Author Topic: Nixy Montery G4 iSUP for beginner  (Read 4423 times)

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Nixy Montery G4 iSUP for beginner
« on: October 14, 2021, 01:38:19 PM »
I came across the Nixy Monterey https://www.nixysports.com/monterey-touring-inflatable-paddle-board and didn't find any of the ususal paid reviews on website or discussion on forums. I assume it is a new board that is not reviewed yet. Other Nixy boards seem to receive good reviews. Does anyone have knowledge of that or have an otherwise qualified opinion?
What I like:
- dual air chamber
- modern dropstitch with carbon rail and light weight. Not all inexpensive boards have the newer dropstitch.
- US-fin box and all fins removable
- Actually useful accessories like carbon paddel and triple-action pump. Most other packages have accessories one has to replace soon
- seems to be a good value it being direct-sale

I want to use it as a SUP, but also want to add a kayak seat. I have some on the kayaking experience on the Madison, Wi waters with my Sea Eagle 370 https://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks/SE370. That is calmer water, but sometimes I get caught in the wind. I weigh 175# and am 5'11". i like to do 4-6 hour day round-trips. My only SUP experience is 1-hour rental and I took my 9yo kid with me. so not a lot. but I will like the option to change between standing and sitting. I plan to add an actual kayak seat and bring real kayak paddles with me. I may take my kid with me on medium tours.

The Monterey seems wide enough at 34" for beginners. But I'm curious how fast it could go and how well it track compared to the SE 370. I also looked at 12'6"x 30" touring type iSUPs. My favorite was the Sea Eagle Needlnose 126 https://www.seaeagle.com/NeedleNoseSUPs/NN126 and also would use that with kayak seat. But I fear that may be a bit too unstable for a beginner. That also may not work well taking my kid. the NN 126 also seems a bit dated with heavier construction and glued fins. But it would be faster and track better.

I realize i may buy an iSUP now, and another one later once i have more experience.

Some questions:
- would the 34" wide planing-hull  iSUP be too wide once I learn to use it? I fear I sacrifice too much speed and can't do the vertical strokes (I have average male shoulder width, not wide). Or would a 30" wide displacement hull be OK for a beginner? What about taking my kid with me?
- Am I over-thinking the dual-air chamber? I see that as a great safety feature, but it limits my iSUP choice since this doesn't seem widely used. AFAIK Starboard has some more expensive DC iSUPs, and Aztron (and they seem to be a lower quality)
- any specific advice regarding the Monterey or Nixy in general?

BTW, I haven't figured out how to properly insert links. I can fix that if someone can tell me how. And it took me more than 10 attempts to register and to get approved. This is a very difficult forum to get into :-)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nixy Montery G4 iSUP for beginner
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 05:34:59 PM »
Welcome to the Zone Lurker ;)

I realize i may buy an iSUP now, and another one later once i have more experience.

If you stand by the statement above then I would vote for the Nixy. The package seems nice and the measurements are generous to accommodate your kid without worries.
It is a barge, but I think it would cover well the activities you described.

Though I outgrew it within a month, I stayed with my 12.6x32 for a year or so. I covered some distances on it with a lot of gear on board, sometimes over 20 miles at a time.
I moved to a 12.6x27 and was very comfortable right from the start. Over the years I rode boards all the way under 20" wide but I still come back to a 27" wide for general purpose.

I suspect you're going to go through some transitions during your times on the water so in the meantime get the barge and have fun while considering your next move.
I often say to folks who talk about speed in the context of SUP that they are in the wrong sport. SUPs are slow, it doesn't matter if you're on a 19" or 30" wide board.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 05:40:00 PM by burchas »
in progress...

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 06:33:16 PM »
Thanks for the response. I'm also planning to replace my inflatable kayak (SE 370) since I outgrew that (speed, tracking, comfort on longer tours). So this SUP will be SUP and kayak. That is where speed and tracking came from. On my kayak I did up to 20km over 4.5 hours once and if it wasn't for comfort, could have gone longer. This summer I basically had to cut my trips at 2 hours to stay in the comfort zone. That also is where my requirement for the kayak seat comes from. Basically sit and kayak for an hour, then stand for an hour. My plan is to go out for all day and switch between sitting and standing.

My use is more to cover some ground and not just paddling in circles. So my use case is not the typical SUP case. I realize a SUP won't be faster than a real hard kayak. If this new iSUP will go a bit faster and a bit straighter then the SE 370, I call it a win. Very few inflatable kayaks are really fast or track well.

If we ignore taking passengers, would you recommend a beginner (175#, 5'11") to start with a 12'6"x30"? I don't go out in big waves (small lake) and some sport boat wakes are most likely to kick me off. But if they come, I likely kayak sitting. 

And is there a stability disadvantage to displacement hulls vs. planning hulls for beginners? It seems almost all lower level and beginner SUP use planing hulls.

I do like the idea of 2 air chambers since that gives me some more safety going long distances. The Starbaord DC iSUPs with dual-chamber are 30"minimum width. But they are quite more expensive and don't have D-rings for a seat. I'm surprised that 2-chambers isn't more common on touring iSUP. kayaks have 3 chambers.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 06:14:09 AM »

And is there a stability disadvantage to displacement hulls vs. planning hulls for beginners? It seems almost all lower level and beginner SUP use planing hulls.

Since you talking about iSUP this question is probably irrelevant as most (if not all) inflatable SUPS are flat-bottomed so they are PHs and sitting 'on' the water.

I do like the idea of 2 air chambers since that gives me some more safety going long distances. The Starbaord DC iSUPs with dual-chamber are 30"minimum width. But they are quite more expensive and don't have D-rings for a seat. I'm surprised that 2-chambers isn't more common on touring iSUP. kayaks have 3 chambers.

I own 10 ft Starboard with dual-chamber, it's quiet stiff for inflatable. I also have 14 ft SIC that was not dual-c, I just looked up online and current generation of the same board is D-C. So I guess if you planning to keep it for a while (and use :) )  it's probably way to go. Even if it's more expensive up front, it probably keep resale value better that some cheap models.  D-rings could be added. The previous owner of my SIC iSUP did that. I think kayaks have 3 chambers because of complex shape.

If we ignore taking passengers, would you recommend a beginner (175#, 5'11") to start with a 12'6"x30"? I don't go out in big waves (small lake) and some sport boat wakes are most likely to kick me off. But if they come, I likely kayak sitting. 

Load-wise you would be fine, but don't forget to look into board thickness too. Size wise - you have to look what is more important - i.e  14' will glide much better than 12'6" - so it would be faster and have a better tracking, but they usually not that wide as 12'6 so less stable side to side.

And lastly - I'm a bit skeptical about one board (or rather "flotation device" in this case)  would fit a bill as  1. kayak  2 stand up board.  Are you going to carry a seat ? are you going to carry 2 different paddles.  are you going to leash everything in case of flip over? Are you going to be able to flip the board/yak back with all things attached? are you planning to wear leash when standing? how you going to move around the board if you have char on it ? something to think over. Sometimes less is more. :)

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 07:17:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm using the wrong terms here for hull-types. I mainly see the difference in the nose. Sounds like the center of the iSUP will be planing either way. The Typical touring boats (like Red voyager, Needlenose) seem to slice more through the water with a pointy nose that isn't bowing up. What I call planing are the ones with a round nose (and possibly rear) that lifts up.

Good points about the logistics of using it as kayak and SUP and I need to try out. A wider type sure would make things easier. My original plan was to buy a better inflatable kayak (IK) for next year. But was looking for one I could stand in occasionally to save my hurting body from sitting pain. then i rented an SUP and took my daughter and she liked that. So there was the idea to get a SUP instead so we can do things together. it also is a better swimming platform. Assuming a wide stance, I could stand where the seat is or lightly in front. I also plan to take two actual paddles and not use one of those SUP/kayak conversion paddles since they likely are a bad compromise. All leashed on. Maybe I get a metal seat and can leash to that or so. I don't want to create a tangle mess.
I realize this is more  a beginner idea to use a seat and kayak paddle. And once I use it I will see if I can do 4+ hours standing, or not. But I have the feeling doing 100% standing will be hard for a beginner. I realize an SUP as a kayak will be limited. But many of the inflatable kayaks are very limited to begin with.

As for adding D-rings: I even had asked Starboard and Red about if adding D-Rings voids the warranty and they said it would be fine. But I'm a bit shy to buy an over $1K (or $1.6K in case of Red) and start butchering it with glue :-) . And the iSUP that come with D-rings have them going through the deck pad. For an iSUP not designed with D-Rings I would have to add them next to the padding or even on the rounded side (I assume gluing on the padding wouldn't work well?). I'm also not sure if a factory-D-Ring would just be better for a seat assuming I'm pushing against it.

As for cost, once I'm sure I use it for some time and use it often, I rather buy something good. So if I buy the Monterey now I can use that for years while I learn, or when I go with my daughter. Once I have more SUP knowledge and skill, I may buy a separate longer/thinner iSUP that I use on my own and then have 2.

As of now I assume next summer we will have supply chain issues again. Whatever I buy over winter, I will have to be happy with all summer. After next summer I can re-assess my needs. If it wasn't for the fear of lack of supplies, I'd consider buying a cheap amazon iSUP and try it out for some weeks, and then make a decision and buy a better one of the correct type. But if 2022 is like this year, I would be stuck with a cheap iSUP all summer. Then I have my cheap kayak, and a cheap iSUP and none works really well.

Edit:  and thanks for brining up the Starboard SC experience. Maybe they are bit out of my beginner-need and beginner-budget right now, But I like their dual-chamber touring iSUPs. I won't be far away from the shore, and our lakes are busy with boats that could rescue me. But if I had a leak, I sure would be happy to have spent the money on DC. They advertise it as a stiffening feature, and it may be, but the safety aspect is more important IMHO. It is like airbags in a car. Most of the time and for most people they are wasted money, except that one time when you really want them.....

Edit 2: I found a Starboard Zen DC 14'x32" for $1,100. https://www.poseidonstandup.com/products/2021-starboard-14-0-x-32-x-6-touring-l-zen-dc-inflatable-sup-board. Would that be a better Goldilock for me as a beginner that also wants relatively good speed and tracking? It is without paddle, so add $200. Makes it $1,300 vs. the $900 for the Monterey. I could do the added $400. But it could avoid me having to buy a future 2nd SUP. Some concerns:
- could I (175#/79kg) be too light being close to their lower 70kg limit? It could be too high in the water and more susceptible to cross-wind. I don't turn a lot, so that isn't a big concern.
- it has D-rings on the starboard side for a carry handle. I could replicate that on the port side for my seat idea. Is a DIY D-ring as sturdy as factory applied?
- is 32" width too much for once I'm intermediate? Which such long boat it may not impact speed as much, though. The narrowest double-chamber with the cheaper ZEN construction is 12'6"x 30". In the much more expensive Deluxe it is 14'x30". So the skinniest I can go with DC is 30"anyway and 32"isn't that different.
- Is the cheaper ZEN construction OK, or is the Deluxe really better and worth the money?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:16:29 AM by SUP-Lurker »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 07:56:57 AM »
So if I buy the Monterey now I can use that for years while I learn, or when I go with my daughter. Once I have more SUP knowledge and skill, I may buy a separate longer/thinner iSUP that I use on my own and then have 2.

Sounds like a good plan. 2022 is going to have the same issues regarding supply chain. Many factories are still at 40% capacity and only take limited quantities orders.

A 34" board should build confidence and paddling skills but gets old quickly when you are trying to cover distances efficiently.  Those hybrid beginner solutions are definitely limited as you
pointed out. using a kayak paddle on a 34" wide board is not a good experience either if I'm to go back in time and recall the same experiences on my 12.6x32 board. It took me about
3 rides to ditch the kayak gear. I did use it for few years though as a travel board to play around when traveling, like taking my wife for sight seeing and such. It was perfect for that.

Since we're on the hybrid subject, I thought I'll bring a topic from another thread https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,37650.msg432404/topicseen.html#new

https://youtu.be/PzO4_fDuUuc

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:08:10 AM by burchas »
in progress...

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 08:24:57 AM »
Thanks, for the reply. Yes the seat is really a thing I won't know before trying. I saw that thread about that rowing device and have no idea how it would actually be more efficient for humans compared to kayak or regulars SUP. And one still has to stand. Maybe I just want to sit down for some minutes and relax. I first thought it is an April 1st article :-)

So assuming I want Dual-Chamber (DC), it seems Starbaord's narrowest option is 30" wide. I found a Starboard Zen DC 14'x32" for $1,100. https://www.poseidonstandup.com/products/2021-starboard-14-0-x-32-x-6-touring-l-zen-dc-inflatable-sup-board. With buying a $200 paddle, that would be just $400 over the Monterey. The other options in the cheaper ZEN type is 12'6"x30 and in the more expensive Deluxe 14'x30".
Would that be a better Goldilock for me as a beginner that also wants relatively good speed and tracking? It could avoid me having to buy a future 2nd SUP. Some concerns:
- could I (175#/79kg) be too light being close to their lower 70kg limit? It could be too high in the water and more susceptible to cross-wind. I don't turn a lot, so that isn't a big concern.
- it has D-rings on the starboard side for a carry handle. I could replicate that on the port side for my seat idea. Is a DIY D-ring as sturdy as factory applied?
- is 32" width too much for once I'm intermediate? With such long boat it may not impact speed as much, though. The narrowest double-chamber with the cheaper ZEN construction is 12'6"x 30". In the much more expensive Deluxe it is 14'x30". So the skinniest I can go with DC is 30"anyway and 32"isn't that different.
- Is the cheaper ZEN construction OK, or is the Deluxe really better and worth the money?

Sorry, I still haven't figured out how to insert the links so they don't show in full length.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:35:27 AM by SUP-Lurker »

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 08:25:48 AM »
delete
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:29:03 AM by SUP-Lurker »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 12:48:34 PM »
For your size I believe 32" will be too wide very quickly. 28" would be a stable platform even in rougher conditions with some time on the water.
If you are willing to spend $1300 and you really don't want to buy a 2nd SUP in the near future maybe you should look at a hard board.

A good fit for your use case, much more efficient (and fun) than an iSUP in every aspect. Better suited for your flat water long distance adventures.

Boards like the Waterline from starboard https://sup.star-board.com/paddle-board/hard-paddle-board/waterline/
or the GT-S from JP https://jp-australia.com/p/sup/composite-boards/gt-s/

in progress...

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 12:54:20 PM »
Another alternative: https://sicmaui.com/us_sic_en/bullet-air-glide-14-0-inflatable-105226

14 ft, 28 wide (but it is stable board ), dual chamber, good glide for long distance. And if nothing changed since gen 1  - they had 2 years warranty.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 02:48:58 PM »
Thanks. That looks like a fast boat. Warranty says 2 years through Tahe (I assume that Tahe that also makes the beginner SUPs). But I fear before I look at the sub-30" boats I better get some experience before making a large commitment.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm staying away from the Monterey and focus on more touring oriented boards since I may enjoy them for longer, even if I get wet in the first few attempts. The Monterey is a great package for the mission (exploration with lots of luggage, I assume), but not really what I try to do. BTW, for some reason I assumed it includes the full-carbon paddle. It actually is the hybrid Carbon-fiberglass paddle they sell for $95. Still a good deal, though.

The touring iSUP may not be ideal for taking my kid. But when I take her we swim anyway, so falling off is less of an issue. I also can keep my SE 370 kayak for next summer to paddle with her. Or for just playing around i could buy a separate Amazon iSUP, or rent. But taking her out of the equation gives me a more mission-driven iSUP for the long haul.

So I'm looking for something in the 12'6"x30 or similar to start out. I also would consider the above Starbaord 14'x32", unless this is too large boat for me. Is there a " too large"?

Alternatively I could get a cheaper single-chamber iSUP for next year and gain some experience before looking into the 14' long or the sub-30". I found Starbaord Zen SC 12'6"x30" for $800 or a Sea Eagle Needlenose 126 for $650 (with fiber paddle). Main disadvantage of the SE is, it weighs 30# and has glued fins and slide fin vs. the 20 pounds for the Starboard that has US-fin box.
I also found a Sea Eagle Longboard 12'6" for $500 with Al-paddle and seat (I obviously would need to replace that paddle).

Edit: probably best I start a separate thread for a touring iSUP
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 03:37:57 PM by SUP-Lurker »

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 12:54:30 PM »
I received my Monterey G4 and set it up in my living room (Winter is coming). I don't have a comparison to other iSUP. But someone else looking at this may want to know:

- I set it up with the Nixy Comfort Kayak seat. It is a bit elevated and seems comfy.
- I strapped the SUP- and my kayak-paddle to the D-rings. I used some velcro straps with carabiner hooks. From the seat I can mount and dismount the paddles.
- I ordered a D-ring I can thread into the one camera mount in the rear since the D-ring itself is too close to the edge and would keep my kayak paddle in the water.
- I can reach my drybag strapped to the front bungees easily. For the time being I will try to use the drybag as a foot-rest. But I will consider a better footrest solution (once I know how much I paddle kayaking vs. standing).
- The pump is great and a bit better than my triple-action 2-cylinder pump. Among other things the hose is attached to the non-moving part, which is better than having it attached to the up/down moving handle on my old pump
- The manual is very brief and doesn't talk about the inflation sequence for the 2 chambers. I contacted support and they told me to inflate the outer chamber first while the inner valve is open, then inflate the inner chamber
- The bag is good, but it doesn't fit the pump or paddle. So for someone who actually carries the iSUP a long distance, or travels, they may need a larger bag. Not a problem for me, I don't even need a bag since I can park close to the water.
- The leash seems to be good and solid
- The paddle seems good. I can feel the weight of the paddle end, though. So I see why one would like a full-carbon paddle :-) But I'm sure it is fine for me now and way lighter than all other OEM paddles.
- Mine was an open box (for $65 off). But it was packaged like new and there was no trace of prior use.
- Overall quality seems fine. The Pad doesn't line up with the D-rings 100% and there is some overlap. I saw that in a different review also and you only notice it if you pay attention. Not a big deal and this is me being nit-picking.
- The center fin is 9" US-box. The side fins are proprietary. My recommendation would be to make them all US-box. I plan to use the single 9" center fin in deeper water, and the two 5" side fins in shallow water.
- There is a paddle strap on the port side to attach the paddle while carrying. I don't know how well that works, but I'm more concerned that strap will be in the water and ruin hydro-dynamics to some small degree.
- It has tons of attachment options and sure would be a good youtube/fishing/touring iSUP.

Overall I'm happy with it and would buy it again. Support also stated they do sell the plain iSUP without accessories, but stated it isn't really worth to do. I agree, especially when you buy an open box... even when I buy my next iSUP from them, I'm sure I can sell the then unneeded accessories for some good $. So for my next iSUP I really would consider Nixy again if they have a type of iSUP I need.

I can't wait for spring!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 05:27:57 PM »
Congrats! It sounds like you got what you wanted. This should still stay useful if and when you decide to progress to a dedicated touring board. Have fun.
in progress...

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 09:07:38 AM »
Thanks. The decision got easier when I decided my family may end up having 2 iSUP in total. In 1-2 years this Monterey will be for family duty and the new iSUP will be a "motorbike" iSUP for my then advanced skills when I go out alone. Probably in the 28"-30" class

That way I didn't need to find a single iSUP that is good for beginner, advanced, touring and 2-person duty.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM