Author Topic: One board quiver. What would you choose?  (Read 9399 times)

bagus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: One board quiver. What would you choose?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 06:41:08 PM »
I'll chime in to say it also depends how diverse and broad your activities are.  For example, today I entered a very casual, for fun surf contest here in Honolulu at Bowls.  It was microscopic small conditions and there was no lip bashing or speed to be found anywhere.  I only have a 9'6" Blane Chambers (2006 model) which I totally dig, but if I had a choice I would have pulled out a 10' or 10'6" in order to better cruise.

Also... somedays you just need to ride something different.  Even with my longboards I have different shapes for different waves, conditions, and really mind frame.  Do I want to hang ten, carve, or whip it all over the wave.

riverrat

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 07:21:58 PM »
I have concluded that one board is not enough.  But, I am contemplating the perfect "two board quiver."  After sampling and owning some "one size fits all" boards, I always felt too aware of the compromises.  I am now leaning toward a BC in the 9' - 10' range and the Starboard 12'2" board with a mast track.  I will use the former for surfing and the latter for long distance, flatwater paddling; microscopic, summer days in Santa Cruz (most of last summer); and light wind wave sailing. 

I would appreciate any thought about whether the Starboard 12'2", with its 26 5/8 width, is suitable for downwinders.  I am thinking that Northern California offers some opportunities for some great downwinders.  Is he "two board quiver" realistic if I want to do downwinders?  (BTW, I'm 160 lbs and an experienced windsurfer and surfer.)

Thanks for any input.

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 08:18:19 PM »
i totally agree with photosettle. now its not 0.02 but 0.04 cents!

i have 5 windsurfers and 7 sails. thats crazy but thats life. i absolutely can't sacrifice even one item. i can replace for the newer one each board and each sail... but not to get rid off.

i have one and only one single SUB. If I'll have two in the future, this is because I'll have one in Calgary and one on the ocean and I don't have to carry it with me 16 hours on the road, I would be even be able to fly!; the only reason. the beauty of this sport personally for me is that i just go. I always find conditions that right. waves too big? - I'll surf the soup on inside... waves too small? I'll catch shin size anyway. Wind from the North? I'll go in the bay that is protected from the North. Winds from the South? I'll drive to other bay, protected from the South. I am at the lake? I start dancing on my board, paddling, doing turns, hops, jumps, etc., panhandling from every power boat for a ride, and if i lucky to get one, I'll be surfing behind the motor boat at 12 mph. All on one board.

And unlike windsurfing I can SCHEDULE my time! I know the time to drive, the time to untie my board from the roof and put a wetsuite, and I know for a fact that it is no less than 2 hours and no more than 3 (3 hours is my limit!). try to imagine something remotely close with windsurfing.

One board quiver rules! Now what should it be - the board that is less challenging in the most conditions or the most challenging? I.e. how do you rig your sails - for gust or for lull? do you like be overpowered? or you  comfortable shlogging in the lull? personal choice. For me personally, the challenge should be there together with control. That's why I am happy with my first choice 11'*28". Now after I learned somewhat I know better what to expect (I now want to shave a bit of length, but not even a quarter inch in the width!). But it will be a one board quiver. I have one car quiver, and one SUB! may be I have an amateur approach, but I think I am the one, just starting the sport. May be after I became a pro (masters division, 10+ years from now) I'll have two boards :)

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 05:06:53 PM »
I hear you guys on the one board quiver thing!

Photosettle, if you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions of your 10'2" Chamber model?

Rand, thanks for the info!  But, I'm very hesitant to go under 28" for mid-width for now.  You guys handle those smaller widths in choppy conditions?  Man, I can see I have a long way to go!!  :)

supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

photosettle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 08:09:30 PM »
10'-2" x 4-1/4"+ x 28-1/2" Semi-pulled nose Ripper. (i'm about 190 lbs)
I believe Blaine had it glassed  a little heavy as well?  If you contact him, he will know exactly what he did for me.  He was awesome to work with and i really felt like he was interested in helping me find the best board for the conditions i would normally ride in.  It's the only board i've ridden so far other than using windsurf boards but it feels pretty stable to me.  I had it out this weekend in pretty choppy water and aside from probably some novice type falls, I did not generally have a problem balancing in the chop.  I attribute this to blaines skill to design a moderately short board that is still quite stable.

Toejammer can chime in here but he spent a few minutes on my board in the same choppy conditions and he might be able to give a quick comparison to Big Red which he has been riding.   He makes both boards look easy.  He was not on mine for long but he may be able to offer some comparison to a 'big' board compared to a smaller custom board.  I would have thought there would be more difference in stability than there actually was.

Anyhow... hope that helps.

Shane

PS: just thought i'd add to my ealier post that if i got to stand up paddle every day and was able to dedicate more time to the sport, i doubt i would say i only wanted a 1 board quiver.  My only point was that the sport can be enjoyed from a minimilist point of view as well. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 08:16:18 PM by photosettle »

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal