Author Topic: Armstrong FG Board Volume Correlation  (Read 2386 times)

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Armstrong FG Board Volume Correlation
« on: November 08, 2021, 12:15:43 PM »
I noticed that the Armstrong FG boards are about 15l or so less than similar sized boards of other brands. I'm currently on a Fanatic 5'4" 95l and it's super easy to ride, but the mast box is way too far back for the Armstrong foils. And it's heavy. The Arm FG is the same width, slightly shorter, and 75l. I'm wondering if, at 85kg, I should go with the 75l? I don't really want to go with the 88l because it's an inch longer and wider than my Fanatic. Conditions are typically steady 15kt+ and if it hits 19+ I'll go to my 45l Takuma.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
Re: Armstrong FG Board Volume Correlation
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 07:49:39 PM »
One thing to consider when comparing to the fanatic is the FGs forward mast placement would make the bigger board still feel smaller than the fanatic due to the shorter effective nose and lowered swing weight. I had a similar dilemma and went for the 60L to my 63kgs instead of the 50L. Glad I did for the most part. Just had my first 34L session.  The 50L would have had me sitting out lighter/flukey  wind days for sure.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 09:31:44 PM »
I weigh 90 kgs and have the 75 L 5'2" .  Really nice board with top build quality.  At first it took awhile to get used to riding a sinker, but not too bad.  Over all really happy with it.

omg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 08:40:48 AM »
I noticed that the Armstrong FG boards are about 15l or so less than similar sized boards of other brands. I'm currently on a Fanatic 5'4" 95l and it's super easy to ride, but the mast box is way too far back for the Armstrong foils. And it's heavy. The Arm FG is the same width, slightly shorter, and 75l. I'm wondering if, at 85kg, I should go with the 75l? I don't really want to go with the 88l because it's an inch longer and wider than my Fanatic. Conditions are typically steady 15kt+ and if it hits 19+ I'll go to my 45l Takuma.
Sorry a bit of OT, however, how do you like the 45L Takuma? What's the waterstart like with it and most importantly how much bigger wings do you need to use compared to your bigger boards in say 20-25 knots? I really would like to have a smaller, more agile board, but wonder if the downside is too much :/ Currently my only board is 75L Fone Rocket, but it's 5'4 and with my kitefoil backgroung I can feel the  inertia the longer and bigger board brings.

Many thanks!

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 12:04:23 PM »
I like it. I'm still a total N00b, so I was suffering a bit to get up on it but I had good success with the stinkbug start. My only wing is a 5.2 Ensis, so I don't need any 'bigger' of a wing. :D I think I can ride the Takuma in anything over about 18kts pretty easily as soon as I get a bit more practice. There is definitely a learning curve, but once you figure out the tricks it rapidly gets easier.

Riding it is glorious. Super light and felt like nothing under my feet. Easy touchdowns with no draggy feel. The F1 is really long for its volume IIRC, so maybe something shorter would have less swing weight?

randomfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 06:18:07 AM »

I'd go with the 75L. I had the 95L Fanatic as well @75kg (new to the sport this summer) and progressed to the 65L Takuma TK65 which is now my "light wind" board with the 1440 kujira. 

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 06:34:24 AM »
Thanks. Yeah, I bought the 75l. Had it out for the first try a couple days back and had a blast. Wind was a solid 19 though, so I realistically could have been on the 45. It felt nice and stable and planed up to the surface with almost no forward speed, so I think It'll be good down into pretty light winds.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal