Author Topic: Reedin Super wing  (Read 30875 times)

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reedin Super wing
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2021, 10:52:54 AM »
One other comment about pumping onto foil: the last time I did so before the holidays and on my third session I think, I randomly tried just board pumping. I think because of the sail’s forward drive, it really took advantage of every reduction in friction, so after just a couple of unweightings, I was off. If there was enough pressure to take off like a plane I wouldn’t have noticed it. It was a puff, but not a huge one and I was using the 3.6.  I’m pretty sure it was a new phenomenon for me.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Duotone unit 2022 3/4/5;dlab6

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »
One other comment about pumping onto foil: the last time I did so before the holidays and on my third session I think, I randomly tried just board pumping. I think because of the sail’s forward drive, it really took advantage of every reduction in friction, so after just a couple of unweightings, I was off. If there was enough pressure to take off like a plane I wouldn’t have noticed it. It was a puff, but not a huge one and I was using the 3.6.  I’m pretty sure it was a new phenomenon for me.

Thanks for sharing this 🤙
165lbs
Riding
Jimmy Lewis 4'8 69L Custom
Reedin Superwing and Superwing X
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2021, 07:31:18 PM »
I watched my lifeguard friend, Randy, use his Reedin 4.7 yesterday, and it was pretty amazing. The acceleration he was getting coming out of tacks and jibes was startling. He's about five days into using his and he's starting to like it. I'm still surprised to see this much learning curve, I've used wings I flat out hated that were more usable initially, but at least I can see that there's a point to hanging on and pushing through the grim part.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »
I watched my lifeguard friend, Randy, use his Reedin 4.7 yesterday, and it was pretty amazing. The acceleration he was getting coming out of tacks and jibes was startling. He's about five days into using his and he's starting to like it. I'm still surprised to see this much learning curve, I've used wings I flat out hated that were more usable initially, but at least I can see that there's a point to hanging on and pushing through the grim part.

There were times during my first 3 sessions where I was wondering if I should just stick with the SW version 1. Now, I'm wondering if I'm still going to like my other wing...

Today and yesterday in Kailua we had ESE winds and a NE swell so the wave/wind was lining up more like riding on the north shore in terms of orientation. The SWX was so smooth, powerful, and exciting to ride on the waves that I came off the water all grins.
165lbs
Riding
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2021, 05:28:44 PM »
During my last two session I was trying to be more conscious of the front hand pull that was mentioned earlier so that I could have a more informed position when commenting here. First, the SWX definitely has more front hand pull. Second, it never stood out to me as any sort of an issue because, from a windsurfing background, the feel is very familiar and actually a big part of what I like about this wing. For those who are primarily kiters or winging is their first wind sport I can see how this would be a different feel that some may like and others not. I know that as I'm getting more comfortable with the SWX, its getting more manageable on the upper end (higher wind) and part of what I'm doing is using a slightly narrower grip between my two hands.

165lbs
Riding
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2022, 11:22:05 AM »
First session after the holidays and adding rust to trying to learn a new wing doesn’t help, but I managed much higher angles than I’ve ever done. But I’m still convinced the 4.7 at least has its back handle too far back when it’s over powered. I ordered an Armstrong mini boom thing before my session and I was feeling like it will be appreciated. I didn’t feel the same way about the 3.6 and the 6, which I still haven’t used, has three handles.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2022, 01:13:23 PM »
But I’m still convinced the 4.7 at least has its back handle too far back when it’s over powered.

With sails, draft moves back when over powered. So handle should be farther back for over powered. Moving the hand back, keeps the draft shifting back. Failure to do so means getting slammed (back winded)

Are you trying to ride under sheeted when over powered? Meaning you are letting canopy flutter to ride less powered?

Or is the draft actually moving forward when over powered? Do you have a windsurfing background?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 01:16:11 PM by Dwight (DW) »

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2022, 02:35:10 PM »
No windsurfing, but lots of sailing. It might be that xply doesn’t deform like other wings? And yes, out of forearm necessity I’m pinching most of time unless it’s light. But it doesn’t flutter at all, and enough power left to stay up, this is going upwind btw where pressures are greater. I’ve found with hands back the sail wants to over-sheet too much.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2022, 05:53:16 AM »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2022, 10:55:41 AM »
Sounds like he feels a similar thing. And the 5.2 and 6 have three handles, 4.7 and below have two. But it seems like the armie control bar should work too. 
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2022, 09:55:29 AM »
Yes, it sounds like he has the same initial impressions and learning curve. It's good to hear, I haven't had much opportunity to try my 5.2 again since the wind hasn't cooperated. We've had no wind since new years day. It looks like the learning curve is worth it. I'm glad to hear that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2022, 01:47:48 PM »
Considering the Reedin SuperWing X 3.6. What wind range should I expect at 160 lbs? Anyone riding the 3.6?
Life Rewards Movement

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2022, 10:40:15 AM »
I’m 170, and have been using the 3.6 a lot, more than I expected. Down to 15 I’d say, but that’s with a +11L board, and because with thick mitts I’m a little reluctant to be over powered. But it works.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2022, 04:08:09 PM »
A month back or more I dragged my 4.7 through some smallish surf and back. On the way out one wave did catch it a bit awkward. I don’t know if that’s why but when packing up after I noticed that the batten pockets were coming undone on the front on one side, back on the other. I wasn’t terribly surprised as my time as a sailmaker made be aware that abrupt changes from rigid to soft material lead to problems, which is why, for example, wires have a little rubber thing coming out of the plug with it. Otherwise you create a hinge point where all the force is concentrated. I had noticed the battens were huge when I first looked it over.

Once they were coming off I eventually decided to take them all the way off, since the warranty plan was to take it to a local sail loft anyway, and I started wondering how much of their flaccid flagging was due to the battens, enough so that I abandoned the warranty. Since it seems xply doesn’t like luffing, some battens are required, and nice and quiet, I replaced the giant ones with 12” tapered battens, depending on the pocket itself for the remaining length to the fold strip. This saves a 1/4 lb of weight at the trailing edge of the wing, and I’m sure some improvement in flagging was achieved, and the fluttering is increased but marginally.

The other issue I’ve had with the wing, especially in winter, is the narrow gap under the handle, and the angle of the handle where I want to hold it. Up front the handle is sloping away from me so it’s more like climbing a rope than grabbing a handle, if you know what I mean. Since the warranty issue was moot, I CUT THE CORE OF THE FRONT HANDLE, and created a brace with moldeable plastic, so that the handle is held away from the strut, and at a better angle. The Velcro in the handle cover holds it together just fine.

77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2022, 07:59:25 AM »
Just resurrecting this thread as I'm starting to see the SWX discounted and am looking for a 30 knot plus wing and think a 2.8 SWX would work well on paper. Now people have had time to use and reflect on these wings, can anyone give any real world feedback on the 2.8 specifically? I know from experience sizes within ranges don't scale as you would expect so don't want to assume a review of a larger size holds true for a smaller one.

Thanks!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal