Author Topic: The ART 999 Thread  (Read 56659 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The ART 999 Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2021, 06:58:13 AM »
Here is a quick video of the Oahu sessions. This was at Mokes.  I was on the GL210.  The other guy was on a Kujira 1210 and flagging on a small wave.  I did tow foil the Kujira 1210 and found its glide and pumpability impressive better than the GoFoil NL's. 

I would have pulled the trigger on the Kujira but the poor craftsmanship, in-ability to buy modular wings and rave reviews of the ART 999 (and other foils) pushed me towards Axis. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ews1rMMhGqk
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 07:01:07 AM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2021, 07:16:21 AM »
I'm continually impressed with Gofoil equipment, it's a relatively small company serving a hungry market that grew from nothing almost overnight. I would consider innovating in the face of the kind of demand that existed last summer to be an almost impossible task, but Alex pulls it off and does it well. In part, because he's fully committed, in part, because he clearly understands what he's doing, and in part, because he has a group of loyal followers on Maui that test the heck out of every design and give him immediate feedback. When people complain about Alex's buddies getting wings that aren't available to them what they fail to understand is that those people are Alex's ART, an important element of his development process.

I didn't switch to Axis because I thought the wings were markedly better, I switched because the attachment method was sound from an engineering standpoint and was something I could duplicate. GoFoil's socket design does not make for easy experimentation. A minor part of the reason I helped my brother buy a CA-router was so I could take advantage of his extreme competence in design and woodworking to make wooden plugs that I could turn into molds or one-off wings. While I haven't made even a single prototype wing I planned on making (welcome to ADHD-ville), I"m quite happy with the Axis system in general.

I'm not good enough to actually feel differences between wings from a performance standpoint, I liken it to feeling the difference in fins on a surfboard. You have to be well past the beginner stage to be able to feel much more than "good" vs. "bad". My comments are on the coarser characteristics of wings. 1150 -- gets up in silly light wind, turns OK, glides great. 860 -- requires a lot of speed to get up, turns like crazy, glides like a brick.

Then along came the 999 -- wow, does everything well, really well. Wait...  ...how can that be?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 07:20:23 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lakemichiganwingfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2021, 07:35:19 AM »
I keep going back an forth on wether or not to drop gofoil and go with another brand. I have the iwa, kia, and maliko and want to upgrade at some point in time. Everything I hear everyone is switching to Axis. Gofoil looks like they are coming out with a new foil the GT version and it looks like it has impressive glide and pumpability, but if Axis is so much better, may be I should make the switch.
naish s25 hover 75ltr
Cabrinha mantis v2 6.0 wing
cabrinha mantis 4.0
gofoil gt1400 rs1150 FTL 20

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2021, 04:17:33 PM »
Here's a short video of the new Sabfoil 1110 demonstrating how it can be pumped and its glide.  How does the ART 999 compare?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU8-F66I-yQ/

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2021, 08:56:05 AM »
I keep going back an forth on wether or not to drop gofoil and go with another brand. I have the iwa, kia, and maliko and want to upgrade at some point in time. Everything I hear everyone is switching to Axis. Gofoil looks like they are coming out with a new foil the GT version and it looks like it has impressive glide and pumpability, but if Axis is so much better, may be I should make the switch.
Axis, Lift, Armstrong, Takuma, SPG and others are making some amazing stuff right now. Apparently GoFoil is releasing new designs soon (according to the rumor mill).

Try out your friends' foils, as many as you can, before you make a major decision. It is easy to get caught up in the new release of the month. No doubt this Axis 999 is an outstanding foil but wait a few months and there might be a new king of the heap.

Foilgeoff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2021, 11:23:33 PM »
I've used my 999 3 times and my experience of it is that it feels like it has a higher take-off speed than the 880 and it overpowers a lot earlier.
My experience is so different to what I've been reading on the forums that I have to assume that it's me.

What wind ranges are people using the 999 in? Dwight mentioned that his 999 replaced his 980, 880 and 830 but I have to say that an 830 is sounding pretty appealing right now.

Today is a typical example, 12-25 knots earlier in the day so I put the 999 on, increasing to  25-35 later, lots of hills upwind so it's always gusty as hell. The PPC 3.8m  wing and 999 foil were just going bananas and shifting down to the 880 was a huge relief, never mind changing wings.

In terms of set-up, I'm an 87kg early intermediate (I can't jibe) with a 90 litre KT Wing Drifter. I live in Wellington, New Zealand, where the wind tends to be all (a lot of the time) or nothing. If you're going to have a 1-wing quiver then it will be a 4m.
The mast track on the Wing Drifter seems a long way forward. I'm running the carbon mast right at the back of the track, and all three Axis foils (1010, 999, 880) need 2 washers of shim  to reduce front end lift to get a balance between my feet. The  foot straps are on their furthest forward setting.

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2021, 11:46:22 PM »
I feel like it’s efficient and gets to its max fast. Less efficient foils can be “pushed harder” because they need more force to reach their limit but basically that means that you can use less pressure once you’re on foil. That’s my theory anyway… I initially thought it was unstable at its max, but as I’m getting used to it I can maintain higher speeds longer.

I was told by the axis guys that if I wanted faster and better turning to go with the hps 830. I would imagine the glide and pump and efficiency are the trade offs. I think the 10AR wings make sense at this size and lower, above it the maneuverability suffers due to the wingspan. I.e the Armstrong 1125 vs 925 and folks preferring the smaller one for general riding.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2021, 03:10:03 AM »

My experience is so different to what I've been reading on the forums that I have to assume that it's me.

Difficult to know. Sounds like your gear is tuned less than perfect. It gets more important, as we go higher performance.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2021, 07:47:02 AM »
I rode the 999 in marginal wind for on its maiden voyage and had trouble "getting it up". Its a strange and beautiful beast. It immediately got easier once I had decent wind and figured out how to get it up in lighter wind. I don't even really pump the hand wing much. I just know how much pull I need in the wing which translates to board speed which results in liftoff. Foilgeoff, it sounds to me like you are jumping the gun a bit by trying to fly the 999 in shitty wind before you have mastered the gybe. It certainly will not make your learning curve easier. I tell people to stay on slow and lifty foils until you can gybe both ways and ride toeside. I would stick with that 1010 until you have checked those boxes. You will then appreciate all the 999 has.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2021, 10:10:08 AM »
I think the characteristics of the 999 are more stabilizer-dependent than any other wing I've tried. I could very well be wrong, it might just be that my tiny quiver of stabilizers has been the reason I find some wings very hard or unsatisfying to use.

With a 400 stabilizer, the 999 is not easy to get up. I need a lot of board speed, some solid wind, and patience to take off. There's no point in pumping, I need to feel enough pull on the hand wing to get the board up to a steady, fairly high speed, and then I can lift off--gently, smoothly, with no popping up or it stalls and falls. Once I'm up it's fast, smooth, and forgiving, though if you turn it hard enough to pop a tip out it does some funny stuff--like shuddering and twitching. If I drop below some speed I haven't precisely determined yet it falls with a splat.

With a 390 or 340 stabilizer, I can push it in lighter wind. Pumping the wing and board works fine, it tolerates popping up and almost never stalls. Once it's up it's medium fast but I can feel the braking effect, turns really well, tolerates breaching or popping a wingtip well out of the water without doing anything silly, and coasts down to the surface slowly when the speed gets too low.

It's literally a completely different wing. Not just a little bit. The characteristics are diametrically the opposite with the single exception of gliding endlessly until it hits stall speed. I don't think you need to be an advanced intermediate foiler to use and enjoy it--I'm not. I feel like I'm a perpetual intermediate, and I can't get enough of the thing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Foilgeoff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2021, 10:17:42 AM »
Thanks guys, that’s all very helpful. I should have mentioned that I have a 420HA rear.
Cheers

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2021, 10:25:24 AM »
Did we decide what the perfect tail for the 999 is?
I'm running the KDMaui 13.5" at about 3.5deg up and I've been happy.  Hard to say if there might be a better setup

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »
I've been using the kd tail with no shims, been super happy, but wouldn't mind a smaller tail to make it feel a little looser. Using an ultrashort, and will prob try a crazy short.  Had it out in 20-30 wind with double overhead swell last weekend, and it performed great, so long as the swell didn't get too steep. It's my favorite setup for just riding bumps going downwind.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2021, 07:53:15 PM »
If any of you folks have a 390 to try, please do and tell me I'm crazy.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2021, 04:42:09 AM »
Still waiting on my ART 999 to come in but while waiting I was able to get out on the HPS 1050. Wow!  First time on an Axis rig.  The whole set up seems very well put together with very little in the way of form drag.  Using the 1050/420 was such a step up in performance, I sit here wondering how much more of a performance step up the 999 will be.  Being able to hold an enormous amount speed and glide as  I carved into 20-25 kt headwind made on and offside tacks casual and leisurely.  So much more time to get things done.  This 1050 will be a perfect compliment to a high end performer like a 999.  I was just wondering if the 999 will be a good SUP foil.  I know the 1050 will slay. Any body out there SUPing the 999?

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM