Author Topic: Axis Tuttle Doo-Dad Fitting  (Read 2511 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Axis Tuttle Doo-Dad Fitting
« on: October 21, 2021, 09:24:41 PM »
The AXIS foil system for use with Aluminum Mast and Tuttle Box requires 2 adapters:

1) A male Tuttle insert that has a post

2) A streamlined Base with FLAT bottom

When the male Tuttle is fully inserted into my current board the TOP of the adapter sits ~ 1/8" below the Carbon bottom of the board.  IF I were to tighten the Male Adapter all the way to the Mast Base.

The Tuttle Inserted into the board looks like this WITHOUT the Mast Adapter

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Tuttle Doo-Dad Fitting
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:26:58 PM »
When the Tuttle base is tighten and the mast adapter attached there is a GAP of ~ `1/8 inch as shown.

I will likely just shim this spacing.  Alternately the Mast will fit directly on the Tuttle insert without the mast adapter.  I suspect there would be stress and the adapter was designed to distribute the load.   But . . . . .

IF I JUST Tighten the adapter to the Tuttle base the Tuttle would NOT be fully inserted into the Tuttle Box.  This would be BAD since the majority of the Tuttle base strength comes from the fluted design , and TIGHT fit of the Tuttle Base into the Tuttle Box. 

Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 09:30:16 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:27:35 PM »
The parts shown separately look like this.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:00:20 PM »
if you shim it, use metal shimstock and cut to fit.  If you use plastic shimstock it probably won't stay tight and won't be stiff

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 04:43:31 AM »
What you’re dealing with is the flaw in the tuttle box for foiling. Or so I thought at one time.

Every brand adding “flanges” to a tuttle has this issue. Slingshot carbon tuttle with flanges. The Horue with a front tab. There are others, just can’t think of them at the moment.

My thought, when those “flanged” tuttle’s first appeared 4 years ago was, WTF. The tuttle cannot ever fit as designed. It’s either going to seat tight on the front and rear tapered faces, or the top plate face, not BOTH and never will. No ability to allow for manufacturing tolerances.

So, with no outrage of failures everywhere, I can assume seating on the top plate and not seating on the front and rear tapered face perfectly, must work, and may work better.

Another thought. Your base may be meant to have a rubber pad glued on. Many plates today have rubber pads to get a better fit. Again, we need to allow for manufacturing inconsistencies in flatness of the board mounting face.

As to your board, it’s the carbon layers added over your tuttle box that make the head not sit flush.

If it were mine, I’d glue a firm rubber pad on the bottom of the base plate.

To make you feel better….there are crazy people sticking shims on the tapered faces at the front or rear to change the foil angle!  Yikes, asking for a failure. Yet, we don’t hear about failures from doing that.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 04:55:40 AM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 08:03:12 PM »
DW--yup. They work. Not as Herr Tuttle intended, but it still works. I farted around with this issue for hours, making various kinds of shims to ensure the doohickey was tightly Tuttled. I wound up with an aluminum plate that took up the distance between the dookickey and the flange leaving the dingus tight in the Tuttle orifice and the flange snug against the board. Then I gave the wing a good shake and it wobbled all over the place. So I took it out my carefully made shim and just bolted the flange tightly into the doohickey through the Tuttle holes, and it was rock solid. Problem solved. Just stick it together and don't worry about it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 03:46:34 PM »
Beasho, Missing your GoFoil set up yet?   ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal