Author Topic: Stinky booties (high top), drying hack  (Read 2412 times)

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stinky booties (high top), drying hack
« on: October 04, 2021, 10:27:13 AM »
This is my current approach for high top booties:
Hang dry, allow for evaporation. 

1) Use scissors to poke a hole every 1/2".  Peel off bottom.  Slide the cup into the ankle cuff of the boot (small side first).  Obviously do not use a lid.
2)  Hang dry (I hang by toes to encourage water to travel to heels).
Benefits: It appears to allow for evaporation.
My previous approach was to fold the ankle booties, then hand dry by toes.  Eventually, the boot would smell and I would pour in a little ammonia.  The ammonia would remove the smell but I am not convinced that it is good for the glue.
p.s. Another approach is to fold the boot inside out.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stinky booties (high top), drying hack
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 12:16:53 PM »
Try forced air through PVC pipes.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 12:44:14 PM »
I have tried a few hacks,but for 50$ you can get this:
https://www.amazon.com/Thermic-Therm-ic-Boot-Dryer/dp/B0764HN35S?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

I use it with a timer countdown  plug,  it works really good where everything else failed.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 12:46:04 PM by Dontsink »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 05:54:49 PM »
I rinse mine with fresh water, pat them dry with a towel, then lay them on their side in front of a fan. After 10 or 12 hours they'll be completely dry.

To remove the stink, I add some water, drop a bar of soap into them, rub it around a bit, and rinse well. After they dry, If they still smell, I hit them with Fabreeze. That cures it completely.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 06:30:11 PM »
A tablespoon or two of Listerine in a sink full of fresh water kills the bacteria that's causing the stink. I used to clean my stinky wetsuits with the solution when I used to wear them. Works well, and the medicinal smell goes away once you're in the water again.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 03:14:57 PM »
I rinse mine with fresh water, pat them dry with a towel, then lay them on their side in front of a fan. After 10 or 12 hours they'll be completely dry.

To remove the stink, I add some water, drop a bar of soap into them, rub it around a bit, and rinse well. After they dry, If they still smell, I hit them with Fabreeze. That cures it completely.

I second this technique. I blast them with a strong fan (Lasko High Velocity X-Blower Utility Fan) right into the opening of the boot until they are bone dry. this is the only way. Then if they stink up I use some stuff that I bought at the surf shop to destiny them. Never tried fabreeze or listerine. but I will when my stuff runs out.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 08:52:26 PM »
Really? Stinky boots are a problem? My entire truck smells a little...  ...personal. Every so often I yank everything out and find the most vicious offender, and it gets some attention to mitigate the miasma. I have an old washer/dryer in my shop that won't seem to die. It washes the seriously skanky stuff along with shop rags, towels, and shop clothes that my wife would toss out the window if I brought them home. A good machine washing eliminates the smell, and then I stick them upside down on PVC pipes until I need them.

Then again, nobody steals sufficiently stinky boots.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 05:56:11 AM »
Throw in swimming pool for few hours, air dry in the sun upside down to drain and dry.
Use and repeat.

Mine always go in a ziplock bag for the ride home so trunk does not smell like a locker room.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 05:51:21 AM »
I usually dry booties on foldable laundry rack, angled with opening down, sole up.   
DryGuy DX Forced Air Boot Dryer get a lot of use during cold season - no heat, just air flow.  I use wetsuit shampoo once in a while.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal