Author Topic: Can I wing between coats?  (Read 2100 times)

HBsups

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Can I wing between coats?
« on: October 11, 2021, 02:11:22 AM »
So I’m fixing a crack in my foil board….I’m happy that the repair is strong and watertight with a fibreglass coat and then another coat of epoxy resin on top of that. I was thinking maybe one more thin coat of resin, depending on how badly I botch the sanding, before paint and then a clear coat…..but tomorrow is going to be windy and the froth is strong.

So the question is - can I put the board in the (salt) water between epoxy resin coats, or between the resin and the paint coats? ( assuming a solvent clean in between).

I’m assuming the paint and clear coat are mainly for aesthetics and UV protection right?
Cheers for your help….
HB

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Can I wing between coats?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 04:44:52 AM »
You can ride it. You need to sand again before doing a second coat anyway.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 11:37:04 AM »
I do repairs and then foil, surf, the same day. 

BUT I typically ONLY do one coat of Epoxy with a few layers of thin 2oz or 3oz cloth.  Then I cover the whole repair with tight clear packaging tape.

After ~ 2 hours the resin is set up tacky enough to be water tight.  I will just leave the packaging tape over the repair for the next day or 2.  Or indefinitely.  This typically gives a cosmetically appealing finish, is watertight, and does NOT require another coat, or sanding . . . .

HBsups

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 01:58:22 AM »
Thanks for your help - that gives me more confidence.
Beasho, I’m interested in your technique. So the packing tape gives a smooth finish…does it also help with a nice transition from the repaired area to the existing painted area? That’s one of the bits I find difficult with repairs so far. (Maybe I just need to sand more)
Cheers HB

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal