Author Topic: One board quiver. What would you choose?  (Read 9381 times)

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
One board quiver. What would you choose?
« on: October 12, 2007, 02:48:15 PM »
I was reading supguam's "Future for shorter SUPs" thread.  I can see where you would possible need a quiver of SUPs (maybe 2) so you can match the board to the conditions.  But what if you would like one, all around, performance SUP?  What size would you choose?  Do you have to go 10' or below' to get the wave performance?

I guess I'm wondering if I can have my cake and eat it too!  I'd love to have a performance board, but would also like to be able to use that board to paddle to breaks up and down the coast.  For some reason I have it in my head that to use those 9'er boards, that you are mainly staying in one spot to SUP, and you are not wondering 1/2 mile or 1 mile (up or downwind) to search for other breaks.

Anyway, just curious what you guys would choose if you could only have one board.

supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: One board quiver. What would you choose?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 03:16:40 PM »
I'm looking forward to others input on this as I am in the market for my first 'real' board. So far, I am leaning strongly toward the 10'6" C4. I am also considering the surftec 11' long 27" wide Laid.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 03:27:19 PM »
Guess it kinda depends on your size... My 9'6" is a great cruiser... but I'm kinda a lightweight. It works pretty darn well in most conditions.. except super windy since its got the thick rails and is sooo light. We do long distance cruises all the time.   Dont think I'd want much smaller if it was my only board though.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 03:34:52 PM »
Hi CB1,

You can go 1 mile or two on any board you will be able to make waves on.  You may not be the fastest paddler in the pack, but it is a great workout cruising on a smaller board.  How tall and heavy are you?

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »
I think it depends on your ability, size, and surf conditions. With decent surfing ability, weighing 220lbs, and living on Oahu, and if I were limited to one board and one board only, I'd get something in the 10' 6" range, 28 3/4 wide, 4.25 thick. Decent amount of tail kick. Slightly fuller nose but not full noserider style. I think I'd also get a pop out for durability.

People get exited with small SUBs but unless you were ripping on regular surfboards, you aren't going to rip on an 8' SUB either.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 04:08:21 PM »

"People get exited with small SUBs but unless you were ripping on regular surfboards, you aren't going to rip on an 8' SUB either."

I totally agree with this comment! And I like the dimensions given by Mr. Dakine- sounds to me like a good all around board (and kind of sounds like the SOS Big Blue).

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »
Hi guys,

The original poster was asking if they should consider 10 or below (not 8 foot).  Lets find out the body size and take it from there.  I think Tony's siggestion is great for a rider at 220 lbs, but if CB1 is 140 to 160,  that big may be nothing to get excited about. 

Plenty of mid weight riders with a month worth of paddling days are surfing waves in high style on boards in the low to mid 9's. 

CB1 said, "I guess I'm wondering if I can have my cake and eat it too!"

Chances are, he can.

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 05:20:07 PM »
You are absolutely right Rand. I wasn't suggesting CB1 get what I would get. Just wanted to throw in factors for consideration i.e. rider size, ability, and average wave conditions.

In addition to CB1's size, I'd also like to know what his definition of "all around" is? To me it's a balance of glide, stability, and performance and what areas of the three do you want to emphasize.

Byronmaui

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 05:35:47 PM »
There is no way you can have a one board quiver.....lol

Aloha

Byron

Blane Chambers

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »
I have a 9'-6" that works really fun in a variety of waves.   Even with a pulled in nose it nose rides unreal and rips turns pretty good...   It was made a little heavy for bigger waves so it can handle some size too.    If I had to, that would be it...    But I will say...   THANK GOODNESS FOR A QUIVER!

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 08:41:52 PM »
   I agree that I could not have a one board quiver. However, if I was told I could only have one board, and one board only,  it would have to be the SOS Blue.  It's 10'-10'',  28 1/2 wide and 4'' thick. That board preforms great in my surf and I tour with it also.  Its stable and yet loose while surfing. I'm 185 #'s and it floats and supports me great.
  I was lucky to have demo'd the C4  10'-6''  model and that board was great in the surf as well.  It was stable in the onshore chop/ 2-3' waves rolling in.  I have not toured with the board but I'm sure you can or I can do a 6-8 mile paddle. If I owned that board, It may be my favorite.
   There are alot of good SUP's on the market all with their own pros and cons. I feel its up to the rider/owner what they want out of a board givin' their location and local conditions they will be using the board. I'm sure my favorite board may not work as well somewhere else with different water conditions and visa versa.  Its up to the individual ,what they want in a SUB and where they want to go in this sport.  We all have our likes and dislikes and thats what make us all great unique individuals.
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 06:37:34 AM »
Thanks for all the comments!  This is interesting topic looking at it from a minimalist mode.  I know limiting yourself to one board can be a stretch!  :)  The sport is too addictive.  But I could see myself with a one board quiver, which may be laughable!

Anyway, here are my stats, which I left out.  US east coast, 6', ~190lbs.  I do not have a real surfing background , closest thing I can claim to saying about waves is that I'm a long time windsurfing wave sailor.

My current ride is the Naish 11'6" (don't laugh, I know it's thick!). What's done is done.   :)

I think Tony Dakine, nailed it on the definitiion of "all arounder" for me.  I think I would like to emphasize mainly the stability/performance side, and glide for cruising would be last.

Another reason I was asking about that one board quiver, is that I thought I had read somewhere, once you step down to a smaller SUP, that you need to stay on it and not go larger as it may throw your game off? 
supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 07:47:57 AM »
A board you might want to consider is the Tim Stamps Commander. I've never ridden it but the write up on Paddlesurf.net and on Stamp's website makes it sound like it would be a good board for your situation.

http://www.surfboardsbystamps.com/index.php?module=gallery&section=6&catid=52

I find it a little tricky switching back and forth between big and small boards but only for the first few minutes then my body figures it out. I wouldn't let that be a factor for having a quiver of boards. For me, price holds me back. I'm looking for 3 - 4 boards as opposed to the 8 regular surfboards I own (actually owned because I'm selling most off to finance the SUP addiction)

There are a ton of boards out there that would be good for you. If you get one and decide that you really wanted a bigger, smaller, wider, or narrower board you can always sell and get another.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 08:52:11 AM »
Another reason I was asking about that one board quiver, is that I thought I had read somewhere, once you step down to a smaller SUP, that you need to stay on it and not go larger as it may throw your game off? 

Hi CB1,

I think I wrote the suggestion that you mentioned, but I meant it as more of a practice for when you are initially transitioning to a much smaller board.  At that point, going from your new small board back to a an ultra stable board will hinder your learning curve on the smaller ride.  You just have to commit to it for a while, and soon it will become stable.  Tony is correct, this is no reason not to have a few boards.  Once you have your little board down, you will be able to switch from large to small with no problem, but give it a few weeks. 

Additionally, if you get the chance to paddle boards that are on the way small side for you, it really helps when you go back to your just small board. 

Since you already have a good board for coastal cruising, why not look at something 9'6-9'10, 4.125-4.25, 27.25-27.75. Email some shapers off of our list that have already made a bunch of boards in that size range that people have liked, and dive in.

Best, Rand

photosettle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 12:53:38 PM »
OK... My 2 cents.  I have a surfing (mostly longboarding) and a windsurfing background.  My experience from the windsurfing world was that most people including myself get so caught up in having the 'perfect' gear for every condition.  To some extent there is good reason for this.  However, part of the appeal to stand up paddling for me is it's potential simplicity... One board, one paddle and i'm out on the water having fun in a variety of conditions.  Being somewhat new to the sport, i can defanitely eventually see wanting a few boards, but on the otherhand, i'm very content w/ one right now.  I can paddle lakes, paddle the ocean, surf all on one board.  For what it is worth i have a custom 10'2" Chambers and so far i'm extremely happy w/ it.  If i were to really get into distance paddling, i could see the need(want) for a longer board made for this.  I could also see then need(want) for a smaller board in the future.  But as for now, i can do several things on one board and this simplicity keeps the sport fun for me.  Of course i couldn't keep up w/ someone on a dedicated distance board, but who cares if i'm not racing.  I'm still getting a good work out and i can turn around and catch some waves in the same session w/ the same board.  Not to mention, i'm not worried about gear getting stolen off my car, which might be the case if i had a multi-board quiver.

Anyhow, the great thing is that you can have as many or as few items as you like and if it is fun for you then that is all that matters.  An anology might be this:  If all i had was a mt. bike, i can still have fun on the road.  I would be perfectly stoked as well.  The stoke only goes away if you start trying to keep up w/ the roadbikes and let yourself get bummed if you can't.  As for me, i'm enjoying the ride i have w/ the simplicity of a one board quiver.  If you surf better because you have the 'perfect' board for the specific condition, then i will just smile and be happy for you. 

Having said all that, I totaly understand that you can get the best preformance when you have a tool that matches what you are trying to do.  But for me, i prefer simplicity to complexity, even if preformance may be hindered some.

Shane

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal