Author Topic: Reedin Super wing  (Read 30876 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reedin Super wing
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2021, 10:03:09 AM »
Is this the same stuff I used to have on my hang glider?  It was good.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2021, 05:12:29 PM »
Another option coming to market - seems like a similar material

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2021, 07:28:43 PM »
Is this the same stuff I used to have on my hang glider?  It was good.

More or less, but yours was probably 3 mil (.003") or thicker, this is 1 mil, which I've never heard of before. The fabric is a sandwich--.0005" mylar, then reinforcing threads, then the second layer of mylar. Most sail fabric is .1 mm with is .0039 inches.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2021, 08:09:24 PM »
my 4.7 arrived today. Should be plenty of wind by Sunday to give it a good run. A friend with a 5.0 OR full aluula might join me so we can try them back to back.
165lbs
Riding
Jimmy Lewis 4'8 69L Custom
Reedin Superwing and Superwing X
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2021, 06:18:18 AM »
my 4.7 arrived today. Should be plenty of wind by Sunday to give it a good run. A friend with a 5.0 OR full aluula might join me so we can try them back to back.

I would love to read about the Reeding/OR comparison in these sizes --- please please post if you get to try them both.  Thanks!!!!!

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2021, 08:28:25 AM »

I would love to read about the Reeding/OR comparison in these sizes --- please please post if you get to try them both.  Thanks!!!!!

My fellow rider got the family call this weekend so it looks like it will be another time. I'll be sure to circle back after we make this happen. In the meantime, I should be able to offer some initial impressions on the 4.7 X-wing after this weekend.
165lbs
Riding
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2021, 09:51:03 AM »
mine is apparently still stuck in customs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2021, 10:41:40 AM »
Just picked up a 4.2m yesterday. Hoping the forecast holds true for tomorrow.  ;D ;D

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2021, 03:37:03 PM »
I’ve had a session in 12-15mph with 4.7 and now a good session in 15-18 on 4.2. It was after my session on the 4.7 that I swapped out for a 4.2. I simply don’t need the amount of power in the 4.7.

First impressions here. The good: once you are on foil it’s like a muscle car, lots of power and torque and noticeably faster than other wings I’ve tried. Using HA925 with chopped V tail I was easily hitting 19-20mph on GPS. That is without ever fully sheeting in and pointing off. For the first time, I’m thinking I might try a harness. Other things, can point very high, 4.2 can be flown with one hand and still generate a lot of forward propulsion. The 4.2 has more power than the Armstrong 4.5. On a wave I found that flagging with your back hand on front strut handle and front hand on leading edge handle was most comfortable and allowed me to generate more power to get through sections when you needed it but still have the “wing free” experience of driving forward based on wave energy alone. When flagging high behind you, the wing still catches enough power that it moved around a bit. Another SWX rider said this could be managed by flagging lower.

Challenges: When the wind was marginal, the weight of the wing had more of an impact on pumping to foil. Weight will matter to some and not to others. For me, this wing feels very different from anything else I’ve tried and is drawing out more of the windsurfer in me in terms of technique. The 4.7 was cooking my forearms because it had so much power on foil. My suggestion to those who have these coming is to prepare for an initial learning curve and be open to how wings like this will change some of the way we ride them.

A fellow rider who has an OR full Aluula really likes his SWX 4.2. He sees it as a good complement to his OR as opposed to an alternative. He also says the SWX is the more ridged of the two.

I believe the space that the SWX occupies will be better understood and defined as everyone gets more time on them and develops their technique for what it demands.
165lbs
Riding
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2021, 04:52:41 PM »
A fellow rider who has an OR full Aluula really likes his SWX 4.2. He sees it as a good complement to his OR as opposed to an alternative.

What size OR complements the SWX 4.2?
Life Rewards Movement

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2021, 05:59:51 PM »
A fellow rider who has an OR full Aluula really likes his SWX 4.2. He sees it as a good complement to his OR as opposed to an alternative.

What size OR complements the SWX 4.2?

He has a 5M OR. I think he posts here, hopefully he will chime in.
165lbs
Riding
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2021, 06:27:00 AM »

First impressions here. The good: once you are on foil it’s like a muscle car, lots of power and torque...
Thanks for the update. I guess that also applied to low end grunt too? Good drive to get you up and foiling?
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2021, 07:38:22 AM »

First impressions here. The good: once you are on foil it’s like a muscle car, lots of power and torque...
Thanks for the update. I guess that also applied to low end grunt too? Good drive to get you up and foiling?

With enough wind, yes, it's quick to pump on foil. On my last session with the 4.2 when the wind was a steady 15-18 I was able to get on foil quickly. When the winds are marginal for the size, things change and you have to pump differently than other wings to get on foil. I'm still figuring out what specifically that change is. Some of the other SWX owners I know have experienced the same thing. So far the consensus is that you have to put more back hand into your pumping than you do on other wings. This makes sense to me as I found myself moving my hands wider apart when trying to pump up in lighter winds. What's crazy, is even when I've had the marginal moments, once on foil, I'm lit by the power even if it was a struggle to get up. As with any wing, getting up on foil running with the chop or swell direction will always give you an advantage over trying to get on foil into the swell (unless its longer period).

Edit: Tip from another SWX owner: For lighter wind starts with SWX try slow pumping overhead to get initial momentum before switching to traditional pumping.

All this said, at 165-170lbs, I was able to get on foil on a 69L board with HA925 and chopped V with the 4.7 in 12-15mph and the 4.2 on a day that was 15-18mph.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 07:49:42 AM by Oahuwaterwalker »
165lbs
Riding
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2021, 08:36:39 AM »
Thanks again! Makes sense that pumping technique would probably take a bit of time to figure out... I'm excited that this wing exists and the potential it offers for future wing design. Awesome...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2021, 10:20:51 AM »
I borrowed Mark Raaphorst's hybrid Ocean Rodeo Glide with a full-length homemade boom a few days ago (though calling anything Mark makes "homemade" is a little silly, his craftsmanship is beyond pro). I found the same thing with the pumping. fortunately for me, back hand pumping is my standard technique in low wind, so it was easy to adapt. In high wind, I use very short two-handed pulls.

Hopefully, my Reedin wing shows up soon, it's still caught in customs because of some kind of snafu. I think I have it ironed out, I guess we'll see.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal