Author Topic: GoFoil RS Series?  (Read 20571 times)

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoFoil RS Series?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 07:44:18 PM »
yeah im starting tonget frustrated too... :o

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 09:33:28 PM »
yeah im starting tonget frustrated too... :o

NOOOOOO!  You're the GoFoil pink bandit.  I feel your pain but am reluctant to jump ship.

I must admit I am intrigued by the Axis 999 of all the options. 

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 09:30:29 PM »
GoFoil already has a counterpart to that...the PNL185 is a super pumpng machine...also turns  like a fighter jet ;D

but i want to see what all this new toy talk is all abouy...if somebody can get theor hands on one of um please do a comparison with the NLs

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2021, 05:34:37 AM »
GoFoil already has a counterpart to that...the PNL185 is a super pumpng machine...also turns  like a fighter jet ;D

but i want to see what all this new toy talk is all abouy...if somebody can get theor hands on one of um please do a comparison with the NLs

I asked Dommo49 on the Breeze to do a comparison of the 999 to NL160 and here was his answer:

"For me the NL160 is much looser than the 999 in its roll (rail to rail) so is much easier to whip round quick and do fast cutbacks compared to the 999. The 999 is reasonably loose (and I'm finding the tail you use makes a HUGE difference on this foil) but it turns in a very stable carve and is harder to do short, sharp turns. You can carve it hard in total control though so it's not all bad by any means.

The 999 is MUCH easier to pump back out compared to the NL160, probably because it's stall speed is so low, but also because it is so pitch stable it's easier to stay high on the mast - I find as soon as I drop to half mast height on the NL160 it's game over very quickly, but I can recover from that sort of thing super easily on the 999.

The 999 is more efficient/has better glide so can ride smaller/mushier waves easier than the NL160."

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 05:35:51 AM »
Sorry... misunderstood the question.  I thought you were talking about 999 as new toy... now realized you were talking about RS, Steamroller.  Yes.  We all want to know... and GT.

In his video on the Casey Catchup, I believe that James said the RS turns faster and has a lower stall speed than the PNL145.  Seems like an evolution of the PNL.  And Jeremy Riggs said the RS1150 stays up at 7 knots.

That is Maliko 200 territory... what kind of witchcraft is that!?!?  Amazing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 06:18:41 AM by 805StandUp »

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2021, 01:43:18 PM »

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2021, 10:54:30 AM »
You guys need to relax, when they are available for sale I’m sure someone will sell it to you.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2021, 05:01:16 PM »
You guys need to relax, when they are available for sale I’m sure someone will sell it to you.

Forget about buying. None of my dealer friends can get their hands on current stuff as is but they didn't even know about those new wings.
One of them just told me he's getting some new tails. I said, Yay! which? No clew he replies ::). Great way to keep the customer informed.

Holiday season is upon us and people are about to drop serious money. Looks like Axis is going to eat GoFoil's lunch
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2021, 11:26:53 AM »
GoFoil just distributed an email with some more information about the new wings. Still half-ass but something.
More information about the EZ series (entry level) seems like the naming is more inline with the sq cm area of the wing Like the EZ1800, very similar to the Maliko M200
but with the kink at the tip like the rest of the newly released foils.

No real information in those emails though. Nothing about the GT or the RS Series other than sizes which are very similar to the wings being replaced (GL & NL respectively )
in progress...

Wingfoil1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2021, 03:16:14 PM »
I wonder if gofoil has finally adopted numbering system based on area in cm2.

I’ve pretty much given up on gofoil - basically seems unobtainable, zero information available anywhere.  Good for Alex running a lifestyle business, but I think I’ll support the companies which are willing to actually market and sell their gear rather than a fraternity for his Maui bros.

You have hit the nail on the head here.
I learnt with the old Iwa setup and loved it for wing and sup then wanted to upgrade to the GL and new mast, well good luck getting one back in the day, yet all their social media and team riders were showing the NL series but joe public couldn’t get anything.
I would love to go back to GoFoil but I feel like it’s one of those elite clubs you can’t get into without a secret handshake.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2021, 08:54:26 AM »
I'm continually impressed with Gofoil equipment, it's a relatively small company serving a hungry market that grew from nothing almost overnight. I would consider innovating in the face of the kind of demand that existed last summer to be an almost impossible task, but Alex pulls it off and does it well. In part, because he's fully committed, in part, because he clearly understands what he's doing, and in part, because he has a group of loyal followers on Maui that test the heck out of every design and give him immediate feedback. When people complain about Alex's buddies getting wings that aren't available to them what they fail to understand is that those people are Alex's ART, an important element of his development process.

I didn't switch to Axis because I thought the wings were markedly better, I switched because the attachment method was sound from an engineering standpoint and was something I could duplicate. GoFoil's socket design does not make for easy experimentation. A minor part of the reason I helped my brother buy a CA-router was so I could take advantage of his extreme competence in design and woodworking to make wooden plugs that I could turn into molds or one-off wings. While I haven't made even a single prototype wing I planned on making (welcome to ADHD-ville), I"m quite happy with the Axis system in general.

I'm not good enough to actually feel differences between wings from a performance standpoint, I liken it to feeling the difference in fins on a surfboard. You have to be well past the beginner stage to be able to feel much more than "good" vs. "bad". My comments are on the coarser characteristics of wings. 1150 -- gets up in silly light wind, turns OK, glides great. 860 -- requires a lot of speed to get up, turns like crazy, glides like a brick.

Then along came the 999 -- wow, does everything well, really well. Wait...  ...how can that be?

That would have a great comment for this thread. I feel the same. I believe a more conservative product cycle is better for consumer. Leave the R&D for the pros as gofoil does and take
the time to develop a mature product rather than chase the market for the new trends.

GoFoil seem to do many things right but doing terribly on the marketing and consumer education side. I've seen the email they sent their dealers in anticipation of the new products,
what a mess, leaves you with more questions than answers. Imagine how the consumer feels. One look at their website and you'll see what I mean.

I've seen and heard enough to know that these new products are solid but that's not because they made it easy, quite the opposite, I'm lucky to know people in key places to refer to
but most are not.
in progress...

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2021, 06:10:40 PM »
Don’t beat Alex up too bad, if it weren’t for him, we all wouldn’t be here enjoying this awesome sport.  ;)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2021, 06:22:25 PM »
Don’t beat Alex up too bad, if it weren’t for him, we all wouldn’t be here enjoying this awesome sport.  ;)
If you read Zero to One by Peter Thiel you will realize that Alex went from Zero to One.  He got Kai Lenny flying with nothing but a paddle on a chopped up downwind board. 

But then there were others better suited to go from N to N+1.  Similar to what Laird does.  He takes things from Zero to One and lets the others copy and then run with the ball.   

Thank you Alex Aguerra.  5 years and counting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7XupqFOFSg&t=88s
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 06:29:21 PM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2021, 07:19:17 PM »
Definitely true Beasho. Alex pioneered low-speed foiling. I don't think many people thought it could be done. I certainly didn't. The most obvious thing about foiling is that speed is the most important factor, and it takes a lot of power to go fast in water. I've been interested in foils for a long time, but when you do all the math, including how much power a human can put out, the effects of form drag, etc., etc., it's pretty easy to conclude that people can't foil without a kite, a sail, or a tow. Then along comes Kai and he does a downwind run. My conclusion--yeah, if you weigh less than 170, and are a world-class athlete in perfect conditions, then maybe...  ...but for the rest of us, it's not going to happen. then a bunch of my skinny surfing buddies in Maui disappear to Ka'a and they're foiling. And then I'm doing it at 240 pounds. Next, people that are Good athletes, not necessarily worlds class are downwinding. Then winging. All of that was Alex and GoFoil, pushing the buttons. 0 to 1. Then 1 to 1+N takes over.

In water sports, and probably in any sport, the pioneers rarely keep the lead for long. How many windsurfers actually bought a windsurfer(tm)? Certainly not me. By the time I started windsurfing in the early '80s the windsurfer(tm) was outmoded and competitors' gear was far better. Hoyle Schweitzer (Yup, Zane's granddad) got wrapped around the axle suing everyone, and didn't have any way to keep up with the innovation in the sport. When a product goes from one manufacturer, plodding along with no competition, to hundreds doing everything they can to leap ahead, the originators generally get squashed in the stampede. It appears Alex decided not to try to sue his way into dominance (it almost never works unless you truly invented the core tech and patented the shit out of it), and its a good thing he didn't--it's invariably a huge distraction right when you need to really perform. GoFoil is keeping up with the directions the market is heading. That's a significant accomplishment.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 07:34:22 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2021, 08:36:33 PM »
Folks, We are lucky to have options. GoFoil, Axis, Takuma, Signature, and many other great options.

So funny seeing folks talk about the go foil "bro club" and all that.. talk.

Alex kind of kicked this whole deal off(Foiling for the rest of us), not just Laird, Kalama and others. Remember Kai Lenny in 2016 on the SUP downwinder? Remember what he was riding? it was red. and awesome. It had a blue tail and a red tail ONE SCREW FOR EACH. Super simple. Still is.. no shimming needed.

Here is the secret to the GoFoil Bro Club.
#1 Follow James Casey on Instagrunt
#2 Follow Alex A on Instagrunt
#3 When you see a new wing that is not on any website, Call or email MACkiteboarding
800-622-4655
kiteboarder@mackite.com
Ask for Tucker.

He will tell you about the new model names and when he can ship to your door.
Its not that hard fellas.

PS: I have a big GoFoil Sticker on my truck, and um.. I am a GF fanboi. Have you seen James C on the RS downwinding??

PSS: See this post for a flashback..Awesome to see folks like Dwight and the rest of the crew frothing..
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,29628.0.html

All GoFoil whiners just head on back to the Axis thread(s). You know where they are.. :)

-red

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM