Author Topic: Geezercrutch  (Read 3443 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Geezercrutch
« on: November 16, 2021, 09:04:54 PM »
At first, I thought I was struggling to SUP foil because I've been wingfoiling so much that I've lost my surf mojo (what little I had). But over the past few days, it's become increasingly clear that my weak left knee and my declining balance are the real culprits. This morning in relatively glassy conditions it was taking me four of five tries to get to my feet. Most of the failed attempts ended in an ignominious faceplant. I got in touch with Dave Kalama this afternoon to talk about commissioning a REALLY stable SUP custom foil board, something along the lines of the famous "Mr. Fugly". My wife says a new version has to be named Mr. Handsome. We'll see. But I've been joking about needing a SUP foil board with a walker frame. I don't think I'm quite there yet, but in the meantime, I did this:

https://youtu.be/v8jyysMFHYA
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:18:30 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Geezercrutch
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 10:59:02 PM »
Keep adapting Bill. You may end up having to SUP again or get one of those cool foil sail boats. My left knee keeps trying to mess up my fun, but I bought some new skis and a knee brace. We'll see how that goes?
BTW, I was at a Board & Brew restaurant in San Clemente and sat next to a cool older dude that is friends with you, Dave and Boyum. I forgot his first name (?), but his last name is Nash. He's an videographer who filmed Dave and Laird getting pulled into Jaws the very first time. He used to hang glide with Boyum. Anyway, we talked for a long time. Cool guy, great surf stories. He's been surfing a lot at SanO with a younger girl who's a neighbor of his. She gets he motivated to surf and he's been coaching her.  8)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 01:24:52 AM »
Very good solution, and impressive attitude.
Got a bum knee myself, no need for a crutch yet but maybe in the future.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 08:32:01 AM »
I'm a year younger and have some issues.  I've started increasing my flexibility exercises and that seems to help..There may be a yoga class in your future,  just stay away from wearing yoga pants.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 04:47:27 PM »
Keep at it sir - one of my friends flips the paddle 180 degrees and plants the handle on the deck to aid him in standing up- be well 🤙

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 07:42:37 PM »
I tried it this morning. Not bad, but I think I'm going to try something a little less like a brutal sex toy. I think a short bit of Spectra line with a handle like a chainsaw starting rope might work as well or better.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 07:56:29 PM »
I love it. I’ve been considering shaping a concave into my next prone board or subtle risers on the rails so I can more easily swing my feet under me. No need to struggle because 50 years ago they hadn’t figured this stuff out yet. Innovate.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 08:26:09 PM »
I love it. I’ve been considering shaping a concave into my next prone board or subtle risers on the rails so I can more easily swing my feet under me. No need to struggle because 50 years ago they hadn’t figured this stuff out yet. Innovate.

I would try to shape some EVA foam "handpads" to the thickness you want,streamline them and stick them on with contact glue. I almost did this to the prone board because i was having a hard time getting my front foot (with a DonJoy carbon kneebrace) in the right place on the popup.Just an inch would help a lot.

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 09:08:32 PM »
My right knee has no strength
Been doing the "creek-up' for years

Left hand on the left knee
Right hand on a well waxed paddle shaft

Push up with:
left leg & left hand
Right toes
Right hand on the paddle
make some grunting noise as you lift off... presto!

Easier if you time it as you drop off the back of an incoming wave.... no real lifting.... kind of a "drop-up"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 08:37:50 AM »
Hang in there fellow Geezers, lightweight/wearable/waterproof exoskeletons are right around the corner.  Several promising companies including Ekso, ReWalk, Cyberdyne and others...will be a billion $ market in just a few years.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 09:13:34 AM »

BTW, I was at a Board & Brew restaurant in San Clemente and sat next to a cool older dude that is friends with you, Dave and Boyum. I forgot his first name (?), but his last name is Nash. He's an videographer who filmed Dave and Laird getting pulled into Jaws the very first time. He used to hang glide with Boyum. Anyway, we talked for a long time. Cool guy, great surf stories. He's been surfing a lot at SanO with a younger girl who's a neighbor of his. She gets he motivated to surf and he's been coaching her.  8)

I don't recall the name but then again, I don't recall dinner last night. I'll ask Boyum. If I can remember to ask. Wait, what was I typing about?.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 06:40:42 PM »

I would try to shape some EVA foam "handpads" to the thickness you want,streamline them and stick them on with contact glue. I almost did this to the prone board because i was having a hard time getting my front foot (with a DonJoy carbon kneebrace) in the right place on the popup.Just an inch would help a lot.

Yup, that’s the easy way. But I’m making a new board soon too so might cheat it into the shape.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal