Author Topic: Drysuit anyone?  (Read 595 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Drysuit anyone?
« on: November 25, 2021, 01:52:09 PM »
As winter looming around these parts I'm wondering what's the convential wisdom on the topic when it comes to winging? I like wetsuits as much as next Hawaiian guy :D and I can barely make them last for one season. The fact I need to have 3-4 of those makes things even worse.

Going through the Black Friday deals I realize I can't even get the wetsuits I want, deal or no deal, no stock available. So made me think about a different option. What's your experience?
Surfing mostly downwind bumps.
in progress...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Drysuit anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 03:36:24 PM »
I wore the Ocean Rodeo Soul for a few years SUP surfing and on downwinders.

Pros - Comfortable and breathable with a wide temperature range. You can wear your regular street clothes and be perfectly dry at the end of your session.

Cons - Almost impossible to swim in. The waterproofing in the fabric eventually breaks down and home treatments aren't very effective.

I used to not like wearing wetsuits but now they don't bother me.

I have five wetsuits and have never had one wear out. I still use the 3/2 Quicksilver I bought in 2013.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 03:59:34 PM by Badger »
Naish S26 Hover GS 125L - Axis BSC 1060/440 - Ozone Wasp V1 4m/5m
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 175lbs - 64yo

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 06:44:27 PM »
I wear a drysuit that is called a paddling "semi-dry" from NRS on the colder days. It is much easier to don and remove than my 5/4 wetsuit. What makes it a semi dry is the neoprene neck instead of rubber gasket. Its hars rubber wrists and full cloth feet. I last a lot longer in this than a wetsuit. When I get out, I just have slightly damp undergarmets from water intruding throught the neck, mostly from big wrecks. They are around $700 new. similar to this one https://www.nrs.com/kokatat-mens-supernova-semi-dry-suit/pnkq

I had it already for whitewater boating. I would recommend this path to those trying to wing in ridiculously cold winter environs. I couple it with oneil lobster 5m gloves and a 4m wetsuit hood if needed. The harness is key for me when wearing thick gloves because I just hook in and can let my forearms relax from the grip fatigue caused by thick gloves.
One thing I notice is that I feel like it is a bit more of a sail than a wetsuit and slightly reduces my upwindability. This is not a real big issue compared to being cold.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 08:48:45 PM »

Pros - Comfortable and breathable with a wide temperature range. You can wear your regular street clothes and be perfectly dry at the end of your session.

Cons - Almost impossible to swim in. The waterproofing in the fabric eventually breaks down and home treatments aren't very effective.

I have five wetsuits and have never had one wear out. I still use the 3/2 Quicksilver I bought in 2013.

I have a couple of drysuits (Kokatat and Immersion Research) used for kayaking. The conventional wisdom has been not to use drysuits surfing due to greater risk of a rip in the suit, it filling with water and becoming a sea anchor. A hole or rip in a wetsuit is not as big a deal. It is much more comfortable kayaking in a drysuit compared to a wet suit. Swimming in a drysuit is ok if you properly "burp" the suit (removing all the air from the suit by walking into the water up to your neck). If you don't do this swimming can be difficult in a drysuit.

Bob 
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 06:43:06 AM »

I have a couple of drysuits (Kokatat and Immersion Research) used for kayaking. The conventional wisdom has been not to use drysuits surfing due to greater risk of a rip in the suit, it filling with water and becoming a sea anchor. A hole or rip in a wetsuit is not as big a deal. It is much more comfortable kayaking in a drysuit compared to a wet suit. Swimming in a drysuit is ok if you properly "burp" the suit (removing all the air from the suit by walking into the water up to your neck). If you don't do this swimming can be difficult in a drysuit.

Bob

The OR Soul is baggier than most drysuits. Even after burping, it was like trying to swim in a snowboard suit.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 06:53:36 AM »
I just bought one of these WindRider spray tops to go over my wetsuit.  I haven't tried it yet but a friend of mine said it's a gamechanger for stopping wind chill.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SK4Y4P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

puget sound

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:26:35 AM »
I'm in my third season of using a custom-fit SupSkin "Ultimate" drysuit for SUP sessions, both flat water and downwinding but not surfing. I didn't fit any of their stock sizes.

Pros: easy on, easy off. No movement restriction while paddling. MUCH more breathable for high exertion work where I'm sweating a lot. I overheated in wetsuits. I just wear base layers underneath, regular poly stuff. Good wind chill protection. Plenty waterproof for paddling in the rain and the occasional dunks. Latex cuffs except at the neck, which is neoprene for comfort.

Cons: Pricey, goofy looking, and after 2+ seasons the fabric is starting to wet out quickly. I probably should have washed it more often early on, which is its own hassle. The custom route took 6+ months to arrive and then I had to send it back for an alteration, so there's that. But it's a pleasure now that it fits.
Starboard Sprint 21.5 / SIC RS 14x23 / SIC Bullet V1

* Recent Posts

post Re: ART999 vs GoFoil NL190 - SUP Foil Only
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
FoilMad
Today at 12:04:39 PM
post Re: Getting ejected out the front door...
Solent Foiler
Today at 11:43:55 AM
post Re: Drysuit anyone?
puget sound
Today at 10:26:35 AM
post Re: Harness alternative
PonoBill
Today at 09:34:35 AM
post Re: ART999 vs GoFoil NL190 - SUP Foil Only