Author Topic: The ART 999 Thread  (Read 56924 times)

Mario_Wings

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The ART 999 Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2021, 02:54:48 PM »

It replaces my HPS-980, 880, 830 winging.

It replaced the HPS1050 winging sometimes, but not 100%.

How heavy are you Dwight?

Maybe silly question but would you think your comment applies to an 87kg person?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2021, 04:02:20 PM »

Mario_Wings

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2021, 07:37:20 PM »

I’m 88 kg

wow . . . thought you were about 78kg . . . the vids make you look lighter.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2021, 03:50:07 AM »

I’m 88 kg

wow . . . thought you were about 78kg . . . the vids make you look lighter.

I’m 6’2   tall guys weigh more.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2021, 07:03:04 PM »
Just got my first legit ocean waves on the 999 towing in with the wingding. Holy chit! The glide that thing has makes surfing so sick. I now have a dozen sessions on it. I can't seem to go back to anything else. I am foiling in the future and anything else is history. I have no problem getting it up anymore. I am running it with the crazy short and ultra short and always the 380. I am in West Maui and this sport has completely renewed my view on this side of the island. I launched kites here for as long as I have been coming here and it was always an adventure with the off shore condo rotors and barrier reefs. No problem with the wing. just paddle out to the wind line and send it. The 999 is so damn efficient that it has opened up miles of terrain from the condo. I can jam up to the surf spot 2 miles away in about 7 minutes and tow into reef breaks. After that, its a beautiful downwind run to the condo with rolling ocean swell to luff in. I am FROTHING!!!! Small craft advisory for the next few days with long period swell coming tonight. Sending

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2021, 06:45:52 AM »
I could stand it no more and with the help of DW pushed the 'BUY' button.

I just came back from Hawaii and I have been on GoFoils since day ONE 4 1/2 years ago.  But I had foil envy.

We were at Sunset point in Oahu.  Last year there were just 3 wingers, this year 10.  There were guys would would tack upwind, turn and immediately start gliding on swell 500 yards outside the break.  Just flagging away.  I was on a GoFoil GL210.  No way I could do that. 

Also while we were there the swell period picked up from say 10 seconds to 13 seconds.  On the wing I could NOT keep up with the swell pointing slightly into the wind.  I could turn on a face but then even close to the break waves would get away from me and I would fall off the back and go for the wave behind.

There was a guy on an Axis Wing, and Armstrong NOT suffering from these ailments.  From the various forums I have heard POSITIVE reports from:  DW, PonoBill, Piros and a guy named Frazer Shaw all claiming this wing is a NEW REVOLUTION.

Spoke with Lenny at Liv2Kite and he claims it is the Unicorn wing.  The only wing that people go to after these (Axis) wings is Mikes Lab.

SOLD!
  Full Axis KIT has been ordered.

Reports to come.  But I have dreams of feathering Mavericks swell and 15 mph winds. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 06:52:08 AM by Beasho »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2021, 07:10:05 AM »
I wouldn’t sell the gofoil gear just yet. Really good reviews of new gofoil wings are coming out too.

What axis mast and fuse length did you get?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2021, 08:28:45 AM »
I haven't ridden any wing that compares to the 999---yet. Most manufacturers seem to be extremely reticent to copy other designs, but any manufacturer that isn't looking hard at the 999 would have to be a little nutty. I don't know what makes this thing work like it does, but I'm sure most designers could figure it out.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2021, 08:44:14 AM »

I just came back from Hawaii and I have been on GoFoils since day ONE 4 1/2 years ago.  But I had foil envy.

We were at Sunset point in Oahu.  Last year there were just 3 wingers, this year 10.  There were guys would would tack upwind, turn and immediately start gliding on swell 500 yards outside the break.  Just flagging away.  I was on a GoFoil GL210.  No way I could do that. 

Also while we were there the swell period picked up from say 10 seconds to 13 seconds.  On the wing I could NOT keep up with the swell pointing slightly into the wind.  I could turn on a face but then even close to the break waves would get away from me and I would fall off the back and go for the wave behind.

There was a guy on an Axis Wing, and Armstrong NOT suffering from these ailments.  From the various forums I have heard POSITIVE reports from:  DW, PonoBill, Piros and a guy named Frazer Shaw all claiming this wing is a NEW REVOLUTION.

Thought that was you. Those were a couple fun days. I was on the 999. You should have seen it this last weekend. Next level!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2021, 09:19:32 AM »
So many people, me included, hitting the Buy Now button, there is now a waiting period due to backorder.  Yes, this foil has impressed me in the reviews alone. Having just made what I feel is my new magic foil, I still felt the need to try this one.   As I wait patiently for nirvana to arrive i will have to be satisfied with my latest wing and the HPS1050 that came with my new 'Black series" set up.  Those two wings alone could be the ultimate quiver for my winging fun.  Fingers crossed.

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2021, 09:27:35 AM »

Spoke with Lenny at Liv2Kite and he claims it is the Unicorn wing.  The only wing that people go to after these (Axis) wings is Mikes Lab.

SOLD!
  Full Axis KIT has been ordered.

Reports to come.  But I have dreams of feathering Mavericks swell and 15 mph winds. 

Can confirm, my ART is now my everyday foil. I ordered it the same day it went on their site. I picked up a Mikes Lab 640cm^2 foil for racing and speed runs last week because I wanted a foil that was going to be a challenge and to push speed. Its similar to the axis but just smaller and more efficient so starting it harder so I need to be on the top end of my wing range. Makes my ART feel like a minivan, but the speed is so incredible I don’t want to take it over 25mph without a better leash system/reel leash so soften the crashes. Wave riding is hard due to the speed but I can’t be outrun by any waves, that’s for sure. The mast was 103cm before the tuttle adapter so I’m 1.1m off the water! Others buying new ML wings are on 1000 or 800 cm ML wings for everyday riding with a 10AR.

If an art 899 comes out at 10 AR then it would be 899 width and 792 cm^2. This will also be a popular wing but not for low wind.  Any modular system won’t ever be as smooth as  a single piece foil, but it’s worth staying modular for the ability to swap for prone riding vs normal winging, etc. as well as the future, who knows what will happen! It does seem that around 10AR is the high water mark since most folks will need 800+cm^2 for normal riding and that means the width gets big enough that turning suffers so higher AR isn’t practical. Maybe an 800cm^2 wing at an AR of 12 with 98cm wingspan would be the max.

The 999 is an awesome wing and I’m sticking with it even if a smaller one comes out since it’s just big enough to be my largest foil (barely) and I’d have to replace it with something larger if I sold it. There was no adjustment from my hps 980, just better glide.

Crazy going from an AR of 3.5 to 7.5 to 10 in my wings since I started this spring! Also +2000cm to 1300 to 1000 to 640cm wings, the last two are the only ones I ride now. I would not have expected that!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:34:38 AM by JohnnyTsunami »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2021, 03:34:28 PM »
Thought that was you. Those were a couple fun days. I was on the 999. You should have seen it this last weekend. Next level!

Funny!  There was a guy on an Axis (maybe you), the 'Green Hornet' on Armstrong, who posted a video on Instagram of Ocean Baby, and then Ocean Baby's husband on the Aluula wing.  The Aluula guy was on a Unifoil and also displayed ultimate gliding capability.  Then my business partner on the 6.0 Red Wasp 2.  He too was on a GoFoil GL180 but not gliding like a superhero. 

This shot taken by the Green Hornet (I. Freitas).  I might have had me in the background on my Echo 5.0, or else it was Chris who was also on GoFoil but not complaining like I am/was. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 03:37:11 PM by Beasho »

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2021, 05:01:17 PM »
Beasho good call you won’t regret getting Axis so many options for winging and Supfoiling great foils.Never tried the 999 yet winging but very happy with 980 and 1050 HPS winging at the moment here in NE Brasil.One suggestion I can make for supfoil is the 890 BSC wing just a amazing wing I’m 225 lbs so maybe you might go next step down on BSC series but if you get a chance try one on the Supfoil🙌and you can use it winging on windier days too boot.In good wave energy think the BSC handle better than HA wings horses for coarses of course
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

FoilMad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2021, 02:11:25 AM »
Jeez bit rough Beasho, comparing a 2.5 year old GL release to other brands current models. The NL's were a big upgrade in speed and glide and they themselves are a year old now too.
The GL's were along way ahead of the pack for a long time. It took the Armstrong HS 1250 before they overtook the GL's and caught the NL's but only if you can handle the wing tip breaching issues of the HS series.

Axis have done well with the HPS but were following along behind before.

I do think if you are all about glide it would be worth studying the downwind races and their performances on different brands.

My context is for performance wave riding with a wing, SUP or Prone.

The ART looks clever but 1m wide.
Gofoil RS is the next to release but interestingly they didn't feel the need to go as high aspect as lift, Armstrong and Axis.

I pay full price for my foils unfortunately and am very interested in all brands next releases.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2021, 06:28:07 AM »
Jeez bit rough Beasho, comparing a 2.5 year old GL release to other brands current models. The NL's were a big upgrade in speed and glide and they themselves are a year old now too.
The GL's were along way ahead of the pack for a long time. It took the Armstrong HS 1250 before they overtook the GL's and caught the NL's but only if you can handle the wing tip breaching issues of the HS series. . . . . .

My context is for performance wave riding with a wing, SUP or Prone.

My GoFoil experience has included: Kai, M160, M200, Iwa , GL210, GL140, NL190, NL130 (rocket), M280.  Since May 2017.  My context has been Big Wave Riding SUP Foil.  500+ sessions.  For example when the faces are guaranteed to be 12 feet or more, and my home break is Mavericks, I will rig up my NL130 on a 7' 4" SUP and try to catch waves on the 7 reefs between Mushroom Rock and the Mavericks bowl.  And it works.  But I have NO ONE to talk to or learn from.  I have posted about this, taken GoPro Max video, tried to drag Jeff Clark and Haley Fiske out there and they smile and then politely don't show up.  I would put the NL130 at the top of the list for big wave foiling BUT I am audience of 1 and

Winging is a whole different animal.

I am still an intermediate winger (~50 sessions).  In Hawaii I grabbed for my GL210 because it gets me up and flying quickly.  But when I was pointing up wind I was struggling to keep up with the swell and it would outrun me.  IF I was flagging on a wave I could keep up with this faster swell riding the wave and pumping but to flag required more energy from the wave face, and therefore I had to be in, or near the break zone.

The wave period picked up to 13 seconds and I switched down to the NL190.  This helped to keep up with the wave speed but was a lot of work to get up and flying.  Constant takeoff and crashing stall. (Probably my technique).  The other guy Chris was on an NL190 and doing better than I was.  BUT, All of this said there were still those 2 guys flagging their wings from the outside.  Something VERY, VERY different AND consistent with the feedback on this thread. 

The sugarplum fairies are dancing in my head.  The new dream is 12 ft @ 10 seconds with 15 knots of wind.  Flagging from the outside at Mavericks.  The only hope is the ART999. 

PS: I will keep my GoFoil foundation but am investing in another set of infrastructure. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 06:32:14 AM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal