Author Topic: F-one 8m Strike CWC - Finally a big wing I'm stoked on!  (Read 18627 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
F-one 8m Strike CWC - Finally a big wing I'm stoked on!
« on: November 03, 2021, 12:33:16 PM »
Three sessions in with the eight meter CWC Strike.  Huge improvement over other big wings I have tried:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKTWCvySu0Q

I had a first gen gong 7m, and then slingwing v2 6.4m, the first was just massive and heavy, second had to abrupt pull and weird handle/placement, I sold both after a handful of sessions.

Some surf spots are wind shadowed and with a 6m it was either very difficult or a no go, stoked to see how the 8m works this winter.

Anyone else tried these new big wings?

Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

WingTime

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-one 8m Strike CWC - Finally a big wing I'm stoked on!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 07:04:43 PM »
These wings rock !!
I’m 100kg and the 8m wing is goto/ light wind buster , get up in 12 .
Lots of grunt and also a  light weight for it’s size and the neutral flight is amazing.

The 8m is a big wing but it doesn’t feel like it and it’s a game changer especially for bigger guys.

I Have tried many other big wings and nothing compares to strike CWC 8m, can’t go wrong.

thatdeonguy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 08:55:22 PM »
Clay,
I was so excited to see your video of the Strike 8.0
I've been waiting for months for mine to arrive.
It should be perfect wing for Belmont Shores fickle winds

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 10:58:37 PM »
Ah, Belmont Shores. When I lived there in the '70s we called it "south sodom" because of all the stewardesses, models, etc. that lived there. I formulated the inverse square law of the babeiverse, being the quantity and quality of beautiful women varied as the inverse square of the distance from Bayshore Ave (actually, Ximino, as there was a clutch of four houses there with some of the most spectacular women I've ever met). If you couldn't get laid in Belmont shores, you couldn't get laid. I imagine it's changed. I used to crew (meaning, supply weight on the tramp) for some guys that raced catamarans there. I always have to cruise around the Shores when I'm visiting SoCal, just because I had so much fun there. I was a motorcycle mechanic at several dealerships in the area. Racing in the desert, body surfing at the wedge, endless parties...  it was a remarkable time and place.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:06:13 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DCSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 06:40:14 AM »
Oh Yea !! I agree 100%with all these comments, especially Pono Bills😀. Love this wing. I am 6'6",
250lbs, and for the first time in 30 years of windsports, they now call me 'Lite Wind Dave'😀😀🏄‍♂️🏄‍♂️

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 01:45:26 PM »
Here's Dominick Hoskins review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfZgf9zY404
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:00:03 PM by deja vu »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 01:51:45 PM »
I just got one a few days ago.  I can get up on foil in 8 knots on my 7.0 Slick so I'm hoping the 8.0 will open up those 5 to 10 knot days for me.  There were a number of days last summer that were close but no cigar.  I've pumped it up to see what it looks like -- looks pretty big.  I've got to remember to make sure the push valve is in the up position before I start pumping or the wing just deflates when I remove the adapter.  I'm not use to this type of valve -- none of my other wings' valves are like this.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:09:59 PM by deja vu »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 06:23:41 PM »
Finally got this big wing on the water -- 1 to maybe 8 knots, 9 degrees C.  I wanted to test out some cold water gear and also see what the Strike could do in low gusty winds.  At about 5 or 6 knots this thing wakes up, sucks in some caffeine and takes off -- it is a beast!  If you get a lot of low wind gusty days this one is hard to beat!   :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 06:28:05 PM by deja vu »

Supfool

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 09:37:34 AM »
Finally got this big wing on the water -- 1 to maybe 8 knots, 9 degrees C.  I wanted to test out some cold water gear and also see what the Strike could do in low gusty winds.  At about 5 or 6 knots this thing wakes up, sucks in some caffeine and takes off -- it is a beast!  If you get a lot of low wind gusty days this one is hard to beat!   :)

Nice, what size board and foil are you pairing it with deja vu?

blockidog

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 11:51:29 AM »
I was originally looking at the 6m Strike CWC for lighter winds as a my largest currently is an Ensis 5.2 V2.  Not much of a gap so now considering the the 7m Strike CWC.

I weigh 175 #'s / 79kg's - I assume the 7m will be enough for lighter winds??
Current:
 SUPSurf Machine 5'/93L FoilBoard
 Axis HPS1050, ART999, BSC1060, PNG1150     
 Ensis 5.2 & 3.5
 Sunova Speed 8'2"
 PSH 10'0" Hand Glassed Pulled Nose/Swallow Tail
 SIC 12'6" Bullet SCC
Prior:
 Axis 1010
 Coreban 8'0" VIBE
 PSH 8'9" Hull Ripper Carbon
 Hobie 9'4" CM Raw

FlyKiteSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 01:39:14 PM »
Related to Blockidog's query...my large wing is a 6.4m Slinging V2. I'm 185# naked. One season winging. Wondering whether a 7m CWC will have that much more pull than the 6.4m V2 in light, flukey southern Monterey Bay, CA winds...or, if I'd need the 8m CWC for a real, notable difference and access to the MANY days of 6-14kt swirling winds near the wharf. Perhaps Clay, who once had the V2, would opine...

Supfool

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 03:34:23 PM »
Related to Blockidog's query...my large wing is a 6.4m Slinging V2. I'm 185# naked. One season winging. Wondering whether a 7m CWC will have that much more pull than the 6.4m V2 in light, flukey southern Monterey Bay, CA winds...or, if I'd need the 8m CWC for a real, notable difference and access to the MANY days of 6-14kt swirling winds near the wharf. Perhaps Clay, who once had the V2, would opine...

Yeah I'm also wondering about this given my biggest wing is a 6.2.  There's a definite law of diminishing return with bigger sails, kites, and wings from what I have seen so far.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 05:19:25 PM »

Nice, what size board and foil are you pairing it with deja vu?

I was on the 95 litre (5" 4") Fanatic Sky Wing with a Kijura 1440.  Thank God for that 95 litres in the lulls!

So why an 8 metre Strike when I already have a 7 metre Slick?  1) I'm not sure I could have gotten on foil at all with the Slick and 2) if I had I would have had to pump my butt off!  If pumping is your thing then stick with a 6 or 7 metre wing.  I'm not interesting in spending time in the ICU after a wing foiling session. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 05:27:34 PM by deja vu »

To bad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 08:06:20 PM »
I have the 7m Strike CWC. Love it. I had the Slingwings v2 (3.2, 4.4, 5.4 and 6.4). Sold them all now have quiver of Strikes (3.5, 4.2, 5, 7m).
I ride the 5'4" Fanatic 95L and Moses 1100 and 950. I weigh 190 and ride in gusty holey wind.
It has changed the game for me.
My buddy ahs them all 8, 7, 6, 5, 4.2, and 3.5. He rides 8m or 6m when I am on 7m (right in between) he is heavier than me though.
Rode the 7m last 3 days in all sorts of wind (10 to 30mph) not a problem

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2021, 07:56:59 PM »
I had a 7M AirRush which I considered borderline unusable, Heavy and clumsy.  I previously had a 6M swing which was useful, but wide, and it flipped easily if a tip touched down. The 6M Strike CWC is a huge improvement, and until I read this thread I didn't consider a 7, 7, or 9 CWC. The 6 covers a lot of ground. Now I'm thinking maybe an 8 for those frustrating days where the wind is steady but just a bit too light.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal