Author Topic: Beginner Board/Setup for Dockstarts  (Read 4422 times)

brucekirkby

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Beginner Board/Setup for Dockstarts
« on: November 12, 2021, 09:05:47 PM »
Complete beginner to foil, with lots of SUP experience. I'm going to be spending 4 months with my family on windy freshwater lake, near surf, next summer. Like to play around with wing, sup surf, being towed behind boat, and some pumping from dock outside cabin. I'm leaning towards at fairly long, high volume board (7'+, 140l) for learning wing, sup and boat tow. (I'm 6’4, 200lbs) But from reading, I think I'll need a different board for dock starts/pumping . I'm wondering what factors I should consider in board to try and make that steep learning curve as painless as possible? Length? Weight? Volume? What are trade offs?
(If anyone is familiar with Starboard lineup, I was thinking of their 5'6 prone foil board with the 2000 or 2400 ocean foil for pumping on lake.)

Thx

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

brucekirkby

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beginner Board/Setup for Dockstarts
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 07:54:38 AM »
Thanks so much - WaveThief is an unreal resource - much appreciated

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 12:03:40 PM »
Get the smallest lightest board you can possibly find for dockstarting.  Once you learn to master the foil behind a boat on the monster board, you'll eventually be able to use the same tiny board behind the boat.  If you aren't planning on using it for paddle-in surfing, then don't get distracted by larger boards made for paddling in.  You want the lightest shortest board for pumping - it makes a difference for sure.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 09:33:07 PM »
Big board to learn, tiny board to dock start and pump.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal