Author Topic: Rule #1 for beginners.  (Read 12663 times)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rule #1 for beginners.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2021, 04:14:34 PM »
On the 3 bigger boards I rode i wouldn't have even got flight if MY foil /mast was all the way back. Maybe in very strong wind it could have worked but in our normal wind, no way.

On the 115 liter  6'7" Starboard I've been riding lately, I have the mast all the way forward and my front foot is still 3" behind the front strap. My 5'1" would have been ok all the way back but not the others.

I had to mod my base plate to get the mast forward enough to find the best spot.(IMO the foil boxes were to far back to begin with on those boards.

The balancing the board helped me realize that my foil had to be all the way forward with those big board.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 04:20:34 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2021, 04:19:32 PM »
Glad to hear you are flying!   I say keep doing whatever works until it stops working.

On my weak side I'm still heavy on my back foot and need to be forward of the mast.  If I'm further back relative to the foil I struggle with control and tend to wheelie and yaw into a wipeout.

Essentially I agree with the analysis of Bill and ninja tuna. 

I go into detail about control and setup in my learn to foil video course.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2021, 04:55:41 PM »
nevermind
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 05:01:38 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2021, 09:09:13 PM »
To put some numbers up there, my foil leading edge is positioned around 50 to 55 cm (from the end of the board) on my 5,6 sup board. Kalama's new downwind 6,5 allows you to position your mast leading edge at 60cm (this is around at 30% of the total length). These are 6,5 kg boards.
In any case, for learning the best advise I have been given is to put your back foot at the end of the mast leading edge. (so 30% of the total length).
But keep in mind that I'm talking about foils that require a lot of front foot pressure. (gofoil, etc).
As you progress, moving your back foot behind the mast is a big advantage for surfing.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2021, 05:22:15 AM »
With the mast all the way back on my 6'4 Naish, my foil leading edge is 70 cm from the end of the tail and the mast leading edge is 47 cm if that means anything.

One thing some of you might not be getting is that your back foot needs to be in front of the rear foot strap to achieve an easy lift-off.  Feet shoulder-width apart.

Anyway, I'm going to keep practicing with it this way until I get used to flying the foil. Anyone struggling with sustained flight should at least try it. I'm still blown away by the incredible session I had.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 05:32:50 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2021, 06:15:45 AM »
Whatever works to get you up on the foil is the way to go. I see my videos and my back foot is so far off to the side almost on the rail and nowhere close to where a back strap would be. That’s why I just use from foot straps.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 06:37:17 AM »
Whatever works to get you up on the foil is the way to go. I see my videos and my back foot is so far off to the side almost on the rail and nowhere close to where a back strap would be. That’s why I just use from foot straps.

I should have said the back foot needs to be forward of the rear footstrap "holes" since I don't use foot straps. 

I see in your latest video that your back foot is over towards the rail a bit but you seem to be sailing along just fine.

I've been going with my stance slightly offset and feel fairly stable with my front toes and back heel over the centerline.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2021, 07:10:36 AM »
Here are my thoughts.

"Do not foil in the lineup or around anyone surfing".."ever"

"Put your feet over the stringer and do not move them".
As you all know, it gets REAL UGLY when you try to save the day on a foil board moving your feet around.
**having said that, now that I know how to foil I move my feet around a bunch ( just in a smaller area)

Learn how to taxi the foil board (on board) down the face to the flat, then stand up. Do not try to go down the line...
*** this changes when you learn what you are doing. I.E. I believe that you want to get to foil ASAP**

Dont get caught up changing tails and front wings based on crappy sessions. Keep it simple and static. Not too many changes from session to session. ( avoid shim wormholes ).

-red
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 07:54:37 AM by red_tx »

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2021, 07:45:20 AM »
#5 Put marks on your deckpad and look to see where your feet are before you bail. On a good ride you need to know where your feet are. Put them back there every time.

#6 if you feel like its to much nose or front foot then pull your back foot forward a bit. Possibly in front of the mast.

**all assume that you have done the balancing technique (KDMaui). Not sure how he got credit for this. We have been doing it for years with RC aircraft. It was the #1 thing to do before flight. ***KDMaui is super talented, a leader in the sport, and one of the best(IMO), its just that he did not invent that balancing technique on flying crafts. ( here I am including water Foils )
 -red
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 07:54:48 AM by red_tx »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2021, 07:53:21 AM »
Kdmaui was big into rc gliders.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2021, 08:01:15 AM »
Kdmaui was big into rc gliders.

Yep I heard that. His tail wings are like little slope gliders.
https://dream-flight.com/products/weasel-trek

-red

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2021, 08:32:57 AM »
Badger, as was said, do what works and be willing to adapt as you learn. And you said it, in the beginning every thing is 2-3 sessions.

As to why, it might be just time. If you read a lot of our beginner stories a bunch of us struggled til we had a breakthrough. For me it wasn't much about gear setup, though that did come into play. But you are lucky that you can feel things at this time. You will progress fast.

I use green painters tape (the good stuff) to mark my feet spots. 1/4" works great and it sticks to a deck pad better than you'd expect. Mark in front of your feet and it'll help you get a reference as was said. I now move my front foot back about an inch or two but the mark helped me see that. Still playing with my back foot position depending on wind speed.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2021, 09:22:59 AM »
Badger, as was said, do what works and be willing to adapt as you learn. And you said it, in the beginning every thing is 2-3 sessions.

As to why, it might be just time. If you read a lot of our beginner stories a bunch of us struggled til we had a breakthrough. For me it wasn't much about gear setup, though that did come into play. But you are lucky that you can feel things at this time. You will progress fast.

I use green painters tape (the good stuff) to mark my feet spots. 1/4" works great and it sticks to a deck pad better than you'd expect. Mark in front of your feet and it'll help you get a reference as was said. I now move my front foot back about an inch or two but the mark helped me see that. Still playing with my back foot position depending on wind speed.

I can pretty much guarantee you that if I were to move the mast forward, I would be right back to the struggle, unable to fly for more than a few seconds. I need more airtime to get used to how it feels to be on foil and to get comfortable with it. Having the mast all the way back will allow me to do that. It may only take 2 or 3 sessions to get the confidence I need to move it forward.

Damn, I thought of using painter's tape but didn't think it would stay on, so I used a sharpie. At least the lines are nice and straight. Hopefully the next owner will appreciate it.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 09:46:57 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2021, 01:03:20 PM »
I've been using sharpie "permanent" markers for years.  Fades over time and I re apply every couple a months or so.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2021, 02:22:06 PM »
=1 on the sharpie . Great way to draw a reference point.  Harder if deck pad is dark
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal