Author Topic: Infinity RNB PPVC  (Read 5425 times)

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
Infinity RNB PPVC
« on: October 28, 2021, 10:16:09 AM »
Any thoughts on the Infinity RNB PPVC? Anyone surf both the pvc and the carbon versions and have a comparison to share? I'm thinking about picking up an 8'8 in the pvc construction - seems like a solid board at a good price. I have always preferred rounded pintails so I am curious how that tail will perform.

https://infinity-sup.com/collections/sup-surf/products/rnb-ppvc-carbon

from the website:
The Round Nose Blurr is one of our most popular performance surf designs of all time. Perfect blend of performance vs stability and a noticeably FAST board. This design bridges the gap between a traditional shortboard style outline and the  inspired parallel rail boards. This board allows riders to ride shorter and narrower board while maintaining similar stability of a board 1-2" wider. Features a slight single concave and a deeper double between the fins. Very versatile in the small stuff and can mix it up in some juice as well with the 5 fin option.

This construction is made up of ultra light CAD designed and CNC cut stringerless EPS foam blank that is wrapped in a high grade E glass shell and reinforced with PVC for strength and integrity. We add carbon for linear strength and flex control. This construction is very strong, durable and the way we have sandwiched up the materials together has proven to be performance driven. All finboxes and handles are installed with a high density foam anchor then capped for a nearly bomb proof install. Light, Strong and Performance minded.
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Infinity RNB PPVC
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 12:37:08 PM »
I cannot comment about the construction but I can comment about the shape. I ride a custom 8'4 X 120l version at 240 pounds. For your weight, the 8'8 will be way to big and will be a struggle on anything but really small waves. RNBs can (and should be) surfed as small as comfortable as they are incredible stable. I would recommend going with 8'2 x 29 X 115l version.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 02:06:10 PM »
These are high performance boards. Most the people that I see riding them are the best riders in the lineup and like BigZ said, they ride them small. The actual blur model is even more pulled in. Split tails work great on wider SUP surf boards. As for the PVC sandwich, it's the best construction out there. The down side is it can take a little too much flex out of the board. It just matters how much PVC foam and where they put it. I'm 6'7 230lbs and I ride an 8'8 L41 that is about 140 liters. I could go down to 125l and be fine.
BigZ's sizing looks about right. If you surf in a lot of chop, the 8'2 x 30" might be better.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 02:23:08 PM »
Interesting. If that's the case I'll just stick with my JL Destroyer 8'5. I was hoping to pick up something a little longer, wider, and with more volume for the winter when I'm wearing my heavy rubber.

If they start making the New Deal in this less expensive PVC construction, I'm all over that 9 footer. DAVE BOEHNE, ARE YOU OUT THERE?  ;)

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 08:13:35 PM »
Interesting. If that's the case I'll just stick with my JL Destroyer 8'5. I was hoping to pick up something a little longer, wider, and with more volume for the winter when I'm wearing my heavy rubber.

If they start making the New Deal in this less expensive PVC construction, I'm all over that 9 footer. DAVE BOEHNE, ARE YOU OUT THERE?  ;)

I also have 8'5 Destroyer. This is my crazy, windy, messy  conditions board. I don't think you will get any gains in stability going with bigger boards. To the contrary at 190 pounds anything over 115 or so will be more unstable because of too much volume. In my biased opinion when you go over 1.2 Guild factor you don't get any stability gains from the volume itself. It is all about the shape. 1.4+ boards will be inherently unstable in choppy waters due to corkiness.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 05:32:31 AM »
That’s been my thinking too (since jumping on the sim-sup bandwagon with a custom infinity about 10 years ago).

I just picked up a 9’6” Infinity HPL (longboard) in the “less expensive PVC construction”.  From the outside it looks and feels very similar to my New Deal, but haven’t gotten out on it yet.  There is striking similarity to the Thunderbolt technology here. While I like to think that Infinity (Dave B) is the early innovator in this instance, there have been a lot of great surf-minds working on similar approaches to board building.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 04:42:15 PM »

When I saw this thread I hoped you had bought an infinity PPVC board, as I'm curious about the weight. 

I was considering an RNB, called a shop who had a PVC version in stock, and asked what their general impression of the construction was. Their comment was that it was noticeably heavy.

That could have been very subjective on the shop guy's part. But left me curious, as they're half the price of the carbon suspension construction.     

RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 03:31:13 PM »
I bought an 8'8 RNB (carbon... not the pvc I originally was aking about) off craigslist a few hours ago, immediately got it wet since there were chest-high waves here today, and I have to say... I'm unsure. It's a GORGEOUS board. So solidly built and very lightweight - I'd guess around 17lbs and it feels bombproof. It was ridiculously stable, which was really nice as there was a bit of a side chop. But I struggled with the takeoff and bottom turn because of that wide split tail. All of my current and previous boards were rounded pins and I really love that tail shape because it doesn't get pushed by the wave at takeoff, can bottom turn super easily, and can turn from the middle of the board. It seems like I'm going to have to really work on my foot positioning throughout the entire wave because of this tail. I finally had better luck on takeoff if I got in surf stance as soon as the wave had me gliding and put my rear foot way back. But I definitely wasn't confident with my bottom turn by the end of the session... I'm used to takeoff and turn, but with this board I wasn't quite getting it there and ended up missing the pocket on most waves. Any tips from those who ride wide split tails after coming from a rounded pin?

The other thing I didn't love was the handle. Even though the board is light, the handle isn't deep enough. You can just get your fingertips curled. I love my Jimmy Lewis handles where you can get your whole finger in there. It makes a huge different when you have to walk a lot.

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 06:04:25 PM »
Interesting. I’m curious how the RNB compares to L41 Simsups… similar? dissimilar?

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 07:31:58 PM »
I bought an 8'8 RNB (carbon... not the pvc I originally was aking about) off craigslist a few hours ago, immediately got it wet since there were chest-high waves here today, and I have to say... I'm unsure. It's a GORGEOUS board. So solidly built and very lightweight - I'd guess around 17lbs and it feels bombproof. It was ridiculously stable, which was really nice as there was a bit of a side chop. But I struggled with the takeoff and bottom turn because of that wide split tail. All of my current and previous boards were rounded pins and I really love that tail shape because it doesn't get pushed by the wave at takeoff, can bottom turn super easily, and can turn from the middle of the board. It seems like I'm going to have to really work on my foot positioning throughout the entire wave because of this tail. I finally had better luck on takeoff if I got in surf stance as soon as the wave had me gliding and put my rear foot way back. But I definitely wasn't confident with my bottom turn by the end of the session... I'm used to takeoff and turn, but with this board I wasn't quite getting it there and ended up missing the pocket on most waves. Any tips from those who ride wide split tails after coming from a rounded pin?

The other thing I didn't love was the handle. Even though the board is light, the handle isn't deep enough. You can just get your fingertips curled. I love my Jimmy Lewis handles where you can get your whole finger in there. It makes a huge different when you have to walk a lot.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 08:08:13 PM by BigZ »

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 07:58:19 PM »

And the reason is that 8’8 is way too big for you. As pointed out before, RNBs are high performance shapes that should be ridden as small as possible. At your weight you should be on 8’2x29x115.  I would even argue that if you don’t mind some effort you could be on 7’11. 8’8 would be a great board for a rider in 260+ pounds range.

Shapes like RNB, Blurr, Starboard Pro, JP Pro, etc should be ridden at 1.0-1.2 Guild factor. 1.3 at most. If you need (or think you need) more buoyancy you should be on a different board.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 08:18:55 PM by BigZ »

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 06:39:27 AM »

When I saw this thread I hoped you had bought an infinity PPVC board, as I'm curious about the weight. 

I was considering an RNB, called a shop who had a PVC version in stock, and asked what their general impression of the construction was. Their comment was that it was noticeably heavy.

That could have been very subjective on the shop guy's part. But left me curious, as they're half the price of the carbon suspension construction.     

I have been pretty much exclusively been foiling for the last couple of years but jumped at the opportunity to pick up a 7'11 PVC construction RNB (not the newer PPVC+) when they went on sale in September.  Depending on the size, I don't think it is heavy.  I did weigh it when I first got it and it came in at 12.4 lbs (and still have that picture), but I think this was a measurement fluke, as when I weigh it now with quad fins, railtape, etc. it is consistently 15 lbs even.  I say get the shop to put the size you want on a scale.

P.S. Oh, and if you are considering the PVC construction, I am not a fan of the fins that it comes with and use my own.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 06:52:36 AM by 805StandUp »

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 06:51:25 AM »

And the reason is that 8’8 is way too big for you. As pointed out before, RNBs are high performance shapes that should be ridden as small as possible. At your weight you should be on 8’2x29x115.  I would even argue that if you don’t mind some effort you could be on 7’11. 8’8 would be a great board for a rider in 260+ pounds range.

Shapes like RNB, Blurr, Starboard Pro, JP Pro, etc should be ridden at 1.0-1.2 Guild factor. 1.3 at most. If you need (or think you need) more buoyancy you should be on a different board.

What he ^^^^^ said. As I mentioned above, I picked up a PVC RNB this past September.  The impetus was that I missed a 7'4x30x105L Hypernut that I sold a couple years back.  Prior to picking up the 7'11x28x98L RNB, my preferred tails and the only two SUP boards I kept are rounded pins.  At 1.2 guild factor (I weigh ~180lbs), I dare say that the RNB turns faster than my performance shaped 8'10 Surrator even with its rocker and rounded pin.  That said, these tomo and hybrid tomo shapes like the Hypernut and RNB work best when sized right for the user and they like top to bottom surfing from the tail.

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »
I know, I know. You all get to say "told ya so", haha. ;D I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to own a brand new Infinity board at a discounted price so I jumped on it. I'll take it out a few more times and see if I can make it work. Again, I do love the build quality, stability, and length... just didn't love the volume and the tail, but I recognize that the tail works well IF the board is sized properly to the rider. Maybe I will like it on smaller waves tho... we shall see.

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 09:45:36 PM »
I was in the Infinty shop today and asked what was up with the new PPVC"+". Answer: it's generally the same construction as the former PPVC sans "+" , but they moved production back to "the Vietnam factory" ( I assume Kinetic?

It looks like a good construction and is totally acceptable in the weight department. 

I was there to rent a board, then went down to San O and had a great day  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal