Author Topic: Mast base adaptor plate "holes to slots" does it EXIST?  (Read 2870 times)

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mast base adaptor plate "holes to slots" does it EXIST?
« on: June 25, 2023, 10:28:12 AM »
This is a simple question but I haven't decided what words work best to explain what I'm looking for.

I've been using foils whose mastbase has 8mm SLOTS... so I cash leave the Tnuts in my board and just loosen them enough to slide the mast base on tighten and go.

Have just purchased a foil from a brand who's carbon mastbase ONLY has 8mm HOLES and I'm sure they would frown upon me cutting slots into the base. (ie VOID of warranty etc)

So I really DON'T want to use any of the "quick mount" systems out there... Just want a simple alu plate that I can bolt this carbon mast to... The plate being about a cm  "longer" than the carbon mast base.. And the plate would have 8MM SLOTS so I can continue to mount my foil with EASE. I REALIZE this will effectively lengthen my mast a bit and add weight but it's worth it for the convenience.

Otherwise I'll be on the beach trying NOT to lose my bolts as I'm trying to line up the Tnuts with sand blowing in my eyes every day...really a step BACKWARDS in gear efficiency even though the new foil is a step forward in quality.

I realize I could try going to a local machine shop but the cost to mill out just ONE custom base like this will be crazy high.. There's GOTTA Be someone who's had the same need and some company who already builds this... Right??

Any suggestions HIGHLY appreciated!!

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mast base adaptor plate "holes to slots" does it EXIST?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 11:39:31 AM »
Just cut some foam strips and place them in the bottle of the tracks. Fit the plates to the tracks, the foam will hold the plates in position.
So now the plates will always be where you left them, not quite as quick as slots but you won’t loose them and the plates are held upwards in the tracks so easy to fit the screws.

styleito

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 03:25:54 AM »
I use these:
https://www.mackiteboarding.com/stringfellow-universal-quickset-track-nuts/

It was a little fiddly getting them set exactly but, I've been using them for almost a year and they've never needed readjusting.

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 02:14:20 PM »
Just cut some foam strips and place them in the bottle of the tracks. Fit the plates to the tracks, the foam will hold the plates in position.
So now the plates will always be where you left them, not quite as quick as slots but you won’t loose them and the plates are held upwards in the tracks so easy to fit the screws.
I do the same thing with some cut up pool noodle foam too and wedge in the track box.

FoilColorado

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 08:17:41 AM »
I have a few sets of these, they work great!

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/gong-foil-us-box-stop-set/

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 09:42:18 AM »
Thanx boyz these are all GREAT ideas... BUT none of them allow me to LEAVE my tnuts and connector bolts PERMANENTLY connected with just the necessity to loosen, slide mast base into place, and tighten to RIDE.

My current AXIS mast base is perfect... And that's actually what I was dreaming of SANS the slot that the mast actually sits in.

Just a flat aluminum plate with threaded 8mm holes (like the axis) that I could bolt the NEW CARBON "hole-only" mast base to... Which would have 8mm SLOTS in it just like the AXIS.

obviously it will have to be approx 2 cm LONGER than the carbon base of the new carbon mast base (which is a standard 20 cm long) ... But that's irrelevant. Can't believe this doesn't exist yet anywhere in the market...

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 12:00:15 PM »
Something like that would be of limited appeal as it would make the mast base longer and limit the mast position in the tracks. People already have difficulty with some brands compatibility, and this would just make things harder.

Also, we all strive for the lightest weight possible, adding a plate to save a few seconds setup would be a backwards step.

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 09:25:43 PM »
Yes I've been down that logical path. I just won't /can't ACCEPT it! 🤣Anyone have a mill (or A 3D PRINTER? there are plastics/nylon strong enough for
 4 holes 8mm connection threads?).. and some alu plate wanna make 150 bucks the Easy way?

PM please.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 09:38:07 PM »
I use these:
https://www.mackiteboarding.com/stringfellow-universal-quickset-track-nuts/

It was a little fiddly getting them set exactly but, I've been using them for almost a year and they've never needed readjusting.

Either those stringfellow nuts that will stay exactly where they're supposed to stay. Or some hydrofoil wingnut screws. https://www.customwingscrews.com/

It's really not that big of a deal to drop a screw into a hole. I've had both styles and yes the slotted version is nicer. But the other version isn't that bad.

You could also go to a NoLimitz 3rd party mast.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 03:42:29 PM »
Just get a mast adapter and use your axis mast with the other brand fuse.

https://www.foilparts.com/collections/mast-doodads

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2023, 08:41:55 PM »
Just cut the mast base to turn the holes to slots if that's what you really want. You'll lose a lot of strength, but you'll have what you want.  Warranty? Really? When did that ever stop anyone? I really don't see the problem though--you're talking about something that takes two minutes on the beach per three-hour session. Sounds like you're just a bit irritated that the mast base is different. There are a lot of ways to solve the problem, there are some excellent ideas above. The plate you're talking about is about the worst way I can think of to solve it. I could certainly make that, but I wouldn't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard