Author Topic: Reedin Super wing  (Read 30880 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reedin Super wing
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2021, 04:14:51 AM »
Thanks for the link to the weights. I pasted the 6 meters into a spread sheet. The big size is the most critical to me.

My F-One Strike 6M CWC came in at 2495g in case you’d like to add it to your spreadsheet.
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2021, 04:17:38 AM »
The Ocean Rodeo Glide A Series 4M came in at 1587g (3.5lbsj
in progress...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2021, 07:25:33 AM »
Fone added

We don’t know if the leash is included in any of this data. The OR leash is like the F-one. I weighed my Ozone leash and it weighed 0.25 lbs. While the OR leash was something like 0.015 lbs. Shocked me.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 07:30:05 AM by Dwight (DW) »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2021, 02:43:23 PM »
Fone added

We don’t know if the leash is included in any of this data. The OR leash is like the F-one. I weighed my Ozone leash and it weighed 0.25 lbs. While the OR leash was something like 0.015 lbs. Shocked me.

For the Fone leash is included
in progress...

Oldmansurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2021, 03:38:43 PM »
I am a newbie to wing foiling, and obviously need as much time on the foil to progress.  I currently only have a 5M Naish Matador    and have trouble getting on foil on less than 18 mph winds.  We often have 12-15 mph winds, so I would like a 6M wing to help me use those conditions. I have been debating the OR Glide,  and the new Reedin X as options.  Does anyone have an opinion as to which might best suit my needs?  I do foil in an area with boat traffic so the visibility in the new Reedin is appealing.  Thoughts?

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2021, 04:18:29 PM »
I am a newbie to wing foiling, and obviously need as much time on the foil to progress.  I currently only have a 5M Naish Matador    and have trouble getting on foil on less than 18 mph winds.  We often have 12-15 mph winds, so I would like a 6M wing to help me use those conditions. I have been debating the OR Glide,  and the new Reedin X as options.  Does anyone have an opinion as to which might best suit my needs?  I do foil in an area with boat traffic so the visibility in the new Reedin is appealing.  Thoughts?
If i wanted a new wing for light wind right now, it would be a CWC 8m, or a OR6 Gluide (A if you good at pumping onto foil).
It would be nice to hear from someone whos tried both of those. I don't think the Reedin X is going to be a "light wind" wing.
The CWC will just pull you on foil at times which is a nice plus in my book, I've only tried the CWC 7m but i don't see the 8m being any more trouble, but then again i'm 6'4".
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2021, 10:27:00 AM »
Curiosity made me weigh my 5.5M A-wing, which came in at 6.5 lbs or 2.94 kg (dry, no leash). It blows me away that the 6.0M OR is close to 2 lbs less.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2021, 08:51:45 AM »
Here's a good overview of the Reedin wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0UfDVZxNkA&t=214s

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2021, 02:01:25 PM »
From Matt Nuzzo (Real Watersports) in a YouTube comment. Some interesting points!

https://youtu.be/Y7JeTyVTCYE 

"People are tripping out about weights of wings which is relevant but not what it seems. We had a question about how the Reedin SuperWingX compares to the Ocean Rodeo Aluula Glide.  Here is our response…

Yes they are very different wings. The Aluula Ocean Rodeo Glide is crazy light. 4.2 lbs.  While you are riding that wing feels pretty light but it is really underpowered. It hard to get started on the Glide as it has limited forward drive. Also the Aluula is so rigid that you feel every gust to make it a pretty unforgiving ride. The Hybrid Glide was a little more forgiving and 4.4 lbs. 

The X wing 4.7m rides a little bigger than the 5m Glide and the 4.2m rides a little smaller. Both are heavier on the scale 6.4 lbs and 6.0 lbs respectively but the design and materials fly better than the Glide so the X Wing in turn feels lighter. Also the X wing has great forward drive to get you on foil, is really balanced and just feels a lot better to ride than the Glide.

Everyone is obsessing about getting the lightest wing and they are not taking into account the feel, ride and design of the wing that makes much more of a difference to how a wing rides.  There is weight on a scale and weight while riding which are often times very different based on how well a wing was designed. In this example the Aluula wing is at least 1.5 lbs less than the X Wing but the X Wing feels lighter while you are riding"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 02:03:53 PM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2021, 06:06:30 PM »
“Also the Aluula is so rigid that you feel every gust to make it a pretty unforgiving ride”

For sure, that is the internet rumor mill regarding Aluula. Which makes me think Matt is just repeating those rumors, and has not actually ridden the A-Glide long enough to know for himself.

The Ocean Rodeo is the smoothest wing I’ve ever ridden. It’s a twilight zone experience. Makes gusty wind feel steady. My wife and I think it’s like riding a pillow.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2021, 09:57:38 PM »
Dwight, I agree and call bullshit on Matt Nuzzo. The Glide drives upwind harder than anything I've used, and that is most all of the major brands and some smaller brands. It takes a bit of technique to generate the power out of it, that same design feature is what allows it to drive upwind so well.
 Also, the comment about the wing being harsh due to stiffness is a bit...I dunno Matt. When winds are gusty, you'll feel the gusts. If you know it's gusty, tune the wing man, knock a psi off the LE or downsize the wing.
That's not knocking the Reedin X-all the reviews say it's super smooth and great. Good to hear-more innovation from the small guys(and gals). I'd love to try a 3m of one of them. Wieght matters in larger wings. I have zero interest in a transparent canopy that wieghs a couple extra pounds in a 6m.
He must be feeling nostalgic about windsurfing and the clear sails.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2021, 03:49:39 AM »
When I said 'interesting' I probably meant 'controversial'!  Mainly because Matt's apparent message is that the OR Glide's only benefit seems to be it's light weight. Can a wing simultaneously be underpowered and too stiff? My (oversimplified?) logic says stiffness helps deliver power, especially pumping, I've not ridden it so can't pass judgement.

I understand the message that there is more to a wing's performance than it's weight, and that people might get overly focused on it given that weight is only supported by the wind and our arms, but he seems to be throwing the Glide under a bus a little! I lament the marketing that gets spun on every new product, which are all the greatest, latest thing, so a this apparent honesty is refreshing - just struggling to know how much to believe. We all know that brands have different interpretations on measuring size as one example, making objective comparisons of power awkward...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2021, 04:37:37 AM »
Regarding the A-Glide low end. Low end is better than my previous wing, simply because it pumps better. Stiffness is king here. That being said, you have to factor in our skill level. On wing weight, because a 6m weighs what most 4 meters weight, I actually love and use my 6m, instead of sitting on the beach, waiting for 5m wind! Imagine the joy of winging with a 4m in 10-14 and you get the idea of that feeling.

We are still confused about how our upwind performance is. The wing feeling messes with your head, because it’s butter smooth on all points of sail. I do plan to jump in the water, do a wing switch with a buddy on Ensis, to compare live in identical wind. It needs to be an Ensis with a harness line to compare fairly going upwind.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2021, 06:11:57 AM »
The best way i know to measure upwind performance objectively is to record a few upwind runs with a gps.
Then you can measure angles & average speed and get an idea of your VMG.

JB at the Seabreeze forum posts tracks with (imho) incredibly good angles.On Naish stock foils and wings.
https://mega.nz/file/hCh2jZCB#A7xdOkKogFt7d5etFIvvLW5iOHm4GMNfuI-zqZqxJ18   ñ

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2021, 09:50:38 AM »
I haven't tried a Reedin Super Wing yet, but have ridden a few of DG's previous designs and they all have a signature very "grunty" low end feel with tons of forward drive, which I appreciate as a 200 pound rider on smaller foils. His wings tend to pump super well out of the hole in my experience but are on the heavier feeling side while flagged out. There's also truth behind not only focussing on the weight of a wing comparing specs between wings. How they fly matters more than a pound or so of weight IMO, though the larger Super Wing sizes will suffer in drifting in very light air compared to an A-series wing. The Aluula Glide, while you can't describe it as grunty, needs more technique or a size up to get moving early in its wind range. So mentally it can feel like a bummer that you are needing a 6m, but it still handles like a 4m in practice as it has so little inertia. Flagging the A-series wing out for wave riding is top of the class. Calling the A-series Glide "harsh" or too stiff is super odd to me though, as it is super smooth through the air and so well behaved once up and riding. The frame is rigid but flexes enough at the tips to not feel harsh. You feel this pumping, too. The advantage that OR has is that they already have the materials needed to make a crazy light wing but they can easily engineer more low end grunt or any other aspect of performance as required in the future.
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal