Author Topic: 6 weeks post RTC surgery  (Read 5907 times)

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
6 weeks post RTC surgery
« on: November 18, 2021, 09:56:14 AM »
After surgical repair of a tear in my right (yes, I'm right handed) rotator cuff, the physical therapist has me doing loosening and stretching exercises. Resistance training will begin in another 4 weeks. I usually only have pain after PT sessions or if I accidentally over-extend.
Any advice on how to achieve a full recovery and how to ease my way back into SUP paddling and surfing?
Personal experiences appreciated.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 6 weeks post RTC surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 11:36:43 AM »
Been there, done that, more than once on each side. After 6 weeks there is no point in saying watch out for infection, but still...  The best advice I can give is to do a LOT more PT exercises and sessions than even the most aggressive therapist prescribes. Full range of motion and strength is the objective. PTs are used to dealing with wimps and all the fat, inactive people you see everywhere. The only places I've met PTs that push you as hard as you need to go are Maui and Hood River. Guess why.

Once you start resistance training, bug your PT about paddling, or at least swimming. The range of motion required for a crawl stroke is more than paddling. The only caveat about SUP is that it's easy to fall and try to catch yourself with your injured arm. You don't want to do that. If you fall, just let it go. When you do start paddling it's a good time to focus on the technical aspects of a stroke. Lots of videos on that from Larry Cain and Dave Kalama.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 11:39:10 AM »
I’m 13 months past my RTC surgery (full thickness tear of my supraspinatus).  The only advice I would give you is to listen to your PT and Doc.  Everyone heals a little differently.  In my case, I’ve recovered full range of motion and pretty close to my pre injury strength.  For a 60 year old, I (and my ortho doc) consider myself lucky to say the least.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 12:40:10 PM »
I'm going through this right now, second hand, with my wife’s rotator cuff repair (full re-attachment), and it’s no joke how out of commission one’s arm is and for so long.  She’s about 10 weeks out now, and is trying, to Bill and Bean's point, to put 110% into the PT. 

I hung two handles and a pulley from the ceiling in a basement TV/gym sort of area.  It’s not weight bearing per se, but it allows her to pull her arm into range of motion and extension positions that she couldn't do unassisted. And she can vary the range of motion depending on where she situates herself in relation to the pulley.   It works for her.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:42:54 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 05:54:17 AM »
I suffered 3 subluxations of my left shoulder while SUP surfing in March. I'm five months out from June surgery which required a full labrum reattachment (8 anchors) and repairs to two RTCs (5 anchors).

Do as PB suggests -- "do a LOT more PT exercises and sessions than even the most aggressive therapist prescribes" -- because "PTs are used to dealing with wimps and all the fat, inactive people you see everywhere."

Get to PT early and loosen up well before PT -- I especially benefitted from one-armed resistance hand bicycles. Focus initially on recovering full range of motion, which means learning how to embrace the suck. "Do all the exercises 3x/day at home and, if you're not making the same wincing face at home that your making while in PT, then you're not working hard enough at home," my PT taught me. 

I was lucky to have found the best shoulder surgeon and best shoulder PT in Miami. I've recovered full range of motion and am now back paddling at 80-90% (shorter paddle and smaller blade) and strength training under supervision to reverse the atrophy.

Get there early, ask the PT to work you at the max, and do all the homework.

Good luck. 
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 08:20:35 AM »
Love your enthusiasm SJ, but if you have to tell your PT at what level to work you, you are probably going to the wrong PT. 

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 11:24:02 AM »
pain after pt?? ice is nice

however you get there -- directed by a PT, or not -- if you have a serious orthopedic surgery, do as much pre and rehab as youve time for

im 5 weeks into an anterior thr--rode a 40 lb citibike 45mins to 5am surgery-- wanted to be warm and loose when they knocked me down--trained hard prehab--was as fit as ive been in years--wife picked me up and I was home by 1pm--

since day 10, ive been spending 2.5-3 hrs per day, including cardio and icing, 6 days a week--and i walk 3 miles rt a day to/from my office
my surgeon says exertion is good-- no impact or aggressive twisting -- and no falls

with all the band work and other leg specific work i am doing, my leg may be stronger than before surgery--and  i was a daily cyclist and surfed 50-60 sessions in the last year--ill need to be patient as my surgeon says full bone fusion takes 6-8 mos, and i dont want to do this again--i intend to be ready for 2022 storm season here in NE

all people i know who've reported great results and resumption of sports, after orthopedic surgeries, have said that extensive aggressive rehab was the most important input to their process

invest and youll get your best result -- in my case a bad result would be very depressing -- so i invest

best luck getting wet again -- work it and ice it -- i have a polar ice machine bought on amazon --works great -- 249$ -- seems minimal given what the surgery cost in time efffort and $$
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 06:57:03 PM »
Bean, one size does not fit all. My PT is the best in the business in my location and we forged a partnership. Others may be satisfied with being able to put on a t-shirt, and that's fine for them and their PT. I wanted to never have a second-thought that my repaired shoulder was as strong, if not stronger, than the heathy one. He understood my goals for the PT and, during each exercise, constantly discussed how much I was willing to endure to get there.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 09:02:43 AM »
Thanks to all for your comments and advice.
Doing what my PT suggests, my pain is diminishing while my mobility is increasing.
"Healing is a matter of time,..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal