Author Topic: The ART 999 Thread  (Read 56915 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The ART 999 Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2021, 12:07:18 PM »
When the wind has horsepower, the 999 gets my 210 lbs lifted and flies wonderfully but a day like yesterday was just too light or I was doing something wrong.  The wind was actually perfect and steady but just light, even with my 6M.  So I came in and spotted Pono Bill, who lived up to his name.  He fetched his impact driver and like some race car pit crew we made short work of replacing the 999 with my trusty 1010.  Then I was up immediately, with not even any touch downs.  Amazing how a different wing but with less than an inch difference in wingspan, can generate so much more lift.

Aaron SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2021, 05:53:37 PM »
I was really enjoying the KDMaui 13.5" and its just about the same size, so I guess when I get the angle dialed in it will be sweet.

The Progressives are the thinnest and lowest volume tails you can probably buy right now. Hard to compare to anything else. My calipers found it to be quite a bit thinner than my KDMaui tail.

Probably the 375 would be a better low end match.

Is the new 375 as quick as the 420 ?    (With the 999 front wing)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2021, 03:11:51 AM »

Is the new 375 as quick as the 420 ?    (With the 999 front wing)

I think the 375 is faster.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2021, 05:38:42 PM »
the 380 is faster than the 375

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2021, 11:39:37 PM »
I tried the 999 yesterday, 86 cm carbon mast short fuse 420 rear with a 3m2 wing.
I had a hard time jibing , this must be because of the flex of the the 999 ...
Also when  pumping with the wing flagged I was not in control and had to be very careful not to be too heavy footed.

I switched to the 930 and all was fine.
I will test the 999 again with an alu mast, perhaps the combined flex of the carbon mast and the 999  together with a meter span is just too much(for me @ 85kg)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2021, 11:57:53 PM »
I will test the 999 again with an alu mast, perhaps the combined flex of the carbon mast and the 999  together with a meter span is just too much(for me @ 85kg)

I don't like my carbon masts with the 999. I confess I didn't think of the flexy feeling and reduced turning response to be the combination of wing and mast, I thought it was just all the mast twisting and flexing. It's an almost bizarrely sensitive wing to tuning changes. The tail choices have a huge effect, I think my short fuse is too long for it, and shimming the HA tail wings for a little more positive angle (rear screw) has a profound effect on both getting the foil up and turning.

It also works better for me pushed back further in the tracks. It's pretty much the only wing I have or had that works that way.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 12:00:49 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2021, 05:27:46 AM »
Make sure your mast to fuse connection is tight. I’m not talking about the screws. You want the fuse to mast connection to press on. No wiggle.

Carbon surfaces wear. Everyone has to tune up older carbon parts to keep them tight. It’s very easy to tune up the Axis carbon mast head. A little epoxy on the side face of the head for just a little tightening. A layer of 4 oz fiberglass for more tightening. FYI 4oz fiberglass is .005 inches thick.

Same goes for all brands. GoFoil hex needs repotting. Armstrong needs repotting. Armstrong created the + system to delay the issue. But it will need tuning up eventually. Same with SAB mast head.

Carbon/epoxy matrix wears. A fact of life. Much easier to tune up than a loose aluminum connection.

This stuff matters as we go high performance, more than ever.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2021, 09:16:40 AM »
Make sure your mast to fuse connection is tight. I’m not talking about the screws. You want the fuse to mast connection to press on. No wiggle.

Carbon surfaces wear. Everyone has to tune up older carbon parts to keep them tight. It’s very easy to tune up the Axis carbon mast head. A little epoxy on the side face of the head for just a little tightening. A layer of 4 oz fiberglass for more tightening. FYI 4oz fiberglass is .005 inches thick.

Same goes for all brands. GoFoil hex needs repotting. Armstrong needs repotting. Armstrong created the + system to delay the issue. But it will need tuning up eventually. Same with SAB mast head.

Carbon/epoxy matrix wears. A fact of life. Much easier to tune up than a loose aluminum connection.

This stuff matters as we go high performance, more than ever.
The connection between my carbon mast and my fuse is very very tight.
I have to lean on it with all my weight to get it in.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2021, 06:08:15 PM »
I actually added a layer of 1oz glass to mine, coated the inside of my loosest red fuselage with wax release, and pounded it on. My black fuselage is so tight I have to ease in the screws and then rock it, tightening as I go. I suspect that's not great for the fuselage, but so far, so good.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Alysum

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2021, 05:41:24 AM »
Yeah that's important to have a tight carbon mast head to fuse, I've had to add layers to the head as soon as I got mine.

999 with a short fuse and 420 isn't going to turn great during transitions. I highly recommend the ultra short fuse for the 999, it makes a huge difference. And the progressive stabs even more so, it eliminated the need for me to go crazy short fuse for better turning with the 999  8)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2021, 02:28:59 PM »
Couple of sessions on the 350P (no shim) winging with the 999 / US fuse, and this is the one. Went a bit conservative and ordered the 375P first but quickly realised I could go smaller still. Something a test ride would have avoided, but one wasn't available - hey ho...

Had to move the mast forward 10-15mm or so compared to the 375P, and had it out on pretty big conditions today and it took it all in it's stride, even with my light weight. Plenty of control, with enough manoeuvrability to keep things interesting, and the insane glide we all know about... Wondering whether a 899/799 would have been even more fun, but right now don't really care - stoked with this setup, especially trying to teach myself to downwind properly...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2021, 12:17:29 PM »
I'm really interested to hear your opinion on the 350p with a .5 or 1deg shim.  I found this makes it turn a ton better and better low end pumping - you do have to move it back a little in the boxes.   Beasho didn't love this config because it does make it a bit more pitchy

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2021, 02:36:39 PM »
I'm really interested to hear your opinion on the 350p with a .5 or 1deg shim.  I found this makes it turn a ton better and better low end pumping - you do have to move it back a little in the boxes.   Beasho didn't love this config because it does make it a bit more pitchy

I'll give it a go. I wanted to try and avoid using a shim to keep the glide but would be interesting to experiment, even just to explore alternative set ups. A bit more pitch sensitivity would be a reasonable price to pay for even more manoeuvrability and better pumping.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Wave Chaser

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2021, 10:36:53 AM »
What about 999 ride angle?  I have a board with zero tail rocker, short fuselage, p350 tail wing, and Axis 860 carbon mast.  For me this setup is very stable and I enjoy the even foot pressure at pretty much all speeds.  But it seems to ride a little more nose down than I would prefer.  It doesn't pearl when I touch down or anything like that, but just for comfort I would prefer to have both knees bent at the same angle rather than having my back leg bent more to compensate.  So the solution, I guess, is to either get a board with some tail rocker or shim the mast / board connection.  Since I am still new at this, I am wondering if there are advantages in leaving it alone?

Also, will the ride angle change if I go to a shorter fuse?

This forum is such a great resource.  Many thanks to all!
5'9"
140lbs / 63kg
Axis HPS 830, Ultrashort fuse, P350 tail, 86cm carbon mast, 45l Axis Froth board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2021, 10:55:28 AM »
Foils ride nose low when they lack sufficient counter force. That’s why we have tail wings, to provide counter force. Otherwise we’d nose dive at speed.

It’s up to you the rider, to tune the foil appropriately, via tail wing size, shim, or fuselage length. All three affect counterforce.

The 999 being low drag, it’s easy to tune for a level ride throughout the speed range. Slower foils are more challenging to tune.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal