Author Topic: Race board on the roof  (Read 4102 times)

Seawalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Race board on the roof
« on: November 15, 2021, 11:25:30 AM »
Hi all,

First post here. Is it feasible or possible to safely transport a 14 foot board on the roof of a smaller car, like a sedan, hatch, or mid size sedan?

Every car I’ve seen carrying race boards has been an SUV, But in a small car where the board is as long as the car itself, there doesn’t seem to be an easy attachment point to tie down the stern of the board to the front of the car like I see people do with canoes on hatchbacks.

Or is it a non issue really, just get a roof rack and throw it on? I’m trying to figure out logistics before I go with a 14 footer..

Thanks!
Jason
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 11:27:48 AM by Seawalker »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Race board on the roof
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 12:23:51 PM »
Just get a roof rack and throw it on.. Easy and no problem at all.. Also concider getting some of those Velcro roof rack pads to protect the board and quality straps (not the ratchet type).

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 02:51:58 PM »
check out these accessories

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GF8FSF5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

some attachments latch on the front bumper and then attach to the board or kayak or canoe, but you can chip the paint of your hood on a long trip. These gadgets are really well designed, kept in place by the weight the hood and you can put them on either side of the hood with and then run ropes to the board..go fin first deck side down and run the line through the leash plug ..of course you will need roof racks for the rest of the board, but this is an option to control the the board over your hood....

I used these to transport a small sailboat and they worked great.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 11:27:23 PM »
On smaller cars I’ll use a pair of EVA blocks, spread front and back as much as possible, with the straps run through the car, again, spread front and back as much as possible. This often means a strap near the front of the front door opening and near the back of the back door opening.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 04:47:08 AM »
I have been transporting a 14' board on small cars for years with no issues. Strap it to the roof rack and go.

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 07:22:24 AM »
Same here, i drive a civic with roof rack. No issue with my 12'6, just strap it to the roof. no bow or stern straps.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 07:38:58 AM »
Caribsurf... those things are cool. I don't need them but it's good to know that they exist

Seawalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 11:48:57 AM »
Thanks all! Sounds like I don’t need straps on the front of the car then. That makes life easier! Although those under the hood loops on Amazon are a great idea.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 12:02:15 PM »
Caribsurf... those things are cool. I don't need them but it's good to know that they exist

I thought the same thing Tom.  I was stumped trying to find a way to transport a small sailboat and support the bow without damaging the font bumper and hood of my car..those things are genius and worked really well

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 03:37:33 PM »
yeah, you definitely don't need straps on the front of the car.  While I do have a Tacoma with a shell, reality is that the racks on it aren't much farther apart than they would be on a small sedan.  As I pretty much have a board up there full time, I have two further recommendations:  1.  Get a UV cover (Victory Koredry)--not sure where you are but sun exposure is the main thing I worry about.  2.  You don't need to overtighten things.  There's very little chance of losing a board so long as it's snug against the racks or pads.  strapping too tight will lead to pressure dings pretty quickly.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 05:27:13 PM »
I use the NRS 1.5" wide straps. Wider means the pressure gets distributed across a wider area, which is easier on the rail of the board. I loop one strap per rack so the force is distributed even more. You want to put one or two twists in the straps across the top to prevent the tight flat straps from humming when you drive. The humming can also damage the finish on the board. I snug mine down and close the extra strap in the back door. I have the 15' long straps because I'll stack as many as four boards high on my rack (not recommended for freeway driving) ;D
Here's a picture of my car (which has fairly narrow racks) with my 18' race board strapped down. I have driven thousands of miles with the board strapped on just like this. In a board bag for longer trips. Even two 18' boards some times.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 04:48:10 AM »
Amazon is for sissies! If you need hood tie downs, they are easy to make and super useful for larger craft that catch a lot of wind.

gcs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 08:32:59 AM »
Agree with TD on wider straps.  I like Dakine Baha.  Also run an extra strap through vehicle for complete peace of mind and back up.  Check out Blue Planet on YouTube several interesting strapping vids to a prius.
Starboard Allstar 2019 14x28
Infinity Wide Aquatic 10 8
Yolo Original 10 6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal