Author Topic: Why is Naish so un-mentioned on this forum  (Read 22664 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Naish so un-mentioned on this forum
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2021, 10:06:43 AM »
Like daswusup, I go back to early kite days, then switched to SUP around ' 13.  I understand 'hero worship' marketing, but I find people labeling other's work for self promotion exploitative. There have been more than a few yellow SUPs that were fine shapes, but it was hard to find the name of the mystery shaper. These products are not tableware or work pants. Robbie, from 5,000mi distant seems a nice person but you sense he tests other's designs and then negociates whether they are worthy of his name...  (big Euro-brands seem to have also done similar for many years - the difference is their lack of personalization)

On the other side, as Badger mentioned, is Go Foil.  If there was a solid origin story to be found - they have it.  But I strongly agree with Badger, if something is made of an exotic material like CF why present it as if it was made along side plastic picnic plates? 

Down/not out...

Jim

Wow, I never thought of that--something I need to ask Alex about. I've sanded all the paint off Gofoil wings to screw around modifying them and you're right. There's perfectly nice carbon under that paint. I don't know why they paint them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2021, 01:47:04 PM »
Many might not admit it or care but a small part of why some people go with certain brands could be aesthetics. Coming into the sport knowing nothing, I didn't have much to go on other than what the stuff looked like on the internet. Even though the Go Foils had a great reputation, the blue foil wings looked like cheap plastic. The black and yellow colors of the Naish foils didn't turn me on either. Nor did I like the colors of the Naish wings.

The Axis stuff looks awesome and the website is really well done. The foil shapes made sense to me and I like the detailed info on everything. The Zone reviews had nothing but good things to say about the brand, so that's what I went with. No regrets so far.

So true,  I like to tell myself that color isn't important as long as the value is there... But the reality I was very glad to get rid of some super loud neon green gear I had. Now even if they fixed their performance Issues, thier tacky colors certainly will make me a reluctant purchaser going forward.

Your other point on lack of details on manufacturers web site has been a deal killer for me. Funny how so many manufacturer still have next to no details on their web sites. At one point Go Foil was the hot wing to have, but had next to zero details and even new gear was non existent on thier site. As a internet shopper you almost felt as if they didn't care if you buy there gear or not. Not trying to bash GF but the contrast between them and the Axis site was just night and day. The Axis approach certainly keeps me going to there site and keeps thier products on my mind and when it's time for me to change gear I'll definitely be shopping thier products.

SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »
...Your other point on lack of details on manufacturers web site has been a deal killer for me...

Agree... Having been a Gong customer, and enjoyed their products, the amount of information on their site is an example for others to copy. Given that trying stuff before buying is basically impossible most of the time, every bit of information is useful if you understand what it's telling you. I find it really frustrating now when foil stats don't quote volume for example...

I started on Naish kit, but once I discovered Gong I switched, mainly because I knew I would be able to buy, try and experiment with far more Gong kit, than nearly anything else, irrespective of how 'good' it was compared to my Naish stuff. Gong were churning out so much new stuff, that I felt they were responding quickly to the latest thinking. That faith has been rewarded. I've been very happy with everything I've bought from them, and only really moved away to try products they don't offer - boom wings, and high aspect foils.

This reflects how I now choose kit - based the functionality I'm looking for, by understanding the design offerings as far as possible, rather than being loyal to a brand.

I guess I'm saying that I didn't see the added value Naish offered over the alternative...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 03:22:46 PM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2021, 06:48:28 PM »
Like others have pointed out regarding early products, I too started on a first gen Naish 4m Wingsurfer and 120 L Crossover SUP foil.  After spending 3 mos trying to learn winging in lite wind and getting no where, it became apparent the board was too heavy and the wing wouldn't work in local conditions.  I remember right after buying the wingsurfer, larger wings were announced for the market. So I  Sold the board and got an Fone 120 L board, then sold the wing and got a 6m slingwing, and started flying  It was a bad experience buying gear then having to off load it.  I realize the initial stuff wasn't optimized for places outside of Maui or the gorge.  But Naish made missteps by not thinking broadly enough about the market and having the necessary line of products available. So I moved on and never went back.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 06:50:36 PM by Pasquales »

Alysum

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2021, 04:37:08 AM »
Robby did say on his podcast interview with Daniel Graffe that he liked to keep things simple and that the industry is evolving too fast paced. So I'd say he's definitely got influence on how many products they pump out.

He also posted on instagram last week that he's tired and doesn't like doing all the social media.

Maybe they need a new a new young kid to drive the marketing. The only naish at my spot is the odd wing board, nothing else.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2021, 04:34:59 PM »
Yesterday in my neck of the woods..

It’s summer here..  8)

Hover 125.. 5m Matador and HA1400 foil.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2021, 04:45:45 PM »
As I recall, initially Naish said that 4M was the only size wing required for wingfoiling.

I agree that the pace of development is a bit breakneck, but that's a good thing for most of us.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2021, 05:44:20 PM »
Naish initially wanted to make wings with a huge wind range so only one or two wings are needed.. But as people wanted more and more power the wind range becomes less and less.. The new V4 Wingsurfers will have so many sizes in half meter increments (eg 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.5 etc) and they will be even more power than the current Matador.. Exciting time for Naish.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 06:07:37 PM by DavidJohn »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2022, 09:11:35 PM »
My first session on my new 4m Matador LT at my new local beach..

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2022, 11:14:16 PM »
Being new to windsport, I had no bias or loyalty to any brand coming into winging so I asked a lot of questions. When I asked about Naish, it was the one brand I consistently heard negative feedback. So I held off on buying anything Naish until I had more experience.

What I noticed over the last two years is that, every time they released anything new, it was completely different than the last model. To me this kind of "revolutionary" changes tells me that they are admitting the last model was junk and they had to start over. This does not engender trust that they know what they are doing or the direction they are headed.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2022, 01:08:11 AM »
I would disagree with that.
I own a Naish S25 85l Ultra hover.It weighs 5.2kg and it does not have a single ding after two years of hard use.
Here they sell for about 1200€ new and i do not think there is any big manufacturer that can build this light and strong at that price.

Changes to S26 line have been small, mainly forward movement of foilbox and strap inserts and a smaller tail bevel.Which pretty much everybody has done as board&foil balance is better understood now.
Wish they had gone for a full straight tail though.

Certainly smaller changes in board and foil design than Armstrong, for example.

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2022, 04:33:31 AM »
My naish experience is as follows: when learning I had a 170l inflatable board. When the tracks started cracking and pieces of it fell out, I got a warranty replacement: 110 hover. It was great, but I thought the strap inserts were way too far back, like the center of the back foot range was behind the tracks. I had to put adhesive mounts forward of the pad up front to be able to have straps. As I improved I noticed the board was braking hard when touching the water. When I graduated to 88L army, I was astounded by how it skipped off the water, and despite fg, and takuma foils, my feet are right on the inserts although I don’t use them. I ended up making my hover a straight tail. 
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Duotone unit 2022 3/4/5;dlab6

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2022, 12:56:16 PM »
Last week at Sandy Point (Oz) using my new 6m Matador LT in very light wind (5-10 knots)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2022, 05:01:46 AM »
Last week at Sandy Point (Oz) using my new 6m Matador LT in very light wind (5-10 knots)

Awesome vid DJ. Beautiful spot.

I was just getting the hang of foiling before two months of winter set in. Now I'm psyched it's finally getting warm enough to get out again.

For me at 65 years old, the 125L Naish S26 has been the perfect board to learn on. Nice and stable. Gets up on plane quickly and lifts off effortlessly with the Axis 1060 BSC. I have a habit of getting pretty far from my launch point and at my age, having a board that I can easily slog or paddle back if the wind dies gives me added reassurance. I may progress to the 110L at some point but I doubt I'll go any smaller. For now, the 125L is tons of fun.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2022, 03:04:16 AM »
Thanks.. I’m also 65 and I’m also loving my big 125L Naish Hover..
I struggle with kneeling starts (my knees say no) and like the extra stability of a bigger board.. For me it’s more about fun and ease and try to avoid the frustration and difficult part of learning to foil.. Naish have new shapes coming with their winging boards so I might be tempted to go slightly smaller next time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal