Author Topic: Johny walker & Jim Beam got nothing on Heineken  (Read 10960 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Johny walker & Jim Beam got nothing on Heineken
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 07:54:22 AM »
Ok,so back to the Heineken jibe.
One of the mistakes i repeatedly bumped into was not getting the sail completely depowered,at least flat above my head ,before twirling it, Heinie goes way past flat and he pretty much backwinds it over his back right at the carve entry.
I agree that pushing the backhand away is key,but i have not gotten the timing down at all.
If you try to twirl the sail when it is still "driving" even a little bit it tries to dive right in front of your boards nose,not good :).

I tried a couple today and had very similar experience to this. The only vague success ended up being a wonky duck gybe. I just couldn't get the wing flat overhead to bring down to the new side. Think I need more speed and head downwind more before lifting the wing... WIP...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 07:51:12 PM »
Burchas, I feel you. Mine are only good for some fail videos.

I’m curious to hear how these feel. I need to get out in the yard and practice one of these windy afternoons. Nothing like me running in a small semi-circle to finally convince the neighbors I’ve lost it.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 08:18:24 PM »
Nothing like me running in a small semi-circle to finally convince the neighbors I’ve lost it.

I found a workaround, I do it on the beach and boast about the fancy kite I
bought my little one. I even allow a random kid the pleasure of pumping it for credibility.

But seriously, I’m starting to rethink my strategy and maybe spend more
time practicing maneuvers on the beach. it may not be fun but getting banged up sure isn’t.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:21:25 PM by burchas »
in progress...

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 06:14:01 PM »
Alan Cadiz latest Patreon video has a ‘Heineken gybe’ tutorial. Paused the vid to make this post.

Race day tomorrow so I’m frothing!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 06:52:43 AM »
I’m way behind on these videos. Thx for the tip.

If you’re winging, sign up for that. Cheapest and best instruction out there.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2021, 05:32:09 PM »
 I was able to pull it almost every try the last two days. My tip is to ‘check under the wing’ after powering into a gybe (to reduce apparent wind). After looking under the wing, it is super easy to swing it around behind/over your head. Just be ready to snatch that back handle as it comes through powered up!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 03:33:52 AM »
I was able to pull it almost every try the last two days. My tip is to ‘check under the wing’ after powering into a gybe (to reduce apparent wind). After looking under the wing, it is super easy to swing it around behind/over your head. Just be ready to snatch that back handle as it comes through powered up!

Great tip,i actually read it during a rest in the session and then tried it a few minutes ago :)
It works really well,thx!.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2021, 08:01:46 AM »
That’s epic!! :o
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2021, 05:54:41 PM »

"Enter the jibe, raise both hands over your head to the back as you cross 90° back hand let’s go and pushes the strut back over your shoulder. "

Surfcowboy, So is this a 'push' since this back hand has had a grip that faces you?  The push being like a behind the back (of the neck in this case) pass in basketball?   These two pics are that moment, right?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 05:58:21 PM by headmount »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2021, 08:21:21 PM »
HM the palms are actually not facing up. They are down. Imagine grabbing a barbell to do a military press and then taking it over your head onto your shoulders in back (hence VB’s comment.)

I can’t do it on the beach, you need to be moving through a turn but you table top the wing and don’t stop. The strut goes over your head and you push the strut over and back with your back hand as you let go. Sort of like shrugging it over. Release the back hand and your front hand is now behind your shoulder like you’re reared back to throw a ball. But instead of throwing it overhand, you side arm it around which makes your palm now face up. Your other hand comes the other way, meets it and becomes the front hand.

As was said, that hand that’s releasing the front handle now has to cook back before that strut flies away. I don’t know if I can do this but it seems so much more controlled than leaving the wing sort of flapping around which is what I do.

VB are you able to do this at a normal speed or are you cranking the turns like JH?

I’m about to go watch Alan C’s video on it and I’ll post a recap.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2021, 08:28:33 PM »
HM the palms are actually not facing up. They are down. Imagine grabbing a barbell to do a military press and then taking it over your head onto your shoulders in back (hence VB’s comment.)

I can’t do it on the beach, you need to be moving through a turn but you table top the wing and don’t stop. The strut goes over your head and you push the strut over and back with your back hand as you let go. Sort of like shrugging it over. Release the back hand and your front hand is now behind your shoulder like you’re reared back to throw a ball. But instead of throwing it overhand, you side arm it around which makes your palm now face up. Your other hand comes the other way, meets it and becomes the front hand.

As was said, that hand that’s releasing the front handle now has to cook back before that strut flies away. I don’t know if I can do this but it seems so much more controlled than leaving the wing sort of flapping around which is what I do.

VB are you able to do this at a normal speed or are you cranking the turns like JH?

I’m about to go watch Alan C’s video on it and I’ll post a recap.
So that back hand, a la barbell, does a behind the neck pass, like Magic Johnson does in basketball?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2021, 08:50:49 PM »
The strut goes over your head and you push the strut over and back with your back hand as you let go. Sort of like shrugging it over.
Jason Williams Kings

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2021, 09:12:21 PM »
Exactly! The casual toss. That front hand swing around is sweet too. I got close once on the beach running in a 180 like an idiot and was amazed at how fast it was.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2021, 03:57:10 AM »
Surfcowboy, so far I’ve only tried it in lighter 15-20mph conditions. The key for me is powering up into the gybe and if I feel the power drop at the end of that rear arm throttle, I’m comfortable going for the look under and throw around. If I feel a gust hitting, I change course and go standard gybe.   The visibility is so much better with this style gybe!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2021, 12:56:16 PM »
Surfcowboy, so far I’ve only tried it in lighter 15-20mph conditions. The key for me is powering up into the gybe and if I feel the power drop at the end of that rear arm throttle, I’m comfortable going for the look under and throw around. If I feel a gust hitting, I change course and go standard gybe.   The visibility is so much better with this style gybe!
Perfect.  Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal