Author Topic: The ART 999 Thread  (Read 56919 times)

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The ART 999 Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2021, 02:19:35 AM »
Are these backordered on the Axis website?  I placed an order for one last week and I haven't heard a peep - I'm guessing it is backordered, but there is nothing on the site to indicate that as the current state.

And while I'm at it - what rear stabilizers is everyone using (previous posts have the 380, the 420 and the 400HA being the favorites.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2021, 03:29:45 AM »
kdmaui says If you buy, make sure you use the aluminum mast to get the best results

I wonder how stiff the Axis v2 carbon mast is compared to the Armstrong and the lift carbon masts.
And also how stiff it is compared to the Axis v1 carbon mast?

Axis carbon is stiffer than Armstrong and Lift masts. That’s why Axis is heavier.

As to why Kane did not recommended aluminum for Armstrong or Lift.  What’s he going to say, don’t ride those brands because they don’t offer aluminum.

As to what mast to use with Axis….it’s personal taste in the FEEL of the ride. Aluminum is stiff, dead, direct. Carbon feels alive and springs back at you when carving.

Mario_Wings

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2021, 03:56:43 AM »

OK, now I understand all the hype. . . . tried a mates ART999 today.

Once up, it has so little drag that you hardly feel any pressure on your feet. No increase in pressure at speed either. Excellent to windward and carves a turn really nice and stable … fast gybes are a no brainer. Was surprised by how pitch stable it is, changing feet is simple.

It felt comfortable right from when the board came up on the foil. Am impressed.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2021, 04:14:04 AM »
Are these backordered on the Axis website?  I placed an order for one last week and I haven't heard a peep - I'm guessing it is backordered, but there is nothing on the site to indicate that as the current state.

And while I'm at it - what rear stabilizers is everyone using (previous posts have the 380, the 420 and the 400HA being the favorites.

Yes, ART 999 are backordered but it took very little time to get one shipped.  This was last week.  With all the hype, this may have changed.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2021, 06:53:42 AM »
I was doing the Johnny Heineken wing spin jibes yesterday. They really help the jibe when riding 999.

We just have so much speed in the jibe with the 999, convention wing handling applies the brakes a little. Johnnys method avoids this.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2021, 09:18:39 AM »
Got my Axis 999.  Call up Axis headquarters in Vallejo California and they will ship it quickly.  I ordered and received within 1 week.  Next up - Testing.  However I might be missing a screw or two.

Any recommendation on using the Hex provided vs. just going with Stainless Phillips? 

Also note:  All the appendages are quite heavy.  The base mount, the doohicky into fuselage, the Aluminum fuselage is heavy.  Maybe I will not care. 

Contact: Phone: 415-924-9463, Email: info@live2kite.com, Hours: Mon-Friday 9am-6pm, Saturday Closed, Sunday Closed
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:22:29 AM by Beasho »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2021, 11:32:01 AM »
Got my Axis 999.  Call up Axis headquarters in Vallejo California and they will ship it quickly.  I ordered and received within 1 week.  Next up - Testing.  However I might be missing a screw or two.

Any recommendation on using the Hex provided vs. just going with Stainless Phillips? 

Also note:  All the appendages are quite heavy.  The base mount, the doohicky into fuselage, the Aluminum fuselage is heavy.  Maybe I will not care. 

Contact: Phone: 415-924-9463, Email: info@live2kite.com, Hours: Mon-Friday 9am-6pm, Saturday Closed, Sunday Closed
Did I miss it, but what tail did you get for that setup?

As far as the Torx provided, hex, or Phillips...as long as you have the correct size and thread, the top is more just personal preference, and you'll get arguments for and against all of them.

I just happen to use stainless hex/Allen heads in my stuff, simply because that's what my local hardware store carries, and it makes getting new or replacement stuff on the way to or from the beach simple and easy.

Wrt to weight. Yes, the all aluminum mast, fuse, baseplate, and Doodad are obviously noticeable different weight wise on the beach compared to some of the other all carbon foils out there. But once in the water, you don't really notice the weight, but definitely notice just how much stiffer they are than all of the rest of the foil brands on the market.

This stiffness translates into instant response and feedback when turning and/or pumping compared to the flexiness and sloppiness of most/many carbon masts (sans maybe the Cedrus mast that I hear is "just as solid", but have not myself ridden to definitively say so or not ) where you can definitely feel the board move before the wing does in most cases with the carbon masts.

So I too was skeptical of the weight, and poo-pooed Axis for a long time before finally giving in to see what all the fuss was about, and have been hooked ever since. And while I do have an Axis carbon mast at my disposal and like it a lot...recently I'm finding myself still going back to the aluminum, and getting the sense that I'm squeezing just a little more all-around performance out of it compared to the carbon one.

But then again, that could all just be in my head, because I do have some crazy thoughts and feelings living up there on occasion, and it sometimes gets hard to know which one of me is actually riding on any particular day, and liking or hating what.  :o :-[ ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2021, 07:07:58 PM »
Yeah, any screw is fine as long as it's the right diameter, length, and pitch. The two little screws up from are fairly short. the size and length of each is printed on the foil. Just make sure you use anti-seize, preferably TefGel.

Most of the aluminum masts in use are 15mm, and they are ridiculously flexy. The newest GoFoil masts are very stiff carbon but a lot of the carbon masts I've given a little twist to are pretty soft. I have two older Axis carbon masts and they are noticeably more flexy than the aluminum 19mm. Even the 16mm Axis aluminum mast is much stouter than the competing 15mm.

Most of the weight is in the mast and attachments of course. The wing, fuselage and stabilizer will float without the mast. With the mast, they go straight to the bottom. I know this for sure. No, I didn't lose anything, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Project Cedrus is actually how these things should be made. As a hollow box, structurally sound on it's own, with the leading and trailing edges attached as non-structural, aero elements. The same way airplane wings are made. They are fairly thick, strong as hell and fairly light. Not cheap. The 19mm Axis aluminum masts are not ideal in many ways, but they are super stiff, strong, and cheap. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 07:20:07 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2021, 09:13:49 AM »
First ride report:

999 finally arrived this morning, with 82/US/380 tail, and built it up with the shim included. Conditions were about perfect to make my first assessment - in other words, less than perfect but just good enough. Fickle 10 knots gusting to 14-15 occasionally, and quite a bit of cross chop from a sea wall just upwind.

Having read the advice on here, I slammed the mast right back on my Lethal 4'6, and hoped for the best. Getting going needed about the same breeze as my current daily driver, the Gong Fluid LS, which has about the same area and volume, but only 76cm width. As others have said, it's very much a runway take off, needing a gentle front foot - I can be more aggressive with the LS.

Once up, the mast felt like it was in the right place, thankfully not needing an immediate U-turn to adjust. The speed was very familiar to the LS, but the US fuse made itself felt - I wouldn't call it unstable, but definitely sensitive/reactive. Nothing that concerns me at this stage, but will hold judgement until I get it out in more breeze and bigger chop. I normally ride an 85 mast, but the 82 felt shorter than the nominal 3cm difference - almost certainly due to the US fuse, and/or that I was being too careful to keep the long tips under the water.

It goes upwind really really well, and could be imagining it but almost made my Slick feel better - the logic part of my brain would say it's generating more apparent wind by having better upwind angles, but can't prove that one way or the other.

It has very good roll stability, which is a double edged thing. I missed not being able to turn it on a penny, and I was glad of my footstraps to help muscle it about a bit (I'm light, 65kg). I've got a Progressive 400 tail on pre order, so will be looking for that to loosen it up a bit, as an option.

And now onto the main event - the glide! On and on and on... The initial acceleration when you point it downwind was familiar from the LS, but where the LS starts to slow and you need to power up again, the 999 just carries on. It did take me by surprise a little so got a bit out of shape. I didn't really have time to work out a good pump technique, but I'm looking forward to sorting that out.

The transitions felt like my Fluid XXL-S (1750cm2, 96 wide, 2 litre vol) so a slower roll into them, with a cruise through without any concerns of stalling or running out of speed.

The session was cut short as the wind dropped and the tide started to ebb downwind. I tried really hard not to set too high expectations, so it kinda performed as I hoped. The biggest unknown for me was the roll stability, and it's about as I would have guessed - so about the same as my big foil (alternative tail pending!). It doesn't change the game for me, but it's too early to say that I won't love it. I just need some more time to get dialed into it, and work out how to use that amazing glide and efficiency most effectively and what doors it will open... Looking forward to a day of proper downwinding!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2021, 08:23:52 PM »
Yup, it's all about the glide. It takes some getting used to--I'm not really there yet. I haven't yet made a landing on returning to shore where I didn't panic and have to U-turn, bail, throw myself off and pull on the leash, whatever to keep from running hard aground. Just dropping the wing isn't enough, it keeps going.

The other thing that I find very cool with less efficient stabilizers is the ability to just run straight over big swells and never worry about overfoiling. I don't know why that works, it will be interesting to hear how this is with the 380.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2021, 09:59:33 AM »
Is there a clean picture of all these tails anywhere ?

I got the 420 because Lenny said it was “the one”. 

I could drill out my GoFoil tail too and attach it which is nice and flat.  The 18 narrow. 

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2021, 10:57:36 AM »
No wind or waves to big to try the ART999 for the first time. No problem, there's always a dock: www.facebook.com/axisfoilsportugal/videos/595600128231792

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2021, 11:18:12 AM »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2021, 11:18:34 PM »
The one you have is most surely the one you want. It’s the newest high aspect 400 tail. Possibly you’d like the 460. Which is very similar, just wider. The old 400 is old and thick.

Foilgeoff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2021, 11:57:41 PM »
Thanks for the catalogue link, Bill, it also gave me a pointer as to my difficulties getting to grips with the 999. It lists the 999 as being suited for 4.8-6m wing sizes for an 80kg rider, with the 830, 880 and 930 more suited for wing sizes below that.
I’m an 87kg intermediate and it’s just been scary as hell in my three sessions so far in gusty conditions eg today was a 5m day that quickly became a 3.8m day and I could easily have used a 2.8m in between the lulls.   Changing back to the 880 was a lifesaver.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal