Author Topic: keeping a center line on a stringerless blank  (Read 2545 times)

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
keeping a center line on a stringerless blank
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:35:51 AM »
i got some precut blanks and i`m trying to figure out how to keep the center line when shaving it down.i guess i could router down the chalk line and pour some colored resin in.any ideas ?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: keeping a center line on a stringerless blank
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:39:26 AM »
Draw one with a sharpie

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 08:04:07 PM »
I use sharpie and sometimes 1/4” tape, less accurate.

But a cool one when shaping and therefore sanding it off over and over is to push a couple of pencil leads from a mechanical pencil into the foam at each end. You can always find the original center line that way to redraw it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 07:50:55 AM »
I use sharpie and sometimes 1/4” tape, less accurate.

But a cool one when shaping and therefore sanding it off over and over is to push a couple of pencil leads from a mechanical pencil into the foam at each end. You can always find the original center line that way to redraw it.

I was going to mention toothpicks on each end and one in the middle, but the lead idea is cooler, especially if you use the thicker lead like Yard-o-led pencils use. The toothpick can get yanked out by a plane.

My only other comment is I'm going to set up a container for shaping and glassing--I'm adding at least one, maybe two RV air conditioners that are surplus to my needs and lots of light. Shaping and glassing makes such a mess that it's glaring, even in my incredibly messy shop.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:54:00 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 01:50:20 PM »

My only other comment is I'm going to set up a container for shaping and glassing--I'm adding at least one, maybe two RV air conditioners that are surplus to my needs and lots of light. Shaping and glassing makes such a mess that it's glaring, even in my incredibly messy shop.

Bill,

I built a dirty room inside my shop. Only need one dirty room. For shaping and sanding. Glass outside the dirty room in your clean shop. Dust Deputy cyclone ahead of your shop vac. All Festool connected to vacuum.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal