Author Topic: The Crazy Eddie Problem  (Read 2277 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The Crazy Eddie Problem
« on: October 11, 2021, 09:32:46 AM »
In the classic SciFi book, "A Mote In God's Eye" Jerry Pournelle writes about a character trait called (as I recall) the Crazy Eddie. He's the kind of person that in the middle of a trash removal problem where garbage is choking a city and causing health problems calls for a trash hauler's strike. No, I'm not writing about the governor of Texas, this is about a wingfoiler in Maui.

There's been a growing problem with wingfoilers in the harbor and increasing pressure from the Canoe Clubs, fishermen, and commercial users of the harbor to ban wingfoilers using the harbor. The number of wingfoilers in the harbor has grown shockingly, especially given that it's really a lousy place to wingfoil once you get past doing the walk of shame every time you hit the water.

In the middle of this brewing storm, a tourist wingfoiler did this (from a Facebook post):

There was an incident at Kahului Harbor, Maui today with a wing foiler who said he was from Hood River.  The wing foiler disobeyed the orders from a tugboat in the shipping channel and foiled around barges and between two tugs.  He refused to give way.  We spoke with this person and he was not apologetic or had ownership of doing anything wrong.   This was a total lack of respect and knowledge of the local environment and issues.  Some of you may be aware that the Maui Wing Foiling community is on VERY shaky ground with the canoe clubs and the Kahului Harbormaster at the moment.   
Please pass this information along to anyone thinking of coming to Maui.   We want you to enjoy world-class wind and waves but we also want you to obey the rules of the road so that we can keep enjoying wing foiling here.   And if anyone knows of a person who happens to currently be in Maui riding about a 5'0 Starboard with a blue F-One Strike wing - we would be grateful if you would let him know that he messed up.   Any help in identifying this person is appreciated too.

I could care less who this clown is, and I certainly hope he's not really from Hood River. I'm reposting this here to say--don't be a Crazy Eddie. I occasionally see some remarkably stupid close passes to the barges in the Columbia, which I mentally dismiss as a stupid tourist move but that's probably not true. I've never understood why anyone would do such a thing. A tugboat captain maneuvering a massive barge certainly shouldn't have to pay attention to someone on a water sports craft of any flavor. And no matter what idiotic sea lawyer nonsense someone might claim, they absolutely have the right of way, both in maritime law and by the laws of physics. If you wind up in their path they cannot and will not maneuver to avoid you. Far more important, it's a completely irresponsible thing to do and it can result in regulation or outright banning of this sport, as it almost did with windsurfing back when hordes of beginners choked Hood River. Don't do it here, and for damn sure, don't do it on Maui, though I certainly expect that won't be an issue for long. This Crazy Eddie has almost certainly nailed shut the harbor for anyone with a wing.

edit--I thought I was wrong about the name and changed it to Crazy Charlie. But I looked it up and found I was right in the first place--unusual. Maybe I'm not completely senile.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 10:02:05 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Crazy Eddie Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 09:10:29 PM »
Saw that post. Baffling.

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 03:04:20 PM »
The problem is both a Crazy Eddie and a Crazy Betty. The tourist from hood river (per his report) directly hurts our usage of the harbor. But the problem started when a crazy Betty decided that she didn't like the look of wingers in the harbor. Pulling on her political connections got it banned with no input from anyone.

Please check facebook to see if you know who this person is. Their picture and a name and email written on their board has been posted.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 03:38:08 PM »
In the classic SciFi book, "A Mote In God's Eye" Jerry Pournelle writes about a character trait called (as I recall) the Crazy Eddie. He's the kind of person that in the middle of a trash removal problem where garbage is choking a city and causing health problems calls for a trash hauler's strike. No, I'm not writing about the governor of Texas, this is about a wingfoiler in Maui.

There's been a growing problem with wingfoilers in the harbor and increasing pressure from the Canoe Clubs, fishermen, and commercial users of the harbor to ban wingfoilers using the harbor. The number of wingfoilers in the harbor has grown shockingly, especially given that it's really a lousy place to wingfoil once you get past doing the walk of shame every time you hit the water.

In the middle of this brewing storm, a tourist wingfoiler did this (from a Facebook post):

There was an incident at Kahului Harbor, Maui today with a wing foiler who said he was from Hood River.  The wing foiler disobeyed the orders from a tugboat in the shipping channel and foiled around barges and between two tugs.  He refused to give way.  We spoke with this person and he was not apologetic or had ownership of doing anything wrong.   This was a total lack of respect and knowledge of the local environment and issues.  Some of you may be aware that the Maui Wing Foiling community is on VERY shaky ground with the canoe clubs and the Kahului Harbormaster at the moment.   
Please pass this information along to anyone thinking of coming to Maui.   We want you to enjoy world-class wind and waves but we also want you to obey the rules of the road so that we can keep enjoying wing foiling here.   And if anyone knows of a person who happens to currently be in Maui riding about a 5'0 Starboard with a blue F-One Strike wing - we would be grateful if you would let him know that he messed up.   Any help in identifying this person is appreciated too.

I could care less who this clown is, and I certainly hope he's not really from Hood River. I'm reposting this here to say--don't be a Crazy Eddie. I occasionally see some remarkably stupid close passes to the barges in the Columbia, which I mentally dismiss as a stupid tourist move but that's probably not true. I've never understood why anyone would do such a thing. A tugboat captain maneuvering a massive barge certainly shouldn't have to pay attention to someone on a water sports craft of any flavor. And no matter what idiotic sea lawyer nonsense someone might claim, they absolutely have the right of way, both in maritime law and by the laws of physics. If you wind up in their path they cannot and will not maneuver to avoid you. Far more important, it's a completely irresponsible thing to do and it can result in regulation or outright banning of this sport, as it almost did with windsurfing back when hordes of beginners choked Hood River. Don't do it here, and for damn sure, don't do it on Maui, though I certainly expect that won't be an issue for long. This Crazy Eddie has almost certainly nailed shut the harbor for anyone with a wing.

edit--I thought I was wrong about the name and changed it to Crazy Charlie. But I looked it up and found I was right in the first place--unusual. Maybe I'm not completely senile.
Sooo... it gets worse.  Another foiler went out to get him to come in and a fight ensued, while... Akaku TV was videoing the whole debacle.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 06:03:10 PM »
Sounds like the guy apologized in person to the harbormaster.  Good start.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 08:57:32 PM »
Yeah, and he wasn't from Hood River.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal