Author Topic: Fins for 10x32 Foote Triton  (Read 1574 times)

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Fins for 10x32 Foote Triton
« on: November 11, 2021, 03:08:13 PM »
I've been riding a 10x32 Bill Foote Triton for a number of years now. I'm sticking with the board but figured it may be fun to finally switch out the fins. It's a 2+1 set up. One combo I've been looking at is a 7.5 inch Greenough 4A center with a pair of Futures fiberglass sides at roughly 4.7 inches tall each. How much fin is too much or too little? Pros and cons of going bigger/smaller? How much is personal preference or wave conditions or surfing style? Would be grateful for any input. Thanks.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fins for 10x32 Foote Triton
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 06:25:15 PM »
The Triton responds very well to playing around with fins. On the rare occasions that I SUP surf I still prefer my 10'4" X 34" Triton. I really like a small center fin with fairly large side bites. In smaller waves it turns even better than this already surprisingly agile board normally does. For that setup, I use a 4" Island Fin center and 6" no-name cheapo plastic sides.

In confused or bigger surf I use a 7" MFC center fin with the same crappy side bites.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fins for 10x32 Foote Triton
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 05:31:04 PM »
Thanks PonoBill. Did not occur to me to consider a smaller center. It so happens I was gifted a set of larger sides recently so I'm two-thirds of the way there. Will give it a try. While I have big respect for the knowledge and engineering that goes into boards and fins, I have always had a hard time thinking while riding a wave so I've been resistant to switching out gear on the grounds that I was never sure I would notice the difference. But I'm getting out a lot these days and dammit if it doesn't almost feel like I'm starting to have a clue. May well reach out to Foote before too long to get another board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal