Author Topic: Hollow boards  (Read 5715 times)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hollow boards
« on: February 24, 2022, 11:16:54 PM »
Maybe this tech could be applied to foilboard nose&tail areas, with the goal of reducing swing weight.Stance area and foilbox would need to be solid i think.

www.blacksands-surfboards.com

www.wyvesurf.com

Also interesting are Patrik AirInside boards:

www.patrik-windsurf.com

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hollow boards
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 01:52:06 AM »
Love the idea. Wondering how they get the skin to not be flat between/over the honeycombs.

I'd way rather build this way if I could.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 03:45:27 AM »
Not sure,could be they vacuum bag over a male mold with a demolding layer and then cutin halves and epoxy to the 3d skeleton?.
Just guessing.

I asked the Wyve guys about the glass layup:
"We are using from 2 to 3 layers of fiber on the top, depending on the boards and 2 layers on the bottom"

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 09:22:13 AM »
I have been using a hot wire gouge to hollow out chambers throughout my 2 lb EPS shaped blanks.  Generally able to take approx 1 lb of foam out of board while being careful to not take foam from under foot placement/kneeling area or track box area.  Chambers are 3-4" wide with 1-1.5 " walls between and 1-1.5" between hollowed area and both hull and deck. I do this by cutting my finished shape into 3 longitudinal lengths( Left, Right, Center)  Then i make matching chambers between the lengths .  I also makes holes between chambers so air can be blown in on front left vent, travels rearward down length of left side, crosses to right side at rear of board, travels up right side, exits at front right vent(in case it needs drying out I can hook up an aquarium pump and let it go.)  I then gorilla glue it all back together.   1 lb more than makes up for the weight of all the inserts and then some.  decreases swing wei8ght quite a bit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 10:05:55 AM »
Mark Raaphorst has been building molded hollow boards for many years, as anyone with a molded Maui SIC board knows. When he started building foil boards he decided to make a hollow molded one. Unfortunately building a good mold is an enormous PITA, and making boards in it is not a quick process. He's stopped doing it, and the mold is now somewhere in SoCal being used for some SIC R&D project. I've got a rejected one that I'm turning into my DIY Foil Drive project. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to go in that direction. But I love the idea of a 3D printed skeleton. That could be tuned in ways foam never will be. The print would take many hours to make (30? 40?) and will have a relatively high rejection rate, so the cost will be high. While the machine can run unattended, building one board ties the machine up a looong time. Yes, you could have a print farm doing it, but machines are not cheap.

But I did fool around with the idea of honeycombing the nose of boards after I saw Bill Foote do it to a 14' Maliko board that (as I recall) he was making for Admin. He cut round holes. My idea was to follow the design a few million years of evolution developed and do actual honeycombs. I made a hexagonal heated cutter and poked holes in EPS. That's as far as I got. If I were going to do a sandwich or just a board with a PVC layer I'd probably dust the cutter off (if I can find it) and poke holes anywhere I wasn't going to stand, though the weight saving would be fairly trivial. The difference between a block of 1 pound EPS and one with holes in it is pretty small. Using a heated cutter has the advantage (maybe) of creating a higher density wall along the edges of the cut. It makes the EPS flex kind of funny.

All that work makes more sense for heavier materials. The hollow balsa Dave Brewer gun hanging on the wall at Ponohouse uses the same construction method SUPeter describes. I watched it being built over the 3 or so weeks it took to make it. It's beyond beautiful. I stare at it every day and dream of riding it. But I paid silly money for it twenty years ago, I shudder to think what it would cost today.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 10:40:58 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 03:36:25 PM »
Aviso makes hollow surfboards and kite boards- check out the kite board footstrap detail, they have a track system for the footstrap! In a video they talk of the problems with the plastic fin boxes and making the hollow boards. It looks like they use prepreg carbon a bladder and molds to make the boards.

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 03:36:59 PM »
forgot to  post the link ---   http://www.avisosurf.com/

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 04:48:57 PM »
Hey Pono,

Would you mind posting a pic of your balsa Brewer.  I would love to see that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 05:38:43 PM »
Sure:
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2022, 07:19:31 PM »
If you double click on the image it will come up in full resolution. I regret that I didn't ride this board when I still could have popped to my feet. These days my pop-up is a wobble-up that takes way too long. Any wave worthy of this board would be bouncing me along the bottom by the time I got anywhere near standing.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 07:26:55 PM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2022, 07:25:36 PM »
Interestingly enough, there are now 3d printers at the hobby level that can print infinitely long parts--the print bed is a conveyor belt, the only limits are the X and Z axis, and those can be pretty big. When I saw DontSink's post about the black sand boards the first thing I thought was "you've GOT to buy a conveyor bed printer." But NO!!!

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 07:36:04 PM »
Thank you,

That is beautiful.  I have a 7'6 red Dick Brewer gun that some guy was just trying to get rid of.  I think it was his son that I met and verified it was a board he actually shaped.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal