Author Topic: 2022 vs 2021 Fanatic Sky Wing Mast Track Changes?  (Read 4608 times)

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
2022 vs 2021 Fanatic Sky Wing Mast Track Changes?
« on: September 21, 2021, 08:19:28 AM »
I'm currently on a 95l 2021 Sky wing. I love most every aspect about the board except for the weight and the mast track placement. For Armstrong foils even with the mast all the way forward and the screws flipped my back leg is getting gassed. For 2022 they mentioned that they moved the mast tracks "slightly" forward. I'm thinking about grabbing the 75l pre-preg version, but am wondering if the I'm going to run into the same issue with not enough forward adjustment.

Has anyone tried the new version with an Armstrong foil and/or compared it to the 2021 version to see where the tracks are?

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: 2022 vs 2021 Fanatic Sky Wing Mast Track Changes?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 08:32:24 AM »
I have come across this issue with several boards, easiest solution is to drop in a second set of tracks.  Yes it ads carrying weight but moving stance forward usually has a noticeable reduction in flying swing weight, and thus the board feels more maneuverable.  Best solution probably go custom or ask in the Armstrong threads...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 05:49:04 PM »
I know that JP, Slingshot and Armstrong have all gone to significantly longer mast tracks to accommodate these issues.  Not sure what Fanatic is doing.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 08:13:49 AM »
Take a look at the long mast tracks on the JP X-Winger talked about in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv7p-uZawnU

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 10:14:30 PM »
Yo, we have a guy here in LA who’s made an adapter that give you a couple more inches forward without hacking your board.

Let me see if he’s ready to sell them. A few of us are using them. (I’ve got one on the way.)

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 07:50:13 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to sell the board and downsize anyway, so I don't really need to go to a ton of trouble installing new tracks. I'm mostly wondering if I should buy the 2022 Fanatic or look further.

Maybe I'll just use this one Till DW starts taking orders again. :D

Foil_Bill

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 06:23:26 AM »
few session in on '22 sky wing, riding armstrong mast all the way forward with mast to board screw flipped for an extra few mm, I could see getting another inch forward could be helpful, I'd be interested in that track adapter SurfCowboy...
virginia beach: 23456

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 07:42:25 AM »
Depending on what foil you use, it's fairly easy to drill and countersink a hole to give you an inch of added forward or back adjustment. The aluminum mast plate for Axis actually has drilled and tapped holes in handy spots. I have no idea why they tap the holes. Some kind of through-bolt system?? I drilled out the threads and countersunk mine but never actually used the added locations.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 07:44:37 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 08:46:45 AM »
few session in on '22 sky wing, riding armstrong mast all the way forward with mast to board screw flipped for an extra few mm, I could see getting another inch forward could be helpful, I'd be interested in that track adapter SurfCowboy...

Good to know. I called Mac and the guy there said they had moved the tracks 1.5" forward, but apparently that wasn't enough. DW is retiring  :'( so I'm probably going to just go custom. Or maybe get an Armstrong.

Foil_Bill

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 11:33:27 AM »

Good to know. I called Mac and the guy there said they had moved the tracks 1.5" forward, but apparently that wasn't enough. DW is retiring  :'( so I'm probably going to just go custom. Or maybe get an Armstrong.

yeah can't go wrong with those new Armstrong boards... they look sick and probably pair better with armstrong foils than any other board out there

Foil_Bill

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 11:34:16 AM »
Depending on what foil you use, it's fairly easy to drill and countersink a hole to give you an inch of added forward or back adjustment. The aluminum mast plate for Axis actually has drilled and tapped holes in handy spots. I have no idea why they tap the holes. Some kind of through-bolt system?? I drilled out the threads and countersunk mine but never actually used the added locations.

could be an idea, appreciate the advice

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal