Author Topic: Jumbo Foil Mount Boxes  (Read 9682 times)

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Jumbo Foil Mount Boxes
« on: October 19, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »
Hi,
I am helping to fix a SUP FOIL board. We wanted to install the new longer track boxes.
I have two choices
1. 15" long  Bahne box for $18.00 each https://fiberglasssource.com/collections/long-board-boxes/products/bahne-longboard-fin-box-15-black
or
Chinook's new 40.5 cm = 16" long box for $32.00 each they offer a 10" box for $18.90 so I guess the $32 is for one box.
https://chinooksailing.com/collections/board-building-part-accessories/products/foil-box

I was planning on the "DW" install method of adding foam and a carbon fiber wrap so the boxes would extend to the deck of the board, like a tuttle box installation. I was thinking of 2 layers of carbon for the box wrap. Would it help to add a innegra layer on the box wrap?
Is the Bahne box a quality box? I understand the chinook is the best box but wow!! $$$$

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jumbo Foil Mount Boxes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 09:47:57 PM »
Really, you're going to make modifications to a foilboard and you're considering going for the cheaper box?

You already know the answer to this question.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 09:59:15 AM »
I guess to rephrase - are their known problems with the Bahne Box design or construction? Is it a Toyota, not the Lamborghini of the foil box box world.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 10:59:22 AM »
Although fine for surfboard fins, some "Bahne" boxes are actually glued together.  While perhaps not comparable to Spam or Bologna, Bahne boxes are likely more processed Prozzutini than a genuine Prosciutto.  As the Boars Head guy says, compromise elsewhere...

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 11:43:13 AM »
Anyone got a take on the weight of one of those Chinook boxes?

It says "Total Weight of 1 Unit = 23g" on their website, but I find it really hard to imagine one of those weighing less than an ounce (0.811oz), when the regular 10" Futures boxes weigh about 3-4oz a piece if my memory of their feel serve me correctly.  :-\
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 03:13:28 PM »
I guess to rephrase - are their known problems with the Bahne Box design or construction? Is it a Toyota, not the Lamborghini of the foil box box world.

Yes, they are two piece construction that split and leak. One piece is the only safe box.

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 04:03:41 PM »
Thanks for the info that the box is 2 pieces - so it is like the sausage of fin boxes---

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 04:37:47 PM »
Anyone got a take on the weight of one of those Chinook boxes?

It says "Total Weight of 1 Unit = 23g" on their website, but I find it really hard to imagine one of those weighing less than an ounce (0.811oz), when the regular 10" Futures boxes weigh about 3-4oz a piece if my memory of their feel serve me correctly.  :-\

The 15" Bahne box is 7.6oz (216g) for reference so yeah I would find it hard to  believe as well. Probably a typo, maybe 230g?

So 2x16" are about 0.5Kg or 1lbs, now add the hd foam and carbon wrap top to bottom, what's the estimated weight for this setup?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 04:47:25 PM by burchas »
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 07:24:13 PM »
I opted for 10" boxes after I looked at the weight of the 16". Get them in the right place and 10" is more than enough. But I looked at the 16" chinook boxes a few days ago. They look bulletproof.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 08:08:36 PM »
The 15" Bahne box is 7.6oz (216g) for reference so yeah I would find it hard to  believe as well. Probably a typo, maybe 230g?
Thanks! Yeah, that makes a lot more sense, and would be more in the area I had thought.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 04:16:14 PM »
PonoBill- how did you install you last set of foil tracks?

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 04:44:32 PM »
it looks like the 16" boxes are a different design than the 10" (maybe lighter)?

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 05:41:34 PM »
Roberts Composites posted this simple rear entry finbox

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXB3uijP5LH/

He didn't reply with answers to some  good questions though.

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 10:21:50 AM »
I'm going through this now. The 10" and the 16" boxes weigh the same (says the website). I ordered the 16" ones but can't think of a good way to install them. I'm in 1lb EPS so I want to go through the whole board with 5lb diviycell (already ordered). FYI, they are sold individually.

However, the box fails I've seen photos of all fail because the box doesn't adhere to the high density foam, or the high density foam rips from the low density foam.

The best method seems to be DW's method of making two "tuttle boxes" out of the tracks by gluing them to divinycell the same dimensions as the box and wrapping in carbon fiber to create two strong boxes that extend through to the deck skin.

He says it won't work on the 16" boxes, which makes some sense. The carbon sucks onto the bumps on the 10" box, which are in line with the carbon. The 16" boxes would be more secure with the carbon, but just from the carbon wrapping over the top edge - there wouldn't be much bonding to the box itself in line with the load.

I'm at a loss with the 16" boxes and just ordered the 10" ones to use the DW method. Which is a shame, I'd like to use the 16" boxes because I'm SICK of spending $1,800 on boards and not having enough room to move my mast back (Axis ART and Mike's lab foils and F-One and Fanatic boards). 

Anyone know a foolproof and light-ish way to mount the 16" ones into divinycell?

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 10:56:31 AM »
I think someone was using 4 chinook boxes with keyhole on the ends.  They would cut the ends off and align the boxes so the bolts could travel the full length.  I think they set them in a pvc cassette, or Dwight's method.

I have those 16" boxes in hand and can't think of a good way to install them either, and the keyhole in the middle creates dead zones where the nuts can't be tightened.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal