Author Topic: Coaching needed...  (Read 2295 times)

seastudent

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Coaching needed...
« on: October 11, 2021, 08:43:25 AM »
I am happily foiling along and look ahead and see a gust coming. I would love to take that energy and accelerate but instead I just climb and have to de-power to avoid a breach, shift my chunky butt, and re-power. I understand why this happens, but I just seem to be reacting rather than anticipating. In a similar fashion when I turn downwind to a broad reach and overrun the waves they push me too high as well.
I have found that usually an instructor or coach can make a simple corrective statement that clicks with me. Any tips would be appreciated.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coaching needed...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 09:47:56 AM »
What foil are you on? Traditional low aspect foils tend to create more lift with added speed and breach easily when over powered. The flatter high aspect stuff just goes faster.

seastudent

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 10:04:57 AM »
I'm on a Naish ha1400.  Naish Hover 110. Doutone echo 6m. 195lbs. wind were 15-25 knots.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 12:47:11 PM »
Sounds like you may need to situate your stance to allow for quick fore/aft weight adjustments.  When I'm riding in dynamic conditions with gusts and downwind gybes through chop, I will always bend my knees and point my toes slightly towards the nose.  This way you can quickly shift weight using knees to the front or rear leg.  Sometimes I see newer foilers riding rather straight legged, which might be easier on the knees (if legs aren't up to the demand) but it will limit how quick you can shift weight and how much you can. 

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

seastudent

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 01:35:50 PM »
You know that sounds right. I think I have some negative transfer from windsurfing. My brain probably wants to load a fin instead of fly a foil.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 03:17:47 PM »
Now that I’m getting to a more intermediate level, I’m trying to bend my knees less and load the foil more (especially carving). So there is some give and take in that regard. Watch Kane de wild for examples of this style riding.

Also if you are getting quick surges that make you breach, check your tail shim situation. Neutralizing the negative lift of the tail can sometimes help (or sliding your mast back 5mm
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

seastudent

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 04:16:48 PM »
Thanks for all your guidance. I have had pretty good success moving the mast fore and aft depending on conditions. Yesterday I had it nearly full aft and I was standing probably 4 inches further foreword as well. It was windy. A 5m would have been great, but I hate a thousand dollar equipment fix if I could be using a more effective technique.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 07:26:38 PM »
This is one of the few places where the right equipment can make the problem go away. There are plenty of things you can do to compensate, certainly getting comfortable with having your feet closer together so you can shift your weight with hip movement rather than leaning. You should also anticipate what the foil is going to do and compensate before the wing starts making slurping noises, or you're up on your tiptoes, dropping into a big swell or wave, and just praying that things work out. But one of the characteristics of a HA wing like the Axis 999 is that it's really hard to make it breach. I ride it higher than I do with any of my other wings and run it right over the top and down the face of hefty, steep Gorge swells and haven't breached it yet. I'm sure I can do it, but it would have to be intentional.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

seastudent

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 10:34:21 AM »
Good to know. Thanks for the input. The learning process is fun if sometimes befuddling.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 12:14:30 PM »
I have had pretty good success moving the mast fore and aft depending on conditions. Yesterday I had it nearly full aft and I was standing probably 4 inches further foreword as well.

This is often the sign of having to big a foil, and big adjustments of mast one way and feet the other creates geometry problems that are nearly impossible to overcome with any technique.  I am a bit heavier than you and 1400 is a big wing for me, hard to keep it in the water when it's nuking.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

seastudent

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 02:34:56 PM »
Seems like a solution is starting to become clear. Thank you.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 08:34:11 PM »
Equipment aside,i would practice shifting the knees.
Moving the back knee forward shifts your weight forward ,think how much range you have from straight to a drop knee stance and everything in between.
Shifting the front knee forward has much less range but a big effect with very  little motion.

Practice when sailing in constant conditions, try porpoising the foil up/down with knee shifts until it becomes intuitive.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal