Author Topic: Cracks around my Tracks, what's a guy to do?  (Read 2585 times)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cracks around my Tracks, what's a guy to do?
« on: October 03, 2021, 12:35:06 PM »
I let a guy seat on my board. As I tried he lift efoil. By the time I got back to him he drifted close to shore and apparently hit my foil on the bottom enough to damage my boards tracks at the leading edge.

So I'm not sure how to repair this. If you look you can see that the tracks did likely move some for this to happen so I suspect the strength is comprised.

So my question is do I have to have these tracks replaced to fix it correctly? Or is there a easier way to handle a repair.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cracks around my Tracks, what's a guy to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 12:36:46 PM »
Photos

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 12:38:24 PM »
Photo2

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 12:42:31 PM »
It just the very front 1" or so of each track

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 03:27:54 PM »
Whatever is behind the tracks has compressed, and allowed the tracks to move enough to crack the glassing.

So whatever is behind the tracks needs to be stronger.

Any shortcuts on the repair will have limited life.

You can email me privately for more help once you break into it.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 03:40:04 PM »
Thanks Dwight that's what I was afraid of.

It's a crossover Skip Smith SUP surfboard that I've been winging on from the beginning. I thinking it may just have to be a SUP only board from this point forward.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 03:56:59 PM »
No matter what this needs a major repair. The cracks are certainly leakers. And since you can clearly see the tracks under the glass it appears I can also see nothing but EPS that the tracks were set in. There's no way that will work for long, and any kind of simple repair, like just fixing the cracks, will lead to failure down the road. The only surprise is that the tracks didn't rip out completely.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 05:16:41 PM »
No matter what this needs a major repair. The cracks are certainly leakers. And since you can clearly see the tracks under the glass it appears I can also see nothing but EPS that the tracks were set in. There's no way that will work for long, and any kind of simple repair, like just fixing the cracks, will lead to failure down the road. The only surprise is that the tracks didn't rip out completely.
I'm thinking a simple glass patch will seal it up for paddle surfing. But for me replacing tracks seems like another level of repair.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 08:11:45 PM »
Seal it if you’re not foiling it.

If you’re foiling it you gotta get some HD foam on it. I’ll bet DW has a trick in mind. But that’s not your buddy’s fault. That was just waiting to happen set in EPS like that.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 10:23:07 AM »
I'm thinking a simple glass patch will seal it up for paddle surfing. But for me replacing tracks seems like another level of repair.

I'd probably just jam in one of Blue Planets foil boxes. Not that hard to do and completely bomb proof.

https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/foil-strongbox.html

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 09:37:04 AM »
Seal it if you’re not foiling it.

If you’re foiling it you gotta get some HD foam on it. I’ll bet DW has a trick in mind. But that’s not your buddy’s fault. That was just waiting to happen set in EPS like that.

It was a proto type for the builder and the price was super low i knew the tracks were the week spot when i bought it and for 2 years no issues for the lake use. But your right it was still just a matter of time. for the price a paid $400 to fix it now id still be ahead as it is a nice board. But now it's time for me to move down in size. It really looks like a better SUP surfer than a foil board any way.   So time to get something else.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 09:41:41 AM »

I'd probably just jam in one of Blue Planets foil boxes. Not that hard to do and completely bomb proof.

https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/foil-strongbox.html

Looks like a good way to go to do it right. Also the video with it looks to explain all the steps really good. I kind of want to do the repair but my plate is too full with other projects i need to take care of, but thanks for the link

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal