Author Topic: Ready for the Metaverse?  (Read 19173 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Ready for the Metaverse?
« on: December 17, 2021, 07:07:40 AM »
As we head into 2022, it feels like we are on the cusp of the next step in our digital evolution.  Oculus and the likes were a consumer level glimpse but the real goods are prepped to arrive this upcoming year.  It is time for this next science fiction to replace the current science fiction.   We are in for a wild ride. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3F1vZYpH8c&t=75s

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ready for the Metaverse?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 09:47:10 AM »
Adios 99 percent of the means of identifying reality.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 11:38:31 AM »
Yes, a personal presence (avatar, whatever you care for)  is a tiny part of what is now being grouped as Metaverse, Omniverse, etc.  Goofy names aside, it is really cool.  The Nvidia video below may seem rather mundane, until you realize that the entire video is computer generated.  The world that this CGI Mercedes is is driving through is also entirely CGI, and this is one of hundreds of current modules. Also check out the physics involved here: https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/prod_extensions/prod_extensions/ext_ganverse3d.html .  It is staggering.
 Clearly all the big tech groups are trying to make headlines showing their leadership in this evolving arena and the gaming related groups have a lot of the development already in place.  Unreal Engine/Epic is obviously great at this.  Check out the vid below.  Each group is coming at it from a different angle.  Nvidia is way deep when you look at what they are building.  https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/prod_extensions/prod_extensions.html You can lose hours just trying top grasp the width of what they are doing  https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-omniverse-platform .  Essentially a group if technologies that maps out digital representation from now forward.  The spread is endless and expanding.  Automotive, medical, physics, all structures, gaming, social collaboration, really a part of everything.  Interested to see Apple's new AR VR headset (expected this year) which is getting buzz as computer/tablet/phone replacement with the decade. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXuVqfasT90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoPXzzK_g1Q&t=6s
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 03:14:26 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 05:44:28 AM »
Continuing my solo geek out here, this is worth a look.  This is a real time translation tool.  This character is computer generated based on a single 2 dimensional photo.  It can then live translate simultaneously, on the fly into 5 languages with correct facial motions.  Hard not to see this as the future of education, collaboration, social, etc.  Gather in a real world environment or a computer generated environment.   We are already at the early stages of a change that is at least equal to the advent of the internet. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIaUhWXjzwo
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 05:52:17 AM by Admin »

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 08:17:25 AM »
The phrase (seeing is believing) comes to mind. No longer will it necessarily be true.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 09:33:31 AM »
That is some remarkable stuff, though looking at it I realize high-reality modeling has no inherent limit, it's just a question of processing speed/power and the value of the output. And of course, it's the enabling technology for an immersive meta world. With a worldwide generation giving up a sizable fraction of their attention to relatively primitive videogames, the value proposition is kind of obvious.

The translation aspect is equally obvious. Language becomes a local preference, not a barrier to communication.

It's going to get weird, and it's coming fast. When do I get to download, this body is getting to EOL--literally.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 02:01:45 AM »
The crazy part is what is available right now for $290.00 in hardware. 

Workout on Supernatural once and you will never go to another gym class or fitness instructor.  F'n incredible. 

Browse the Zone, email and watch Kai shredding Peahi on youtube simultaneously in three man sized browser windows all superimposed over your living room or over a myriad of incredible immersive VR environments.  Control the entire interface with hands only (Matrix style - no controllers).  That has become stunning now.  Voice control is an alternate option - or use both.  Eye control is coming with next gen hardware and the first brain only interfaces are also expected to begin this year (we'll see on that one).

Watch any content (live TV, Sports, Netflix, Prime Video, HULU) - all the content providers are there with every title that you could get on a smart TV or on a PC but on a Theater sized screen with 3D immersive sound in a multitude of VR theater environments or imposed on your real environment.  Plus, of course, you can now really use full surround 3D content which in a headset puts a full imax theater to shame.  Invite friends to watch with you from any location and talk while you watch.  Everyone can be together and in the theater (or home) of their choice. 

Any music - plus sit in the middle of a circle of the members of your favorite band, so lifelike and close you can see (and hear) their strings break.  This shit is beyond.

Travel, Explore, Meet, Work, etc

Wanna go to space?  I will save you a million bucks, and you don't need to talk to Branson.  Choose your destination.  Holy shit!  More realism than you will need. 

This is now and on hardware that costs less than my iWatch (which feels like a quirky antique in comparison).  I will say that the integration between Supernatural and the iWatch is great.

I genuinely think that many have considered these gaming tools and are in for a huge surprise in the next few years.  Very exciting to see what is possible next.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 02:37:59 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 03:53:36 AM »
I hesitate to post this one because Zuckerberg's vision of all of this ranges from brilliant and insightful to stomach turning (mostly stomach turning).  I am not sure how they decided to run with this presentation.  They took what is already available and made it sound distant, favored apps and games that have been outdated for years, and mixed in so much goofy shit that the exceptional is really obscured.  Even so, if you parse through the bunk, there is amazing stuff to be seen.  This should have been edited to a 10 minute video that was laser focused on the amazing that exists today and the stuff that will be available this year.  Apple will kill it here.  They are great organizers and editors. 

This technology is already in use on current Oculus.  Passthrough from virtual to real world work environments.  As many screens as you want or need.  This is really the ultimate workspace and this will be fully realized this year with full color, high resolution pass through.  It is available (and very cool) right now on the current oculus but with the addition of 7 more high def, full color cameras it will go to next level.  I don't think the video made that clear at all.  The short segment is here: https://youtu.be/Uvufun6xer8?t=3447

Also, Supernatural is already much more advanced than the workout assistants and workout environments that  they display as coming soon and it has been available for a year.    Why?  Because it is 3rd party?

Moving away from Fresnel lenses to a precise optical path is huge.  This has been a drawback.  Combined with dual 4k monitors (coming this year from Apple and Meta) visual fidelity will surpass anything available. 

This guy is worth watching all the way through.  Facebook is way behind on photorealistic avatars, clothing, environments, but it is still an interesting watch.  It is cool to see that they know that full body photorealistic realistic avatars are the goal and to see how far they have come there. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvufun6xer8&t=3429s
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 07:30:29 AM by Admin »

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 12:27:34 PM »
That presentation is an extreme undersell.  The technology is impressive and highly functional now from working out to working from home (or working from anyhome), to travel, education the immersive meta content is great now.  Its evolving quickly, and there is still a lot of junk you have to wade through to find the best content, but it's truly amazing. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 07:27:08 PM »
I think the thing Meta made most clear with the video is that Zukerberg is a self-important dick. Cool, they nailed that.  If the metaverse is Zuck (rhymes with yuck) cartoon foiling with Kai then it's pointless, trivial, and boring, and could have been built in 1980. Their entire presentation was fundamentally trivial--nothing they showed, even the cool stuff, hinted at a transformation. I don't think the Facebook folks are prepared to actually be Meta.  Fortunately, there's an entire metaverse of people building a metaverse that will be worthwhile. I'm most taken with the notion of simultaneous translation through multiple bodies. Until we get a mind meld, that will be the most dramatic shift in how humans communicate since the tower of babel and other bullshit origin myths.

This is coming on fast, and like most ripples in the matrix, the distribution is very uneven. We are in for a rocky road. How will China react to its citizens talking to people in Chicago with perfect clarity and the right accent? How will the EU handle privacy issues when privacy is how you choose to represent yourself? the deeper I look at this the sillier a lot of current concerns seem, and the more threatening real hacks become. It's like the problem I have with cryptocurrency. Yes, a bitcoin is a good analog to a gold bar. But if the gold bar is in my safe deposit box the next mega crypto hack won't affect it. Probably.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 03:07:05 AM »
To me the logical first step to start is not to lead with the end game, or even the coming soon, but to engage people with the right now.  That which is already a huge improvement over the status quo and then build out from there.  I understand the temptation (I did it above) but most will just glaze over without having taken the first steps. We all already work and communicate, at least in part, on devices.  Computers, phones, tablets.  It is wonderful, very efficient and we are all used to it now.  All of that is greatly improved by VR.  This is true without any addition of any new social elements, avatars, etc.  Right now VR headsets are using phone SOC's and sub phone level hardware to hit a $299 pricepoint.  Even so, the experience is astounding.  Browse the web on a wall sized virtual monitor (or three) and you will never want go back to your physical screen.  No glare, no reflection, no reading glasses, movable, scalable.  All that in a lovely environment of your choice or overlaid on your actual environment.  For almost everyone these VR environments will exceed their actual environments and will add variety for everyone if chosen.  Use your existing bluetooth input devices (keyboard, mouse, etc) or use voice , eye motion, hand control. 

This year we will see the prominent brands introduce high end computer level SOC's and resources to VR headsets.  Only now has hardware allowed that.  These will also be priced like high end computers rather than entry level phones.  At that point it is just a matter of getting people to put them on.  Once they have, its done.  Even now, the experience is elevating.  You are going to get an unintended holy shit, OMG or I had no idea from everyone. 

Facebook/Meta bought Oculus for 2 Billion and got some great early hardware and ip from that.  But they are not Apple, Microsoft, or Google, nvidia, Epic/Unreal, etc.  They are social company.  Apple for instance has the ability to launch with a full host of industry standard apps to allow a full and highly improved work replacement environment for almost all work scenarios.  I would order now if I could. 

There are so many other things that everyone will find once they have entered at that home point but that is really the first logical step.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 03:21:39 AM by Admin »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 07:34:27 AM »
There are so many other things that everyone will find once they have entered at that home point but that is really the first logical step.

I'm waiting for Google.
Support your local shaper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 05:27:48 AM »
:)

Well then, you are in Luck.  From my cozy Oculus ski chalet living room, I am typing this using Chrome.  Youtube VR has been amazing for a while and Earth VR is crazy cool.  Of course, the Privacy is provided a nice split between Google and Meta.  So no worries there...

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 07:58:58 AM »
Varjo Aero is on my short list. 

I like their extensive commercial background.

Any reason to wait for something similar to drop soon?
Support your local shaper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 01:22:25 PM »
Hi LPB,

I have only used the Oculus Rift (large, uncomfortable, wired, etc) and my Quest II.  The Quest II is impressive but it leaves a lot of room for improvement.  It is smaller, but still too large, and it is not comfortable enough.  It will blow your mind in many ways, and leave you saying, "so close" in others.  I imagine that the new Cambria will answer these issues in a much more capable/more expensive unit this year...but, Meta.  Apple has a headset expected for this year.  The expected spec list is awesome.  Apple is also said to be developing an app store specifically for the Apple "View".  Reality OS (rOS) is expected.  With their new M1 SOC's  or better this should be a game changer.  I would wait for one of those two.  I will get the Apple for sure and will likely check out the Cambria set as well depending on release dates.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 04:39:20 PM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal