Author Topic: Light Wind Equipment  (Read 2167 times)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Light Wind Equipment
« on: October 26, 2021, 09:41:57 PM »
I have learned a lot through this forum so thank you for the posts and tips. Being inland in the Spokane, Washington area as well as being confined to sports as a weekend warrior and after about a year on the water winging I think I’ve dialed in a great light wind set up.
1) 6 m F one strike. Went from 6 m Ozone and 9 m Gong. The 6 m f one CWC has great low end power and can handle winds in the mid 20’s.
2) Harness. I use an NSI and there are several out there to use. Even having come from zero wind background, I used it on my first attempts both strong and weak side. It saves my shoulders and allows a better angle upwind. Last weekend I learned to use it in the twisted or toeside stance. Love it!
3) Axis 1150/460 (many other can work) with a short fuselage and went from a 75 cm mast to 90 cm mast (love the 90 cm for higher winds).
4) Board. I went for a 5’6” to a 5’3” HIPE to a custom 6’2” Kings Paddle Sports flat back, steep rails, and smooth bottom. The board is balanced so well it carves better than the other boards which I found as a bonus! I was also able to sup foil surf SanO picking it up in San Diego a week ago and was able to get into waves out front, fence line, sunrise, and even Nukes.

Have others found the harness allows the rider to use a larger wing because it can handle the gusts and power better as well? Last weekend was a break through weekend with winds at 17-18 mph gusting to the low 30’s and I was loving it with the 6 m CWC and harness…

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Light Wind Equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 09:43:52 PM »
Some pictures of the tracks with less meatballs in the spaghetti 😂

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 10:03:06 AM »
I consider the harness an absolute requirement with the 6M CWC going upwind. The wing has a lot of torque, and I always want to have plenty of beans left in the limited capacity of my screwed-up shoulders for the downwind leg, which is why I do all that upwind running in the first place. It also moves the effort point from my shoulders to my waist, which means gusts accelerate the board instead of trying to pull me off or make me and the board stand up. The wing gets a lot more stable as well, and I generally one hand it, using my back hand to raise or lower the tail of the wing to make it tuck in closer and close the gap (raising the tail) to get through the lulls, or push away from the board (lower the tail) to dump some of the gusts. The CWC is so stable I rarely put my front hand back on the fake boom. I could eat a sandwich cruising up to the hatchery and beyond. For me, the 1150/390 is the perfect partner for the 6M. The 999/400 is a bit too frantic. I find myself HODLing (hanging on for dear life).
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 08:59:33 PM »
I consider the harness an absolute requirement with the 6M CWC going upwind. The wing has a lot of torque, and I always want to have plenty of beans left in the limited capacity of my screwed-up shoulders for the downwind leg, which is why I do all that upwind running in the first place. It also moves the effort point from my shoulders to my waist, which means gusts accelerate the board instead of trying to pull me off or make me and the board stand up. The wing gets a lot more stable as well, and I generally one hand it, using my back hand to raise or lower the tail of the wing to make it tuck in closer and close the gap (raising the tail) to get through the lulls, or push away from the board (lower the tail) to dump some of the gusts. The CWC is so stable I rarely put my front hand back on the fake boom. I could eat a sandwich cruising up to the hatchery and beyond. For me, the 1150/390 is the perfect partner for the 6M. The 999/400 is a bit too frantic. I find myself HODLing (hanging on for dear life).

Just ordered the 390 for winging. Thanks Pono!!

I am finding the NSI belt rides fairly high up to my mid section. Maybe not the worst thing in the world being 6’1” tall so my arms are extended. If I tighten it more my kidneys, liver, and stomach will be in a ball. Thoughts?

FedorBOS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 10:47:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing Sam. I impulse bought a Gong 9, and it showed up today... the things is a MONSTER. I'm excited to give it a go. Not that useful this time of year, but summer in New England is almost dead when it comes to wind, so hoping it will let me squeak out a few days during the dry times.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 08:31:09 PM »
You’ll love the 9m Gong! I really utilized the harness with it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal