Author Topic: Ready for the Metaverse?  (Read 4181 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ready for the Metaverse?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2022, 06:55:54 PM »
The geek world is going to have a huge collection of these things as the tech and form factor evolves.

I just received a Quest II since I left my original Quest in HR. The II is a bit sharper. and the general software has improved.

Apple needs something new. Making iPhones thinner, faster in ways no user cares about, and adding features to the iWatch is not going to keep the 3 trillion edging ever upwards, though Tim Cook has managed to lock that in with nothing really new to talk about. Which reminds me to kvetch about his unconvincing excitement and awkward gooney bird hand movements. The coaching has taken him as far as it's likely to go--he still looks like an accountant explaining mark to market.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 03:02:27 AM »
That is great Bill.  A few things to check out that have changed since earlier oculus units that aren't immediately apparent.  On the small horizontal menu bar click on the clock itself.  There will be a small eye icon.  Click that to check out the passthrough function.  Your windows, menu's etc will now be superimposed on top of your real world environment.  Granted, the "real world" is grainy and black and white right now, but it takes no imagination to see what is coming next with eight, full color, high res, forward facing cameras (already announced for this year).  There is a new passthrough API now which allows developers to creatively use the passthrough functions.  AR meets VR.  It is really all one thing.  This is all pretty wild because those black and white cameras were not originally intended for passthrough.  They were just going to be for hand motion etc but some smart people got their hands on these and said, hey now.  There is also a setting to allow passthrough by tapping twice on the headset itself.  This enables you to walk freely around in your environment without removing the headset.  Great if you need to take a virtual leak.

Then go to settings Click the clock again and click the gear (settings) in the top right corner.  Find experimental settings.  Here you will want to enable multi tasking, bluetooth device pairing, desk and couch location, etc.  Most of this cool stuff is very recent.  You can check out all of the preset environments as well.

Sidequest is a sideloading app which allows you to load thousands of common programs, environments, and apps including most android apps.  It is easy to set up and use. 

Lastly (or maybe do this first), Download and enroll in the trial for the Supernatural app.   This is a great workout app (Chan and I use it every day).  This is a great showcase for VR at is current level.  The interface is much better than the Meta interface.  In the Meta realm, creative developers are showing Meta the future of their own device. 

I don't know the correct tech analogy for what the status quo devices represent on the coming timeline.  Commodore 64?  It feels that way.

Here is a rendering of what Apple is expected to do.  If the expected specs and functionality are correct, things are about to change.  Regardless, we are heading back to what the 90's were for the internet.  A whole world of opportunity is about to open up again.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 06:01:58 AM by Admin »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2022, 08:14:49 AM »
Hi LPB,
/snip/ Cambria  /snip/ Apple /snip/
I would wait for one of those two.

Thanks Randy, I'm not signed up with Facebook, so the Cambria is out.
The pic of the Apple is tempting, but it has to be tethered to an Iphone, so I can't do that either. 

I'm all in with Google.  Phone, ISP, browser, GSuite and email etc.  Linking all that crap up years ago has saved me countless hours.  Dirt cheap too.   

I'm going to stick to the commercial VR stuff.  I'm still working and thrilled at what's coming thru from Autodesk. 

Jeebus, VR in medicine is mind blowing.  That Varjo site is worth looking around in just for the tiny clips on anatomy.  That really cheers me up.  Hugely optimistic as I get into my 60's. 

Kurzweil says we are on track for Turing test by 2030 and the big kahuna in 2045.  Woo hoo!     
Support your local shaper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2022, 12:15:40 PM »
Hi LPB,

The Apple device (if "leaks" are correct) will be full standalone no phone or Mac required. 

Completely understand avoiding Meta.  It is unclear how high brow the Cambria device will be but I am open to checking it out.  If all they did was improve the optical path that would be pretty good.  They have had two years, though and I imagine it will be impressive.  The Apple device sounds like it is aiming to go very high end with Macbook pro level hardware.  I have high hopes for that one. 

It feels like Kurzweil may be being conservative.  This is coming on fast.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2022, 09:13:21 PM »
AI research has done a hard turn into machine learning, which is potentially more useful but nothing remotely like intelligence. Even genetic algorithms seem like a detour--which is probably fine. I suspect AI will be like fusion, which I really, really hope does not remain 30 years off.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2022, 04:45:24 AM »
This is getting nutty quick.  Meta just rolled out Horizon Venues for their headsets and if you couldn't see the future before, well, it just became crystal clear.  The experience of meeting for virtual events or shared experiences in fully immersive virtual environments sets the mind on fire.  So long, status quo.

It is also wild to see the NFT side of things forming and seeking out its eventual shape.  NFT's make no sense when considered and viewed from the current mode, but in a VR environment, They are logical and manifest.

According to the Financial Times, Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, is looking at ways to allow its users to create and sell non-fungible tokens (NFTs) on its platforms. The article also cites that NFTs are currently a $40 billion market, with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Naturally, it makes sense that Meta would want to explore ways to capitalize on this momentum.

The company's Novi Wallet technology would be powering the service, according to insiders. Instagram is exploring ways to display NFTs while Meta is supposedly working on a marketplace. The FT article states that they are 'at an early stage and could yet change' in terms of progress with this project. However, Instagram's CEO Adam Mosseri stated, last December, that the company is 'actively exploring NFTs and how we can make them more accessible to a wider audience.'

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8091020741/meta-is-working-on-letting-users-create-sell-nfts-on-facebook-and-instagram
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 04:57:44 AM by Admin »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
Dwight (DW)
Today at 02:18:49 PM
post Re: Cover songs.
[Random]
Night Wing
Today at 02:17:34 PM
juandesooka
Today at 01:02:50 PM
post Re: new GONG HA stabs with integrated carbon fuselage
surfcowboy
Today at 12:58:52 PM
jondrums
Today at 10:08:24 AM
post Re: Best light wind wing
WingFoiling!
Today at 10:05:12 AM
StellaBlu
Today at 07:56:31 AM
post Re: The 2022 Duotone Unit
Wingfoil2001
Today at 06:19:54 AM
post Re: Wingfoil Racing in New England!!
MikeLima
Today at 04:04:06 AM
post Re: Best light wind wing
Dwight (DW)
Today at 03:54:39 AM
post Best light wind wing
WingFoiling!
Today at 12:45:39 AM
post Re: The 2022 Duotone Unit
wingdingjoe
May 25, 2022, 08:21:56 PM
cnski
May 25, 2022, 07:02:41 PM
post Re: 2022 New Wings Thread
deja vu
May 25, 2022, 04:08:49 PM
radair
May 25, 2022, 04:00:40 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal