Author Topic: Johny walker & Jim Beam got nothing on Heineken  (Read 10959 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Johny walker & Jim Beam got nothing on Heineken
« on: October 04, 2021, 08:36:24 PM »
Check out this dude, dangerous alcohol level!!! What under his hood?

https://youtu.be/F88ba_PMCZQ
in progress...

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Johny walker & Jim Beam got nothing on Heineken
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 09:19:50 PM »
I saw that before - it was interesting to see all the fastest are on ozone wasp v2.  He must be on some magical foil - I'm assuming its Mike's Lab

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 09:22:41 PM »
Yes, JH rides Mike’s Lab... and also has a lifetime of sailing experience.

But here’s the deal, take an hour or so (only sorta kidding) to break down his wing handling during tacks and jibes. I’m starting a thread.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 10:05:03 PM »
Ah, what the hell, I’ll hijack this one since his name is on it.

Here’s what I’m seeing. Clay, post your close up videos please. I’m lazy. lol

First his front hand is palm down. I’m goin to change my grip I think just so I can have a chance at doing this move. He never loses control of the wing. He’s moving at lightning speed and so there’s no time for slop.

Enter the jibe, raise both hands over your head to the back as you cross 90° back hand let’s go and pushes the strut back over your shoulder.

After the push, you bring your front hand around and down in front of you, thus pulling the wing around your body. Think throwing a baseball side arm. Your front hand palm is now facing up. Your back hand meets the front and becomes the front hand and the released hand immediately goes back to grab the rear handle.

If you do it without a wing it makes sense. Crazy technique. I’m not sure a mortal could do it but I want to try. It’s an aggressive way to wrangle the wing and it seems to work really well. Completely active and in stark contrast to most other wingers passive slow pass. (Mine too, I tend to miraculously find the handle about 50% of the time.

This move forces the wing in close. Note how he’s basically hugging the wing. When I jibe I’m reaching out what feels like 5 feet to grab that back handle.

He also foot switches and seems to always turn heelside/backside. Interesting. Yeah, I’m a fan lol

I’d love to hear more breakdowns.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 03:08:40 AM »
This one i stole from one of Clay's vids,apologies Clay.
https://youtu.be/YZdw-5kRnTA

Sometimes he footswitches before,sometimes after.It is a super cool,efficient jibe.I have done a couple,the critical bit is the timing of the sail switch plus the usual suspects of keeping the foil carving around etc...
I have not mastered it by any means but i am busy screwing up heelside tacks, i think this jibe is easier in comparison.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 04:28:21 AM »
I definitely want to learn this one.

One way to visualize it is to raise the wing to look downwind while starting the gybe. Then release the back hand and sling the wing around.

I also like the racing gybe he does. I’ve done a few of those and they few great.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 05:52:29 AM »
I definitely want to learn this one.

One way to visualize it is to raise the wing to look downwind while starting the gybe. Then release the back hand and sling the wing around.

I also like the racing gybe he does. I’ve done a few of those and they few great.

But this one we are talking about  is is the  jibe i have always seen him use in race  vids...is there another one?.

The hand movements are very similar to a tack BTW.

https://youtu.be/IpvhuVLPimo

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 12:25:28 PM »
I think I’ve seen him do a variation close to this one (probably in a free riding video):

https://youtu.be/UMsyhXXclCI

Either way, both of these types of gybes come into play when you are on a broad reach with a slalom type downwind gybe where your apparent windspeed drops significantly (or really light winds in general where a normal gybe creates this effect) Think going downwind at 20mph with 17 mph wind. You will backwind and mess up royally with a normal gybe, or you have to hold up the strut away from you before completing the hand pass, which slows you down with the increased drag.

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »
I really like that one too ,i call it the laydown jibe because it resembles a windsurf laydown jibe.
Two weeks ago i got my first 360* on foil by total chance,i was training those laydown jibes and kind of got stuck into the carve.
Happily surprised when i made it all the way around,pretended i did it on purpose of course :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 08:57:47 PM »
99 percent of the maneuvers I make that impress other people are accidental. Even if you stagger around a bit, as long as you don't fall it's a win. I also call that a laydown jibe, and I've managed a few of them. Coincidentally, when I returned to windsurfing a few years ago after ten years of layoff due to multiple rotator cuff injuries, the only planing jibe I could do was a laydown jibe. It was probably the last one I learned. All the rest were ingrained in muscle memory that no longer connected to reality.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 09:04:28 PM »
Ok, ok. But let’s not get off into another lay down jibe thread. Focus up lol.

Is any other winger doing his regular jibe? I say no. It’s fascinating to me and yes, as was said, is very much like a tack. His jibe reminds me of Kane’s tack with that strut push.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 09:44:31 PM »
Ok,so back to the Heineken jibe.
One of the mistakes i repeatedly bumped into was not getting the sail completely depowered,at least flat above my head ,before twirling it, Heinie goes way past flat and he pretty much backwinds it over his back right at the carve entry.
I agree that pushing the backhand away is key,but i have not gotten the timing down at all.
If you try to twirl the sail when it is still "driving" even a little bit it tries to dive right in front of your boards nose,not good :).

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 10:52:08 PM »
I did one on accident. Then tried to do it again and exploded. I'll try again later this week. They do look cool.

The lay down jibe is pretty fun to do and yeah if you don't switch your hands you can just keep carving it into a 360.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 06:31:33 AM »
It’s funny that everyone here has an accident that ends up being a glorious maneuver. Every time I have one of those accidents I get banged up and have nothing to show for. I like to blame the conditions but deep down I know I suck.

In the meantime, some more glorious moves to aspire to.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 06:43:32 AM by burchas »
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 06:53:57 AM »
Here is a picture under the hood.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal