Author Topic: Winter winging gloves?  (Read 4516 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Winter winging gloves?
« on: November 25, 2021, 02:11:41 PM »
Having decided to stick around for a longer period this winter I realized Glacier Gloves is no longer a viable option. It used to be the case I could get the model I like around $20 on Amazon but prices more than doubled and 3 pairs per season is an expensive proposition.

Any recommendation for a good winter winging glove that would last more than a season?
in progress...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Winter winging gloves?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 03:22:17 PM »
It depends on how well your hands stand up to the cold.  I've surfed through eight NH winters often in below-freezing temperatures. I occasionally have Raynaud's syndrome and my hands are always the first thing that gets cold.

In 25 to 45 degrees F, I can usually get away with Xcel 5mm lobster mitts. If needed, I also have some 7mm full mitts.

This will be my first winter wing foiling. Both my Xcel mitts seem to work fine for holding the wing.

I've tried a lot of brands and one thing I've noticed is that most mitts are so tight on my fingers that they restrict the blood flow. Your hands can not get warm if the blood can't flow through them. If possible, try before you buy. If you buy online make sure you can easily return them.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 03:43:04 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 05:28:35 AM »
I've settled on neoprene mittens(NRS).  They are the only hand gear that will keep my fingers warm here in Maine.  Using a boom becomes even more critical since grabbing handles with mitts is a fair bit more awkward.  Even the thinner mitts are warmer than the thicker gloves.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 07:20:32 AM »
I've settled on neoprene mittens(NRS).  They are the only hand gear that will keep my fingers warm here in Maine.  Using a boom becomes even more critical since grabbing handles with mitts is a fair bit more awkward.  Even the thinner mitts are warmer than the thicker gloves.

I've settled on those as well. Didn't have an opportunity to try it yet but they sure feel awkward. a friend sold me his Kokatat 2mm mittens, These are really good. could not find it anywhere.
in progress...

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 10:40:35 AM »

I've settled on those as well. Didn't have an opportunity to try it yet but they sure feel awkward. a friend sold me his Kokatat 2mm mittens, These are really good. could not find it anywhere.
I'm interested in your opinion on those to mittens. I really like my kokatat mittens (one size larger than normal) but they have some room for improvement.

I lost one of my Ride engine gloves and I found it impossible to find a good comparables replacement without shopping over seas for a size  large. Those Ride Engine's were about perfect.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

lakemichiganwingfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 07:20:05 AM »
I just got the kokatat inferno mitts and have had them out 4 times in 40 or below temp, they are warm, I still get forearm cramping, and have to stop and shake them out, but it’s not to bad. They have started to wear already between the thumb and finger, so I am trying a modification of cementing in an old bicycle inner tube in that area add a bit more to stop the wear.

I did use hyperflex oven mitts last year and they were pretty good, they also were pretty much shot after a couple months, but they were cheap, so I didn’t mind. I can’t find my size now, so I went the much more expensive route of kokatat.
naish s25 hover 75ltr
Cabrinha mantis v2 6.0 wing
cabrinha mantis 4.0
gofoil gt1400 rs1150 FTL 20

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 07:34:49 AM »
Having decided to stick around for a longer period this winter I realized Glacier Gloves is no longer a viable option. It used to be the case I could get the model I like around $20 on Amazon but prices more than doubled and 3 pairs per season is an expensive proposition.

Any recommendation for a good winter winging glove that would last more than a season?

Not sure which model you like but some are on sale direct from them right now... https://glacierglove.com/kenai-waterproof/

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 01:41:51 PM »

Not sure which model you like but some are on sale direct from them right now... https://glacierglove.com/kenai-waterproof/

I like this model a lot and this is a good price. That said, these gloves are only good for about 3 sessions based on my use case.
Beyond that they develop tears that allow water in and that's game over for me.
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 04:24:23 PM »

I'm interested in your opinion on those to mittens. I really like my kokatat mittens (one size larger than normal) but they have some room for improvement.

I lost one of my Ride engine gloves and I found it impossible to find a good comparables replacement without shopping over seas for a size  large. Those Ride Engine's were about perfect.

I took the NRS Toaster Mitts for a wing session today. Air temp at low 30's and mid 20's with windchill. Wind lasted for about 2 hours and by the end of the session my hands were still good.
That's about the only good thing I can say about these mittens, that and the rugged layer covering the front which seems fairly abrasion resistant (time will tell).

The fit is terrible even-though I looked closely at the fit guide. the only good fit was the width. Extra inch on the thumb when the glove pulled all the way down. The glove also ride up all the time.
If you want to tuck the glove under the sleeve, good luck doing it alone. I probably spent 10 minutes to get a good tuck without leaving too much glove to ride up.

Operating all the attachments (wind leash, board leash, valves, belt etc) is a real chore and if you're trying to operate it on the water with hauling wind you're likely
to lose things if not extra carful. I think the main issue is the way the attached front layer where the seam ends up interfering with grip and handling.

The extra inner partition for the index finger is flat out stupid. Serve no purpose, really uncomfortable and gets the index finger colder faster. I ended up shoving the index finger along with the other fingers ::)

Bottom line, based on my experience, I can't recommend this product
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 04:25:56 PM by burchas »
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 08:39:51 AM »
Update on that matter.

I found the Kokatat Neoprene inferno mitt. Really love those. Perfect fit super warm and very easy handling for a 3mm.
It took me about 7 sessions to put hole in them which was a big improvement over the Glacier.

Just bought a new pair. since the wear and tear was in the same spot on both gloves (handle pressure) I decided to reinforce the area
with a 2mm EVA pad left over. I hope that will last for through entire winter.

Pic shows the old one with the hole in it and what I did to the new one
in progress...

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 09:04:05 AM »
I think in winter in Maine a harness becomes more critical, and thinner handles make it easier. I’d like to see lobster mitts with 2mm palms but thicker elsewhere. I size them big to ensure blood flow. Last winter I assumed I wouldn’t be able to do it based in my experience surfing, where if there was wind I’d get cold. But there is less resting winging vs surfing, so it wasn’t too bad.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Duotone unit 2022 3/4/5;dlab6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal