Author Topic: F-one 8m Strike CWC - Finally a big wing I'm stoked on!  (Read 18619 times)

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: F-one 8m Strike CWC - Finally a big wing I'm stoked on!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 04:32:00 AM »
Like to hear how the handles are hopefully improved as had a V1 swing 6m and the handles if you call them that were definitely the weakest flimsiest handles I've ever used winging didnt like them at all and rear handle placement was to far forward for my 225lbs.Must say the 8m looks looks interesting but question is hows the handles on the big rig any picts reports
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

m_the_foiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 10:20:00 AM »
Clay,
What is the lowest speed you've tested this wing in? I'm also considering one to keep foiling in our off-season winds. I'm in San Mateo, so similar off-season conditions as yours I imagine.
Cabrinha Code 65L
F4 GP1000
F-One Strike/Swing 3.5, 4.1, 5.0, 7.0

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 10:55:55 AM »
Another big fan of the 7m CWC after three low wind sessions.  Big takeaways 1. I was foiling in conditions where I would not have even tried with either of my two previous 6m wings. 2. It is really light in the hands and easy and even pleasant to use, even in slogging conditions

[reasonably experienced  80 kg foiler in second year of wingdinging, using a 98l board and Axis 1060/420]

I’ve had both a 2020 f1 Swing 6m and BRM 6m, and found both to be heavy, no fun, and not really much better than a 5m in low winds.  This wing is entirely different.  It can be pumped up on foil in much less wind and pretty intuitively, and once up it generated enough power to stay up in really light winds.  If I had to guess, I can get up in 10mph and stay foiing down to 6 or so – but those are really just guesses; I don’t really know the speeds.  I do know that it will get up and stay up at much lower windspeeds than a 2020 BRM 6m or a 2021 BRM 5.5m (and the 5.5 is a great wing with a pretty good low end IMO). 

What people have said about the tips bouncing off the water is true – you don’t pay the usual penalty for letting a wingtip touch when holding the big wing vertically to go upwind.  It also is the best wing I’ve used with a harness – stays locked and stable when you are hooked in, even in light winds.  It does pull on you quite a bit, but the harness makes that not much of an issue for me.

For those of you who, like me, end up going out in too little wind, or when the wind is going to die, the slogging performance of the CWC7 was a really nice surprise.  It supports its own weight and provides enough drive to hold ground in winds way too light to get up on a foil, either kneeling or standing on a +15 board.

I am really impressed with this wing and really happy I decided to spend all that money on it – F1 deserve praise for really thinking through how to make a wing work in low winds.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 06:03:10 PM »
About 10 sessions now, really loving this 8m wing.  Only downside is I'm going out when wind is single digits and spending considerable time schlogging.

If averaging 10mph I get up consistently, if single digits waiting for a gust, I can stay up on foil in single digits it's just much harder to get up and to jibe.  Once on foil it's amazing how little wind I can foil with.

I didn't ever consider the 7m, not enough for my weight and off season winds.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2021, 04:41:49 PM »
The "Lonely Wing" -- you're usually out there by yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cLyzkcQsRc

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 06:58:56 AM »
The "Lonely Wing" -- you're usually out there by yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cLyzkcQsRc

That's a 5M Strike he's using.

Specs from YouTube -

BOARD: F-One Rocket Wing v2 (75L). I've grown into this board, and it seems to be a good all-rounder for my weight (75kg).

WING: F-One Strike 5M. Probably slightly too small for these conditions, but my CWC 6M was being repaired. I was surprised to be flying so easily with the 5M in such light conditions.

FOIL: AXIS BLACK SERIES - 1050 font wing, short fuselage, 400 rear wing, 90cm aluminium mast. I'm really happy it in light conditions - easy to pump up with good speed and glide.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 07:07:45 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 10:12:58 AM »
My bad!  More power to those of you who can get going in these light winds on a 5 metre -- I can't, at least not on a 1440 sq. cm. foil.  I need a big wing like the 8 metre Strike, especially if it's gusting from 5 to 8 or 9.  Sure looks like fun though -- less effort to handle a 5 (and less expensive) -- anyway, good thing there are some very nice big wings out there for wingers like me.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2021, 01:50:59 PM »
My bad!  More power to those of you who can get going in these light winds on a 5 metre -- I can't, at least not on a 1440 sq. cm. foil.  I need a big wing like the 8 metre Strike, especially if it's gusting from 5 to 8 or 9.  Sure looks like fun though -- less effort to handle a 5 (and less expensive) -- anyway, good thing there are some very nice big wings out there for wingers like me.

Still a good video to watch. Thanks for posting it.

If he's that good with a 5M, I'd like to see how low a windspeed he could go with an 8M CWC.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

randomfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2021, 02:19:04 PM »
3 questions:

1. @165lbs (mostly on lakes) should I get the 7m or 8m?
I have a 5m and it works perfectly if there is wind, but we have a lot of marginal days and gusty days where the gusts are just not enough for the 5m.

2. has anybody tried the 7m Takoon and the 7m CWC and could compare?

3. does anybody know what OR will be doing with their 7m? 

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2021, 01:03:58 PM »
3 questions:

I have a 5m and it works perfectly if there is wind, but we have a lot of marginal days and gusty days where the gusts are just not enough for the 5m.

I'm 156 lbs. and winging on fresh water -- if you really want to get on the water and don't have an e-foil for those 3 to 9 m.p.h. days then IMO go big with the 8 metre.  You have to be willing to stand around for awhile waiting for a gust and then when it comes not to waste it  -- once up you then need to figure out how to pump through the lulls using both the foil and wing and then just the foil.  There will be lots of incentive to stay on foil because if you don't it may be some time before you get another chance!  The 8 metre at least gives one the opportunity to turn a normally non-winging day into a day you can wing and have a good time -- blasting along through lulls of basically nothing while looking for the next 6 or 7 knot gust can be fun, especially if you only get a 15 to 20 knot day once a week or so in the summer -- if you're lucky.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2021, 12:50:40 AM »
3 questions:

2. The CWC 7m is bigger than my 1st gen Takoon but not quite as big as the Slick 7m.. The Takoon 7m is more like a 6-6.5 in comparison. I only tried the CWC for just a short time but it had more low end for sure. It seemed to go upwind a little better. Over all just had a smoothness to it which was nice. I'm not a fan of the handles on the CWC but maybe with time I could get use to them.  I'd imagine if I were to get the 8 CWC Which would be handy for sure, I'd want to make a boom for it.
Personally at my very novice stage, and being on a lake, I prefer my Slick 7m over the CWC 7. YMMV.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

randomfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2021, 08:13:09 AM »
thanks for the replies deja vu and fishman.
I am tempted to get the 8m CWC. I don't mind the handles on the 5m Strike so that won't deter me.
The only open question is what to expect from the 7m Ocean Rodeo ... I love my 4m OR ...
Either way, winter is here and I have at least 4 more months to make up my mind before the lake will thaw.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2021, 08:17:28 AM »
thanks for the replies deja vu and fishman.
I am tempted to get the 8m CWC. I don't mind the handles on the 5m Strike so that won't deter me.
The only open question is what to expect from the 7m Ocean Rodeo ... I love my 4m OR ...
Either way, winter is here and I have at least 4 more months to make up my mind before the lake will thaw.

Does the 7m Aluula OR exist?

I owned the 7m CWC and now own the 6m Aluula OR. No comparison. The OR is way better in light wind. Better pumping, and lighter than the 7m CWC. A 7m OR would certainly better the 8m CWC.

randomfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2021, 10:35:18 AM »

I owned the 7m CWC and now own the 6m Aluula OR. No comparison. The OR is way better in light wind. Better pumping, and lighter than the 7m CWC. A 7m OR would certainly better the 8m CWC.

I would agree with you from my previous exposure to the 6m CWC and 5m OR ... from what I have seen the 7m OR doesn't exist yet as they are coming out with a 7m light wind specific version as opposed to a scaled up version ... but I can't find anymore where I last read that ...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2021, 11:33:53 AM »

I would agree with you from my previous exposure to the 6m CWC and 5m OR ... from what I have seen the 7m OR doesn't exist yet as they are coming out with a 7m light wind specific version as opposed to a scaled up version ... but I can't find anymore where I last read that ...

Talking to someone in the know, my understanding is that OR going to come out with more discipline specific wings
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal