Author Topic: The ART 999 Thread  (Read 56911 times)

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The ART 999 Thread
« on: September 17, 2021, 07:57:34 PM »
This wing needs its own thread. The first batch just shipped so bring on the reviews.
I just had first session on it with carbon 86 mast, crazy short and 380 decently powered on a 4.5 Dart with a 80L 5' moon buddy.
Everything you have heard is true. Its effing magical! My first thought was about how lively this wing rides. It wants to carve and go fast and go slow and glide for miles. It was a little challenging to get it unstuck and onto foil. My 1050 gets up in less wind. I will agree with DW that it is comparable to the 980 in take off. The technique is similar where it needed proper hull speed before anything was even ready for liftoff. It is a very subtle pump to engage the foil. I was doing too much pumping and it didn't work. I think I will try my chopped down 400 to see if that helps with lift off.  Anyway, once up it was amazing. The other big thing I noticed was how slippery it was through the water. Its was easier than ever on my body and arms because there was so little drag. The turning is very ankly and skateboardish. It felt loose on the yah and somewhat tight on the roll. Once I reigned in the pitch control, I was able to rip carves, slightly off wind like I never have before. Carves were solid and powerful. One thing that was a little freaky was that if I carved it really hard, it would get locked into that turn and it was reluctant to let me change sides. I will need a few more sessions to get it dialed. Wingtip breaches were not an issue. Jumping was good. I felt like it had a lot more pop than other HA wings. It came out of the water quick and easy. It re-enterd the water easily too. I luffed the wing out and could pump it as far as I wanted with 1/2 the effort or any other foils except for the 1150. I'm going to try the ultrashort with it and see if it smooths things out. Super stoked on it and will report more sessions as they come. Send it!!!!!!!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The ART 999 Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 04:42:57 PM »
One thing that was a little freaky was that if I carved it really hard, it would get locked into that turn and it was reluctant to let me change sides. I will need a few more sessions to get it dialed.
Yeah, this is what myself, and a couple of the others who've tried it in the surf found also.

3.) As far as turning goes, you can make a longer, more drawn out turn with it, but trying to really surf it top to bottom...the wide wing span makes it a little difficult to transition top to bottom in comparison to some of the more "surfy", smaller Axis wings (BCS 810, PNG 850, or even the HPS 880) on a sup.
But like you, I want to experiment some more with different tails, even different mast placement, and see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 04:44:42 PM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 06:46:15 AM »
Apparently there are some new tails soon to be released that work with the 999. Dominic Hoskyns teases them in his review...
https://youtu.be/fZl3gj-YUBo
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 07:45:20 PM »
I got mine yesterday. I was working on my new/old 1990 BMW R100R GS PD all day, even though the doors of the shop were rattling a little. I finally went and had a look--a bunch of kites down in the water waiting for a puff. I should have gone east.

The wing looks silly. No way that thing lifts me, but it does, and I'm enough of a geek to know why. Yes, it deserves its own thread. People will be examining this thing for the next few years. No way a 1000 sq/cm wing with a foil section like a butterknife should work for a fatass like me. But it does. It gets wet tomorrow. Here's what I posted on Facebook:

This is my new 999 wing placed on top of my 890 wing. I'm still a little freaked that the 890 works so well for me, I'm not a lightweight, but I can sort of understand why it does. It's got a fairly thick foil section, and while it's narrow, it's also wide and super high aspect. So while it's smaller than I generally use, it's got a reasonable amount of area, a somewhat chunky foil shape, and it moves through the water easily. In rough terms, lift equals surface area times foil factor times velocity squared. so if I get it going fast enough, it lifts me. I can get up on foil with this thing when the wind is good and I can get going fast. Once I'm up, it's a little better than my old favorite, the Axis 1000. Every time I ride it I like it a little better.

Now let's move to the 999. It's got 1000 sq cm of area and a foil cross-section about as thick as a butter knife. WTF. But here's the thing, it goes through the water just like that hot butter knife. It doesn't seem to require any more speed than the 890 to get me up on foil, but that might just be because it gets to speed so easily. Either that or I don't know what I'm writing about and it's just magic, At any rate, the wing on top makes the wing on the bottom totally obsolete. I should probably just sell the 890 and most of the other wings I own. I doubt I'll ever use them again.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 09:34:14 AM »
Stayed up late last night in the machine shop getting my new ART999 all set up.  My first Axis foil, so I had to adapt it to fit the Cedrus Mast.  If you don't have a machine shop, Kyle sells an adapater.  I saved about $75 by using an Axis DooDad and drilling a new hole instead.

I was saddened to learn that Axis uses 35mm hole spacing for their tails.  I somehow thought we were getting closer to a standard of 30mm hole to hole - I guess not.  The world would be a better place if all fuselages provided a flat mounting surface on the BOTTOM of the fuse and a 30mm holes spacing.  The highly curved tail mount on the top is super annoying to adapt to.  Nothing a bridgeport can't solve though.

Out to surf it tomorrow morning - stayed up too late last night to get in the water this morning.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUCUCnXruX8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 11:45:46 AM »
You gave away the mechanical strength of the doodad.

Now you’ve got a poor design that counts on nothing but screws to prevent the foil from snapping off when you touch a wing tip. I have seen setups like that, snap the screws and foil is gone forever. There is one in the deep blue sea at New Smyrna Beach. You could replace the screws with A286 high strength at $25 each from McMaster for peace of mind.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 01:25:55 PM »
That’s how the project cedrus mast to fuse joint is designed to work.  So far it has worked since M8 fasteners have a lot of meat and going to the high strength doubles the strength

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 03:54:24 AM »
Quick question for 999 riders - I've got a 380 coming with mine but thinking about the best way to extend the low end range for winging. Does the 999 respond well to having a larger tail (say a 420 or even 460?) or is speed everything, so keeping it small the best way forward?
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 07:08:08 AM »
Quick question for 999 riders - I've got a 380 coming with mine but thinking about the best way to extend the low end range for winging. Does the 999 respond well to having a larger tail (say a 420 or even 460?) or is speed everything, so keeping it small the best way forward?

I've found that if you put a bigger rear wing on that you'll get the lower end lift but then you'll also be slower riding. The 999 is very effecient with crazy low end so with a little practice, I don't think you'll need that bigger rear.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 09:20:58 AM »
One session in review:

ART999 best pumping wing that surfs really well
Kujira1210 best surfing wing that pumps really well

I think I have my dream quiver of two.  If I wasn’t so lazy I’d take photos and list all my gofoil for sale that I haven’t touched in months. 

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 12:39:08 PM »
I'm looking closely at a setup like Jondrums but it looks like the jury is still out on this wing as far as being a quiver killer.
Some seems to describe it as the greatest thing since sliced bread for every discipline and some find it more specific to a certain one.

Interesting to see how this thread evolves...
in progress...

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 08:11:20 PM »
2nd ride report in much better conditions than the first...today we had fairly glassy thigh to waist high playful waves.

Paired it with the 460 (because someone else was already using the 400HA) on a crazy short, and found that it just wants to go FAST...the faster the better.

Still had it about an 1" farther back in the tracks than any of the other wings I ride (actually don't move my mast when changing setups), and it still had great initial lift, and had no problem catching most every actual pitching, late drop wave, as it needs a good downhill start to get it to speed to lift like most all high(er) AR wings. Even whitewater takeoffs were very doable, as long as I made sure to get as far forward on the board as possible to hold the dang thing down as I was getting shot out of the cannon. Surprisingly stable given the narrow chord throughout most of its length, but you'll still need to start right on top of it, or it'll want to launch you early to one side if you're not in its more narrow window.

Turns went way better with this combo...as long as I hit the accelerator pedal, and then buried it hard into the turn to engage the flat 460. Try to turn it slow(er), and it loses a bite in the tail, and wants slide the tail out. Now while it "went way better", it's still not a top to bottom, snap it off the whitewater turner like the smaller wings in the surfs. Have a couple more tails I'd like to try just for the heck of it, but still don't expect it to all of a sudden snapping turns left and right due to its length. Now to the really fun part...

The thing glides and pumps forever!! As long as you keep it above its rather high stall speed, it'll pump as far as your stamina will take you.

That all said, probably won't be my "go to" surf setup - except for maybe smaller days like today - but can't wait to get it under a wingding, and might now even give a DWer a try...I think this is the wing for either of those foil disciplines.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 08:46:30 PM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 09:07:12 AM »
The thing glides and pumps forever!! As long as you keep it above its rather high stall speed, it'll pump as far as your stamina will take you.

Does anybody have any speed data on this ART 999 foil?  At a minimum something from an iWatch.

I know that my GoFoil GL280 can go SLOW as in 6 mph and still fly.  Its upper end is ~ 13 mph before it gets wonky.  The GoFoil NL 130, little blue rocket, on the other hand will start stalling around 11 mph, is uncomfortable at 13 mph but can easily handle 23 to 24 mph and occasionally hit 26 mph.  Maybe there is something to this math.  The upper limit is ~ 2X the stall speed. 

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 11:49:32 AM »
review after second ride in bigger surf:
This wing has A LOT of flex.  Stability is funky in funky waves and white-wash - you can feel the wing wobbling around.   But I also started to feel that flex in pumping - if you hit the right cadence, I felt like the wing returns some energy as it "flaps".  Pretty awesome actually.

It wants to be on a rail for turns - does not like flat "pivot" style turns. It washed out and threw me several times, I guess I'm in a habit from the kujira which is perfectly happy to be slashed as well as railed.  The ART999 is plenty maneuverable, just needs to be put on edge with the load going directly down through the foil rather than turned while flat.  In practice this means you need to plan ahead a bit more and get it on edge before you want to turn.

Can't wait to wing on it, I think it will be an excellent winging foil because of how slippery it is - super low drag and comes up smooth as speed increases.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 01:28:04 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal