Author Topic: HELP! Backroom deal worked out to kick foiling out of Kahului Harbor, Maui  (Read 3533 times)

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Aloha fellow foilers,

These disturbing emails came to light on the “coconut wireless” yesterday. Apparently an individual (Mahina Martin) has been reaching out to influential people with false stories about the dangers of foiling in the harbor. Now the harbor manager has a plan in place to kick people out as soon as enough security can be trained up. Appealing to the smart folks on his forum as to how to respond to this as a foiling community.

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Banning recreational users at Kahului Harbor

Aloha Mahina,

Thank you for your email and I apologize for not keeping everyone informed of DOT Harbors’ intentions to still prohibit any type of foil surfing in Kahului Harbor, including Kahului Bay.

Between September 1-30, we have been relegated to only one (1) Harbors roving security guard for all of Piers 1, 2 & 3.  This made it impossible to post extra Harbors security officer in/around the parking lot at the end of Pu’unene Avenue as well as the beach areas where the foil surfers gather together.

We have a new DOT Harbors security contract in place for Allied Universal Security Services to start this Friday, October 1, 2021.  We would need to provide them at least a couple of week to ramp up and train their security officers.

Word has already started to spread that DOT Harbors will prohibit foil surfing as I’ve already received a couple of letters/calls.  We are prepared to post signs in a week or so to inform users of the date in which this prohibition will take effect, and my Harbor Master Notice will be posted on our DOT Harbors website.  Based on our Harbors Administrative Rules, there will be “no in-between”.

Respectfully,

Duane S. S. Kim
Harbors District Manager
DOT Harbors, Maui District

First, I'd like to again mahalo each of you for your interest in our profound concerns regarding conditions at Kahului Harbor involving foilers and windsurfers. I'd also like to thank Representative Hashimoto for giving us an update in August. On behalf of our hui of paddling and fishing representatives, I'm writing to inquire on any progress made regarding our concerns and on our request for assistance in removing foiling and windsurfing activities from Kahului Harbor. The dangers posed by the inundation of foilers and windsurfers continues daily as does the disrespect our people are experiencing.

I'd like to reiterate that our interest is not to accommodate foiling and windsurfing activities in the harbor. The hazards their activities pose in the area and the ever-increasing volume of foilers and windsurfers create unsafe and unsuitable conditions between their use and cargo ships, tug boats, small boaters, paddlers, fishermen, divers and swimmers. Equally, we are reluctant to place the cultural practices related to wa'a and the rights of fishermen secondary to recreational foiling and windsurfing, As we've noted, Kanaha Park is nearby and already has accommodations in place. We are prepared to come forward and provide assistance to your efforts should you need a demonstration of support. We understand that there will likely be opposition to our position and would like you to know that we are committed to bring forward the larger paddling community on Maui and across Hawaii, as well as those from the fishing and boating community should there be a need to.

We look forward to learning more about what progress has been made and if there is a need for us to make a more public stand at this time in support of your efforts. We feel deeply that the situation will continue to escalate and sincerely appreciate your assistance.

Mahalo,

Mahina

« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 02:35:44 AM by Admin »

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Aloha fellow foilers,

These disturbing emails came to light on the “coconut wireless” yesterday. Apparently an individual (Mahina Martin) has been reaching out to influential people with false stories about the dangers of foiling in the harbor. Now the harbor manager has a plan in place to kick people out as soon as enough security can be trained up. Appealing to the smart folks on his forum as to how to respond to this as a foiling community.

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Banning recreational users at Kahului Harbor

Aloha Mahina,

Thank you for your email and I apologize for not keeping everyone informed of DOT Harbors’ intentions to still prohibit any type of foil surfing in Kahului Harbor, including Kahului Bay.

Between September 1-30, we have been relegated to only one (1) Harbors roving security guard for all of Piers 1, 2 & 3.  This made it impossible to post extra Harbors security officer in/around the parking lot at the end of Pu’unene Avenue as well as the beach areas where the foil surfers gather together.

We have a new DOT Harbors security contract in place for Allied Universal Security Services to start this Friday, October 1, 2021.  We would need to provide them at least a couple of week to ramp up and train their security officers.

Word has already started to spread that DOT Harbors will prohibit foil surfing as I’ve already received a couple of letters/calls.  We are prepared to post signs in a week or so to inform users of the date in which this prohibition will take effect, and my Harbor Master Notice will be posted on our DOT Harbors website.  Based on our Harbors Administrative Rules, there will be “no in-between”.

Respectfully,

Duane S. S. Kim
Harbors District Manager
DOT Harbors, Maui District

Aloha Senator Keith-Agaran, Representative Hashimoto, Representative Woodson, Harbor Master Kim -

First, I'd like to again mahalo each of you for your interest in our profound concerns regarding conditions at Kahului Harbor involving foilers and windsurfers. I'd also like to thank Representative Hashimoto for giving us an update in August. On behalf of our hui of paddling and fishing representatives, I'm writing to inquire on any progress made regarding our concerns and on our request for assistance in removing foiling and windsurfing activities from Kahului Harbor. The dangers posed by the inundation of foilers and windsurfers continues daily as does the disrespect our people are experiencing.

I'd like to reiterate that our interest is not to accommodate foiling and windsurfing activities in the harbor. The hazards their activities pose in the area and the ever-increasing volume of foilers and windsurfers create unsafe and unsuitable conditions between their use and cargo ships, tug boats, small boaters, paddlers, fishermen, divers and swimmers. Equally, we are reluctant to place the cultural practices related to wa'a and the rights of fishermen secondary to recreational foiling and windsurfing, As we've noted, Kanaha Park is nearby and already has accommodations in place. We are prepared to come forward and provide assistance to your efforts should you need a demonstration of support. We understand that there will likely be opposition to our position and would like you to know that we are committed to bring forward the larger paddling community on Maui and across Hawaii, as well as those from the fishing and boating community should there be a need to.

We look forward to learning more about what progress has been made and if there is a need for us to make a more public stand at this time in support of your efforts. We feel deeply that the situation will continue to escalate and sincerely appreciate your assistance.

Mahalo,

Mahina
385-1221

Sorry to be reading this. Its kitesurfing Hawaii 2.0... i.e. someone decides they don't like something "new" and thinks they should decide who gets to use the beaches and ocean. From what I read about her, she is going to try and make this a cultural issue so I suggest crafting any statements you make to be culturally sensitive and grounded.

I also suggest getting ahead of this by contacting local representatives and rallying support from the local windsurfing and foiling communities, the shops, the hotels and the tourism authority. Have all the people you know who wing spread the word to call and to pass on the right phone numbers to others that they know.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 02:36:51 AM by Admin »
165lbs
Riding
Jimmy Lewis 4'8 69L Custom
Reedin Superwing and Superwing X
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Regardless of how you feel, please for decency’s sake remove all personal email addresses from this post.

Admin, please edit if they won’t. Doxing someone over a surf dispute is not called for. Now I’ll go read this post.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Good call about the cultural sensitivity. Make sure that locals are well represented. Winging got popular while tourists were locked out and this sport was basically born there. It’s not like a bunch of mainlanders came over with foils.

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Regardless of how you feel, please for decency’s sake remove all personal email addresses from this post.

Admin, please edit if they won’t. Doxing someone over a surf dispute is not called for. Now I’ll go read this post.

I agree, it won't help your cause if she finds out you lister her personal email and phone number.
165lbs
Riding
Jimmy Lewis 4'8 69L Custom
Reedin Superwing and Superwing X
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
There is more to this story. And yes please remove all the emails and phone numbers. I am a little disturbed by  private emails being posted. Everyone needs to tread carefully and respectfully. This is not a simple matter. Hopefully things can be worked out but there are many issues.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Actually all these email addresses and her phone number are legitimately in the public domain.  They should remain unredacted in order to preserve the public record and keep the public informed on who the players are and how to contact them. Doxxing is definitely not cool, but when the info is freely available via FOIA request there's no reason to delete it form another public forum.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
DNS, please post your phone, email, and home address.

The politicians contact info can be gotten but private citizens info is typically redacted. It’s also just polite. It’s a small island. No one hates anyone here. It’s just a disagreement over water toys.

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Agree on the emails, how do I edit them out?

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Agree on the emails, how do I edit them out?

Only the admins can edit posts after 20 minutes or so.     
Support your local shaper

Kawika Nui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Backroom deal worked out to kick foiling out of Kahului Harbor, Maui
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 07:25:56 AM »
There's no "backroom deal" and it's no a matter of someone deciding there's something they don't like.  Read what the DOT actually wrote: "DOT Harbors’ intentions to still prohibit any type of foil surfing in Kahului Harbor, including Kahului Bay."
The key word here is "still."  In other words, the prohibition was already in place; someone got tired of seeing people violate it, and wanted the DOT to enforce existing rules.  You were getting away with it and now you're busted.  That's sad in a way, but it's strange that a rule-breaker should get so morally outraged because some citizen wants to see the rules enforced.

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 02:09:10 PM »
There's no "backroom deal" and it's no a matter of someone deciding there's something they don't like.  Read what the DOT actually wrote: "DOT Harbors’ intentions to still prohibit any type of foil surfing in Kahului Harbor, including Kahului Bay."
The key word here is "still."  In other words, the prohibition was already in place; someone got tired of seeing people violate it, and wanted the DOT to enforce existing rules.  You were getting away with it and now you're busted.  That's sad in a way, but it's strange that a rule-breaker should get so morally outraged because some citizen wants to see the rules enforced.

You might have a point on this. People much smarter than me are looking into the legalities of foiling in the harbor. So far, they find no restrictions against foiling. The part of the harbor that Wing Foiling takes place has two canoe clubs that paddle there throughout the year, it is also the terminal destination of down-wind trips, which includes SUP, OC1 & 2, surf skis, and foilers. There are also groups that do water aerobics there on the weekends. Sailing classes for children take place there. It’s also a place where many novice paddlers practice their skills. A hula halau practices on the grass. On the other end, when the swell in right, is a well known surf break.

Thus, lots of watersports take place in the harbor, and we all follow the same rules, which is to stay within the red markers when commercial shipping  activities are taking place. Wing foilers have been sticking to a self-imposed stricter rule, which is to leave the water when shipping is happening and to not foil when the canoe clubs are practicing.

I’m hoping for civil discussion and it seems folks are trying to get a sit-down with all the stake holders. The current events are taking place with none of the stake holders involved.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 04:45:52 PM »
Yeah that irks me that someone may be trying and collude with politicians to ban specific sports from a harbor, because they may feel their sport has more merit or cultural significance. One Hawaiian canoes, another foils, one has standing, while the other doesn’t?  Isn’t foiling the current evolutionary pinnacle of Watersports spawned by Hawaiians?.  Bring all the stakeholders together and sit down to discuss.

That being said, I’m not a direct stakeholder and just offering a 1000’ observation/opinion.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 05:02:28 PM by VB_Foil »
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal