Author Topic: Kahului harbor wing foil use  (Read 2394 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kahului harbor wing foil use
« on: November 09, 2021, 08:03:05 AM »
We're 'under the gun' for wing use in Kahului harbor.    Our presence has been contentious.  The canoe clubs on the north side of east Maui have been there for years.  They suspended practices during this pandemic and now that they're returning, they find the harbor and the parking lot around it, filled with wing foilers.

But the greater issue is,  the harbor is a commercial port for the island.  With wind and currents, it's already a tall order for tugs to get their barges into the pier safely.  They need physical and psychic space to do their maneuvering, another words an empty harbor with no distractions. 

The mass majority of wingers are now up to speed on the program.  But please, if you visit here and plan to wing, pay attention to any loud horns, movement by the ships or tugs at the pier and outside the entrance.  For any of these go in immediately.  When they enter the harbor entrance, it's ideal that they don't see any wingers.  You can see them from pretty far out and even the bridge on the tugs are high enough to spot over the breakwall.  They don't move fast. 

The other day a large barge was outside the harbor.    Every one came in except one guy.  When he came inside, I thought he'd come in but then he began to jibe to go back out.  I barked at at him and waved him in.  He was nice enough and said he was under the impression that if he stayed within the buoys it would be OK.   I pointed to everyone else parked on the beach.  "Do you think we all came in so we could watch you wing?"  I explained the 'clear deck' reason for the tugs and he apologized.

Nobody likes telling people what to do and I don't either.  So please ask questions and observe constantly.  There are also posts on some of the trees telling when the canoe practices are so that you can know when not to be in the water and preferably not even around the canoe club washing your gear or putting it away.  I subtract another half hour before they start (3:30 on Tuesday and Thursday) so that my parking space is open to one of them when they begin to arrive.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 08:08:53 AM by headmount »

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kahului harbor wing foil use
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 02:58:00 PM »
Maui has a unique and special, mostly unregulated, natural environment.  It's a rare experience these days to visit a beach, park, or natural landmark without filling in a form, reading a lengthy rule instructional, entering your license plate number,  and paying ten dollars.  To be able to pull up to a beach, swim, fish, have a BBQ without any permits, paperwork, or fees, that's really pretty fantastic. It seems worth the extra effort to keep it that way.  There is so little wild left.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 04:27:39 PM »
Maui has a unique and special, mostly unregulated, natural environment.  It's a rare experience these days to visit a beach, park, or natural landmark without filling in a form, reading a lengthy rule instructional, entering your license plate number,  and paying ten dollars.  To be able to pull up to a beach, swim, fish, have a BBQ without any permits, paperwork, or fees, that's really pretty fantastic. It seems worth the extra effort to keep it that way.  There is so little wild left.
You're absolutely right but the issue is communication.  The canoe clubs had to step up to the plate many decades ago and make their case.  And since they have a club and leadership people who speak for the canoe people, they were able self enforce.  I've heard the anti-wingers use the term 'wing-leadership', which as far as I know doesn't exist. 

So self enforcement hasn't occurred and people who visit haven't been brought up to speed before they go out.  Just a few posts on coco trees is all there is.  Maybe a 'club' is the answer but really they have other issues as well like parking.  It's so wild.  Lots of people have descended on Maui with the re-opening of tourism and many are wingers.  The future of harbor use appears bleak.

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 06:02:06 PM »
Yeah I was there when this happened. There were three folks actually. One guy on a windsurfer who went all the way out. He was Dutch, second day on the island, no clue as to the rules of the harbor. He got a good yelling at, then quickly left the beach. Another was a Canadian winger, moved here recently, he though he was ok staying with in the buoys but was too far out. He got a yelling too. Third guy was the "look at me guy" that thought we were all there to watch him. Also a tourist, driving a rental car pulling his gear out of a suit case.

Trying to teach all the visitors the rules is a challenge. If you visit any beach on Maui, please pay attention! if all the locals are on the beach, get your butt out of the water! It's easy to make friends here on Maui, but you have to try real hard to make enemies, being stupid will do it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal