should have done this run once as a one-way at least once before bringing anyone else. It turned out just fine tho. No pics at the sketchy part . Too much serious paddling.

deepmud:
Pics as we coasted along with the current.  It was about -20 in the area.

deepmud:
The sand bars are too soupy walk on but too thick to paddle through.  The kayak would just stick while I was able to kneel and push with one foot. Or sometimes walk while leaning on the Bark.

deepmud:
So no images of the sketchy part.  It was a fast current at the bridge where we left the car. Nothing looked good as I coasted in so I turned back up stream. There was an opening just behind the bridge support, a notch in the ice and I paddled up while hopping back a step to raise the nose just as it needed to slide up one the ice shelf. After 6 or 7ft were up I stepped off onto the ice.

deepmud:
The Relive video shows the route including the back track upstream. This was the first time I felt I had bitten off more than I could chew. A guide cannot depend on the guided for assistance.  A companion for a new route needs to be of equal experience. And a sup has some advantages over a kayak. I can just step off onto the ice. This is a huge advantage. Edit: the water at the end gets a boost in volume from a different river mixing in, the Matanuska. And at the same time it is forced to a narrow channel.  The current goes from a lazy 3mph to a brisk 4 to 4.5mph right under the highway.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vdvmdmDnNxq

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version