Author Topic: l41 bruce wayne Need Help with Volume  (Read 2828 times)

djprecision

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
l41 bruce wayne Need Help with Volume
« on: October 05, 2021, 10:12:45 PM »
getting ready to pull the trigger on custom l41 bruce wayne just wanted some advice with volume in general and if anybody has this board.

Im 5'7 77kg i would say intermediate to above intermediate ..

so far we are at 8'2 x 29.5 x 4.4 which equals 116liters
was thinking of lowering the volume by just a little bit maybe to 110 or 108 just wanted to get some advice from those that ride lower volume boards.

Surf In Southern California / Ventura .

currently I ride
focus sup torpedo 8'5 x 31 x 4.5  137 liters
blue planet fun stick  9'4 x 33 x ?  140 liters

thanks in advance.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: l41 bruce wayne Need Help with Volume
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 05:00:09 AM »
I’m at 83-87kg. I went with a 8.4x31x4.6 which equals 130L
I have lower volume boards already but I felt for this shape and step rails
It will be a better winter board (northeast). More versatile and better pop.

Looks like a decent step down from your Focus without sacrificing too much comfort.

As an intermediate with good fitness level and really good paddling skills I
Like to keep the Guild Factor at 1.4x1.5 to compliment my surfing skills which are nothing to write home about. I think the L41 shape alone will inspire progression.

I don’t think 108L would be hard to manage. 1.3 Guild factor ( 100L in your case) for intermediates Is often suggested here but if you are keeping the other boards maybe not such a bad idea idea.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 05:02:32 AM by burchas »
in progress...

slsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 09:03:45 AM »
I have a bruce wayne and went 1.2 ratio as my small/med wave "performance" option. I'd say the shape is stable for what it is, but this kind of board is going to prioritize wave riding over standing stability. Attached is a pic of it during a recent swell.

For my winter "step up" board I have on order close to 1.4 ratio to account for added length and desire for more paddling speed. I feel like volume is often used as a proxy for stability since the production boards get wider and longer as the volumes go up but in actuality the outline is what gives most of the stability.

I think you would be fine at 110 liters or a little less. 29.5 sounds very doable, I can't say for sure the outline will be stable enough for you and your conditions, it will take some adjustment and more energy/fitness to stand and paddle a smaller shape. Enjoy your new L41 I think these are super fun boards!

djprecision

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 11:19:44 PM »
thanks for the input..

Im not worried about balancing on small boarder I feel like Im pretty athletic and will figure it out. such a hard decision on getting the exact dimensions for a board .

take a little of the width and have it at 29 liters or take a little of the rails on come down to 4.3 or 4.2 to get the liters down a little bit I wanted it at 8 feet at first but to get the volume i wanted would need thicker rails i already have board with thick rails

thanks for the input.

slsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 09:19:36 AM »
The problem is you only have these 2 much bigger boards for a reference. If I had to choose between width and volume I would go lower volume thinner rails every time (assuming reasonable positive float 1.2 and above). This is low hanging fruit, a big increase in surfing without sacrificing that much stability.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 07:59:09 AM »
Let us know how it rides.
I don't have the Bruce Wayne but have several of Kirk's boards [gf=1.2, 1.3, 1.4].  My opinion is unless you intend to use the board in very clean conditions, don't go too small.  A guild factor of 1.5 is perfect for a next step, my riding progressed the fastest at this ratio.
I think you will be happy with 8'2 x 29.5 x 4.4 @ 116liters [gf=1.5].
I have the Fun Stick [gf=1.5 for me] and think it is a really fun board.  But I think you will like the 29.5" width for cleaner conditions.  Kirk knows his boards better than anyone, I would follow his advice and not try to over-egg the omelette.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 08:05:46 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

djprecision

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 10:35:11 PM »
thanks everyone for the replies..
Still waiting for board i think should be ready by the end of this month. I just went with his recommendation told him I wanted board for when it gets overhead or bigger so well see how it goes.

I also have the fun stick. I have had it for years great board just dont take it out as much anymore. glad your liking it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal